banned
    Apr 2009

Nobby Nic/Superfly Question.

I have a newer model TREK Superfly and was wondering whether to put the 2.25 or 2.35 Nobby Nic's on the bike. I currently have 2.25 racing ralphs and see the side nobs really protrude compared to these..

do not know if they will even fit on my Bike (I am assuming they will)---

BUT WHAT is the difference in size for Rocky/rooty South East/ Central Pa. riding.. Is there a difference really with the size that much??

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    The 2.25 will definitely work. The 2.35 will also...but that's pushing it. I have great luck with Bontrager 29.3 Team Issue 2.25 front and Bontrager 29.1 EXP 2.20 rear.
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

Carbon & Ti rule
    The 2.25 is around 100 grams less than the 2.35.

On my Rip9 RDO I find the 2.25 on the rear & 2.35 front is a good combo.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I run a 2.25 NN Perf. on the front and a 2.25 RaRa on the back of my ht. Less washout than with a RaRa also up front.

banned
    Apr 2009
    Less washout than with a RaRa also up front.
    Yeah that is why I want it (plus need something more beefy for these trails..)

I'll go with the 2.25 for these (just cause I had good luck with flipping the front and back on my Ralphs because the rear would wear a little faster, with my Clyde self..)---but I had them for 2-3 seasons (the Racing Ralphs)--and will put them on Craigslist for $20 for both, casue there is still a lot of trail left on them (I just need something beefier next year with riding more aggressive trails, bigger rocks and roots!!)

--thanks for replies everyone!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    You had Racing Ralph's for 2 or 3 seasons!? Out back I've never had a Schwalbe last more than a few months and that was a Nic. Love Schwalbe when they are new but they don't last for me or any of my friends even Dampfs tear side lugs on the front quickly.

banned
    Apr 2009
    You had Racing Ralph's for 2 or 3 seasons!? Out back I've never had a Schwalbe last more than a few months and that was a Nic. Love Schwalbe when they are new but they don't last for me or any of my friends
    I used my Ralphs for the last 2 years (covering 3 seasons now of riding)--I ride the rockiest/rootiest trails in the Country (South East Pa.).. I have put over 1,500 miles on these tires and looks like I still have at least 60% of the tread left (enclosing pics.) Some of the middle nobs have worn a little but the outside ones are still pretty good!!

I have the Snakeskin ones also---I just need more grip now that I am going faster on the rocks and roots.. I have never fallen hard yet (so they do grip well, just want a Bigger Bite now that I am a more experienced rider..)----ALSO I ride a 29er Hardtail (so I try to pick lines and not plow through stuff)---

I also rotate them every year (front and back) cause the back one wears more..

here are trails I ride also (they are no joke)---but I try to ride hard rocky stuff (not too fast and flowy.. but the 'in between trails' I have ridden at the rocky places do have smooth, flowy, turny (hardly rocky) single track areas... Plus I do like a 1 to 1.5 hour ride 3-5 times each week over this time (anywhere from 5-10+ miles basically) routinely... I do this from April to October basically so I have out miles on (though I took about 4 months off the last 2 seasons total with building a new bike and leaving the State and not riding.....)---but I ride consistently (as much as possible) smaller rides during the week and longer rides on the weekends...

French Creek - Milltown Creek Trail (white/red) - YouTube

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    WOW, you easily take the record for most mileage on any Schwalbe. My rear Nick 400 miles, 700 on the front, my friends and I have slayed the knobs off of the Dampf even. I'm losing faith in this brand.