Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I like turtles

Niner RDO seatpost...anyone?

Anyone try this one? Apparently has quite a bit of deflection. Thinking next year's upgrade will include some carbon goodness...I have held out and been fairly anti-carbon...but the times are a changin'!
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    I just got one on my Jet RDO. So far, so good. Niner carbon seems to be of excellent quality.
    -boom

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I used one for half of this season - a bit heavy but on a hardtail the flex really smooths out the chatter / rough sections and has never loosened / caused me any problems to date.

lamer
    I also have one on my Jet9 RDO and haven't had a single problem with it in the last 3 months or so. It's a bit harder to tell on a FS bike, but I'd have to say that the deflection is noticeable. I rode a RIP9 with a Thomson post for a couple of months before switching to the Jet9 RDO and RDO post, and, although it's not the greatest comparison, things are smoother.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I have one on my Jet 9 RDO and one on my Air 9 RDO.

The flex is very noticable on the HT. Cannot say that i need it on the FS though but hey everything for the looks.

IMHO you will not be disappointed. If you wanna use it on a non Niner perhaps you should look at the Syntace P6 Hiflex. Same priciple.

mtbr member
    Have one on my Jet 9 RDO and love it. Deflection is noticable(to me) and my LBS promotes the RDO Post over selling me a Thompson! They all use them and think they are the best seat post out there. They do sell others, but they all like the Niner the best.
    Single Track Rules!

The Missing
    May 2007
    Post deflects as much as any other quality carbon post. Compared to my Ritchey, Enve, and Easton. THomsons are rough for sure. I always use carbon.

COTA member
    Have one on my Niner J9RDO and AC9. No complaints.

mtbr member
    Kewl, but I'd like to see their deflection results compared to an eriksen sweetpost, which costs only a little more.

I like turtles
    Lots of folks on FS bikes here...I have a had time believing that you will notice any min. post deflection/movement on a FS.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Syntace makes high quality components.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Interesting. I'm going to be building up a 29er hardtail and maybe I'll have to add something like this to the "build wishlist".

Besides the Niner post, what are the others worth a look at?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Question for those running this post on hard tails. How much post are you showing? I know the benefits would start to diminish as the post is pushed in more but wondering to what degree.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Nail Every Trail View Post

Besides the Niner post, what are the others worth a look at?
    Syntace P6 hiflex. It's supposed to be the same as the niner but with a better clamp that offers more support for the seat rails. Also has a 10 year warranty.

I have one on the way as we speak. Going to be using it on my Yelli screamy. I'll post a report once I try it.

just some guy
    Quote Originally Posted by sand0kan View Post
    IMHO you will not be disappointed. If you wanna use it on a non Niner perhaps you should look at the Syntace P6 Hiflex. Same principle.
    I'm confused; this post will only work on a Niner?

just some guy
    Quote Originally Posted by 92gli View Post
    Syntace P6 hiflex. It's supposed to be the same as the niner but with a better clamp that offers more support for the seat rails. Also has a 10 year warranty.

I have one on the way as we speak. Going to be using it on my Yelli screamy. I'll post a report once I try it.
    Ritchey has one out now too, called the "WCS CARBON FLEXLOGIC LINK". it doesn't say it's specifically for 29ers though.

lamer
    Quote Originally Posted by talabardio View Post
    I'm confused; this post will only work on a Niner?
    No, it'll work on anything. I think that it's mostly just Niner owners that are attracted to the Niner-branded post.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by D_Man View Post
    Kewl, but I'd like to see their deflection results compared to an eriksen sweetpost, which costs only a little more.
    And you still have the Eriksen in 20 years and not be afraid to ride it.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by talabardio View Post
    it doesn't say it's specifically for 29ers though.
    Wait... P6 hiflex isn't german for "stick this in your 29er" ?

banned
    Have Syntace bars and really like them. Considering a Syntace or Niner post. As someone else mentioned. For just a couple of bucks more. You can get a TI post that has a much better chance of lasting for many years.

Does frame material matter? Seems like a carbon post would be better for AL and carbon. TI post for steel and TI frames?

Cannondale also has a flex carbon post out as well.

just some guy
    Do the ti posts absorb as much as the carbon posts do?

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Syntace has a 10 year warranty and a generous crash replacement policy. Thats good enough for me.

I would already have an eriksen post if it used the thomson style clamp. I had a bontrager post with the style clamp he uses on one of my bikes a few years ago and bent the ti rails on a nice seat the first day out. Not enough support. Probably not be an issue if you use a seat with solid cro-mo rails.

mtbr member
    I'm on the same boat between rdo and hiflex. Can't wait to ride the rdo in my A9C in SS.

mtbr member
    I am actually looking at the Niner carbon post / not the RDO. I wonder how well it stacks up...
    “People fear death even more than pain. It's strange that they fear death. Life hurts a lot more than death." JM

I like turtles
    Can someone compare/contrast the Syntace and the Niner? They both are about the same price and supposedly have hi-flex characteristics.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    i have the Control Tech Carbon M post. there is noticable deflection. Then againI am a clyde

Fat & Single
    Syntace HiFlex

Awesome seatpost !
    Trek 9.9 Superfly SL
    FM190 Fatty
    Indy Fab Deluxe 29
    Pivot Vault CX
    Cervelo R3 Disc

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TiGeo View Post
    Can someone compare/contrast the Syntace and the Niner? They both are about the same price and supposedly have hi-flex characteristics.
    Have both, cant tell the difference.

If your looking for a 31.6 rdo post I've got a brand new moondust one that I'd consider selling.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by GTR2ebike View Post
    Have both, cant tell the difference.

