Thread: Nobby Nic?

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Nobby Nic?

I just got 2.35 Nobby Nic for a front tire. It looks like it would roll faster put on reverse.
    Has anybody tried this? If so what did you think?

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I have not personally tried it but read a review on another bike site- the tester didn't notice much difference in rolling or traction. He mounted them backwards (according the Schwalbe directions) for his first rides then found the directional arrow on the tire.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by yeti 575 View Post
    I just got 2.35 Nobby Nic for a front tire. It looks like it would roll faster put on reverse.
    Has anybody tried this? If so what did you think?
    The center tread is your predominant contact patch. Those knobs have the harder rubber on the Nics and rate very well in the rolling resistance department (not far from the Racing Ralph in fact). The side knobs are the softer rubber for cornering traction. As a front tire, I'd say keep it in the direction Schwalbe suggests for maximum cornering traction (which I assume is why you have it on the front in the first place). The main contact patch (center knobs) won't change whether you are running it forwards or backwards.

If you want a faster tire that weighs less, why not run the 2.35 Racing Ralph up front instead of the Nic to save weight and rolling resistance?

orthonormal
    Quote Originally Posted by teleken View Post
    I have not personally tried it but read a review on another bike site- the tester didn't notice much difference in rolling or traction. He mounted them backwards (according the Schwalbe directions) for his first rides then found the directional arrow on the tire.
    I did the same thing. Didn't look at the sidewall for the directional arrows and mounted them backwards because that's the way they looked right to me. I found the arrows after my second ride and kept them that way for 4-5 more rides before I got around to changing them. I don't notice a difference in performance until I really start to lean hard in the turns, where running them the right way works slightly better.

Edit: Either way, the NN 29x2.25 is my current favorite XC/trail tire.
    The glass is twice as large as it needs to be

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I was looking at the the Ralph but I read alot reviews about yhe sidewalls being weak!
    And they dont offer the the snakeskin in the 2.35 Or I would have.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown View Post
    The center tread is your predominant contact patch. Those knobs have the harder rubber on the Nics and rate very well in the rolling resistance department (not far from the Racing Ralph in fact). The side knobs are the softer rubber for cornering traction. As a front tire, I'd say keep it in the direction Schwalbe suggests for maximum cornering traction (which I assume is why you have it on the front in the first place). The main contact patch (center knobs) won't change whether you are running it forwards or backwards.

If you want a faster tire that weighs less, why not run the 2.35 Racing Ralph up front instead of the Nic to save weight and rolling resistance?
    +1

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown View Post

Probably because the cornering traction on the NN is that much better than on the RR.
    I had been running RR for years and was washing out the tires in corners too much. Put on a NN as a front and noticed the immediate improved traction in the corners. Now my back wheel was washing out too much....so I put a NN on the rear as well and the overall traction improvement has been inspiring. Rolling resistance really isn't all that much different, in fact I've had faster Strava times since switching to NN over the RR.

Michael

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    NN front...RaRa rear...great summer setup. Winter I throw a NN on the rear for mud.

Cheers
    Mike

mtbr member
    Wouldn't running the front tire "backwards" offer better braking and cornering under braking at the slight expense of a little rolling resistance?
    the side knobs on the Nobby Nic looks to me to be better arranged with the sipeing cut forward at the contact patch on the front tire..
    Any feedback?

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by flyinmike View Post
    Wouldn't running the front tire "backwards" offer better braking and cornering under braking at the slight expense of a little rolling resistance?
    the side knobs on the Nobby Nic looks to me to be better arranged with the sipeing cut forward at the contact patch on the front tire..
    Any feedback?

Not sure if this is what you are asking but mounted "correctly" according to the directional arrow the Nobby Nic side knobs do have the sipeing open towards the front.
    I assume that is so they will open once the tire is leaned into a corner and spread out for cornering traction. Would that work in opposite for braking? probably but only if you are breaking AND the tire is on a lean. Personally I don't think either direction would make a major difference (to me) since each ride has different trail conditions dependent on location and moisture.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Nobby Nic?

Braking is over rated...cornering is where it's at. :-)

Cheers,
    Mike

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    The "backwards looking" orientation of the side knobs is intentional (according to Schwalbe) and the tires should provide better cornering traction when oriented according to the arrow on the sidewall. I have not tried running them backwards myself, but the NN is my go-to front tire.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I am running a Nobby Nic on my rear tire and the center lugs wore down in a hurry. I am running the Hans Dampf on the front tire and it seems indestructible.