If your looking for a 31.6 rdo post I've got a brand new moondust one that I'd consider selling.
    How much for the RDO post? I need one...email me

It's carbon dontcha know.
    Quote Originally Posted by 92gli View Post
    Syntace has a 10 year warranty and a generous crash replacement policy. Thats good enough for me.

I would already have an eriksen post if it used the thomson style clamp. I had a bontrager post with the style clamp he uses on one of my bikes a few years ago and bent the ti rails on a nice seat the first day out. Not enough support. Probably not be an issue if you use a seat with solid cro-mo rails.
    I've had the Eriksen on my Lynskey for a few thousand miles, definitely happy with it
    Rolling on 29", 650b, 8.3" and 23mm

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I have Syntace P6 HiFlex on my hardtail...love it. Made a pretty big difference coming from stock post. You can definitely feel it flex under there which is what I wanted. The 10 year warranty truth be told is what sold me over the Niner.

That being said, bought the new RDO handlebar, also a thing of beauty.

I like turtles
    Got the Niner RDO and rode today. Sick. Really works. Back/body noticeably less fatigued after ~1 hour ride. Kills the roots etc. My comparison is to the stock Specy post which I thought flexed a lot. I think its combo of flex AND vib dampening. Anyway, highly recommend. Has a 5 year warranty..who keeps there stuff that long anyway?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I am in the process of switching to a carbon setpost also. I say process because the seat post keeps on moving on me when I am out on the trail. The LBS has narrowed the problem down to the grease from the previous seatpost needs to be cleaned out more. So make sure you clean out the grease from the previous seatpost.

As far perfermonce, I did notice the ride was a bit smoother.

Goood Luck!
    2014 Giant Anthem X Advanced 1 29er
    2012 Specialized Stumpjumper EVO HT 29er

mtbr member
    Got the Niner RDO and rode today. Sick. Really works. Back/body noticeably less fatigued after ~1 hour ride. Kills the roots etc. My comparison is to the stock Specy post which I thought flexed a lot. I think its combo of flex AND vib dampening. Anyway, highly recommend. Has a 5 year warranty..who keeps there stuff that long anyway?
    I noticed same with my A9C SS.

mtbr member
    I purchased Hylix carbon seatpost off ebay lasy November have put a 1000 miles on it this year and its held up great! I think I paid about $40 for it including shipping. Great flex to help smooth out the rough stuff on my Niner Air9 HT.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I just got one on my Jet RDO. So far, so good. Niner carbon seems to be of excellent quality.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Does the Niner Carbon Post have the same flex characteristics as the Carbon RDO post?

It looks like the only difference is the clamp (and the associated lighter weight).

I like turtles
    Third ride on the RDO...again, definitely more compliant than the stockers aluminum one that came on my bike. I am going to be anal and follow the install directions (I was in a hurry when I got it to ride) by applying a carbon paste but so far it hasn't slipped. I cleaned out the seat tube pretty well but will actually degrease it when I apply the paste. So far, I would say it was worth the price over standard carbon posts out there.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by LeonD View Post
    Does the Niner Carbon Post have the same flex characteristics as the Carbon RDO post?
    Nope. It's a different post. The RDO has varying wall thickness to give it more flex. I've had the syntace version for a bit now and it really does help a bit with back fatigue on longer rides.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    I am going to be anal and follow the install directions (I was in a hurry when I got it to ride) by applying a carbon paste but so far it hasn't slipped.
    Does niner advise using paste ? Syntace actually says to clean out grease and spray a small amount of silicone spray in the seat tube. Carbon paste not recommended because it accelerates wear of the outer finish.

Anyway... I just installed mine dry and it hasn't moved a bit.

I like turtles
    ^^^ Yes, they recommend it in their owner's manual.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I have the RDO post on my rigid Niner One9. No complaints so far.

Got A Lust for Life...
    I've had a Niner post now for a full season on Tallboy. Love it!
    I am immune to your disdain.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Those of you riding either the hi-flex or RDO on FS, do you think it's a noticeable difference to a non-flex post?

I'm looking for a new post for my Spec Epic from the stock and was looking at these vs the Thomson Masterpiece. Thomson is about $40 less (on Amazon) and a wee bit lighter. Not sure if the flex would really do much for a carbon FS?

Thanks

I like turtles
    I just don't get how you would notice the small amount of flex/deflection on a FS...I would save my money and just get either a 1) nice al post like a Tompson or 2) a cheaper carbon post.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Yeah, Like tigeo says - kind of no point. But if you ever build a hardtail, get one ! One of the better bike part buys I've ever made.

mtbr member
    I've read up on these recently, so that's all I can pass on.

Both are one piece, that is, the head is not bonded to the stem.
    Both flex over the length of the post.
    Weights are comparable
    Niner states the max forward/aft flex of the RDO to be 8mm
    Syntace doesn't say how much forward/aft flex

One report on the Syntace stated 5mm flex in response to a weight, but didn't say how much the weight was.

BikeRadar said 1 to 2 cm, but that seems excessive.

I've seen the Syntace as low as $160, the RDO no lower than $198.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

mtbr member
    If you see it again for $160 post the link please.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by limba View Post
    If you see it again for $160 post the link please.
    Ooops, take it back. That's an older bonded version.

Treefort, eBikestop and Jenson have it for $180-185, though
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    The syntace (which I have) has a longer bottom perch for the seat rails, which offers better support for ti and carbon rails. Syntace also has a 10 year warranty and a crash replacement deal. I've read the actual carbon layup is identical and done in the same factory as the niner post.

The syntace 30.9 can be had on amazon for $166 shipped (from speedgoat).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast