Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

Niner RDO seatpost...anyone?

Anyone try this one? Apparently has quite a bit of deflection. Thinking next year's upgrade will include some carbon goodness...I have held out and been fairly anti-carbon...but the times are a changin'!
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    I just got one on my Jet RDO. So far, so good. Niner carbon seems to be of excellent quality.
    -boom

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I used one for half of this season - a bit heavy but on a hardtail the flex really smooths out the chatter / rough sections and has never loosened / caused me any problems to date.

lamer
    I also have one on my Jet9 RDO and haven't had a single problem with it in the last 3 months or so. It's a bit harder to tell on a FS bike, but I'd have to say that the deflection is noticeable. I rode a RIP9 with a Thomson post for a couple of months before switching to the Jet9 RDO and RDO post, and, although it's not the greatest comparison, things are smoother.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I have one on my Jet 9 RDO and one on my Air 9 RDO.

The flex is very noticable on the HT. Cannot say that i need it on the FS though but hey everything for the looks.

IMHO you will not be disappointed. If you wanna use it on a non Niner perhaps you should look at the Syntace P6 Hiflex. Same priciple.

mtbr member
    Have one on my Jet 9 RDO and love it. Deflection is noticable(to me) and my LBS promotes the RDO Post over selling me a Thompson! They all use them and think they are the best seat post out there. They do sell others, but they all like the Niner the best.
    Single Track Rules!

The Missing
    May 2007
    Post deflects as much as any other quality carbon post. Compared to my Ritchey, Enve, and Easton. THomsons are rough for sure. I always use carbon.

COTA member
    Have one on my Niner J9RDO and AC9. No complaints.

mtbr member
    Kewl, but I'd like to see their deflection results compared to an eriksen sweetpost, which costs only a little more.

mtbr member
    Lots of folks on FS bikes here...I have a had time believing that you will notice any min. post deflection/movement on a FS.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Syntace makes high quality components.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Interesting. I'm going to be building up a 29er hardtail and maybe I'll have to add something like this to the "build wishlist".

Besides the Niner post, what are the others worth a look at?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Question for those running this post on hard tails. How much post are you showing? I know the benefits would start to diminish as the post is pushed in more but wondering to what degree.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Nail Every Trail View Post

Besides the Niner post, what are the others worth a look at?
    Syntace P6 hiflex. It's supposed to be the same as the niner but with a better clamp that offers more support for the seat rails. Also has a 10 year warranty.

I have one on the way as we speak. Going to be using it on my Yelli screamy. I'll post a report once I try it.

just some guy
    Quote Originally Posted by sand0kan View Post
    IMHO you will not be disappointed. If you wanna use it on a non Niner perhaps you should look at the Syntace P6 Hiflex. Same principle.
    I'm confused; this post will only work on a Niner?

just some guy
    Quote Originally Posted by 92gli View Post
    Syntace P6 hiflex. It's supposed to be the same as the niner but with a better clamp that offers more support for the seat rails. Also has a 10 year warranty.

I have one on the way as we speak. Going to be using it on my Yelli screamy. I'll post a report once I try it.
    Ritchey has one out now too, called the "WCS CARBON FLEXLOGIC LINK". it doesn't say it's specifically for 29ers though.

lamer
    Quote Originally Posted by talabardio View Post
    I'm confused; this post will only work on a Niner?
    No, it'll work on anything. I think that it's mostly just Niner owners that are attracted to the Niner-branded post.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by D_Man View Post
    Kewl, but I'd like to see their deflection results compared to an eriksen sweetpost, which costs only a little more.
    And you still have the Eriksen in 20 years and not be afraid to ride it.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by talabardio View Post
    it doesn't say it's specifically for 29ers though.
    Wait... P6 hiflex isn't german for "stick this in your 29er" ?

banned
    Have Syntace bars and really like them. Considering a Syntace or Niner post. As someone else mentioned. For just a couple of bucks more. You can get a TI post that has a much better chance of lasting for many years.

Does frame material matter? Seems like a carbon post would be better for AL and carbon. TI post for steel and TI frames?

Cannondale also has a flex carbon post out as well.

just some guy
    Do the ti posts absorb as much as the carbon posts do?

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Syntace has a 10 year warranty and a generous crash replacement policy. Thats good enough for me.

I would already have an eriksen post if it used the thomson style clamp. I had a bontrager post with the style clamp he uses on one of my bikes a few years ago and bent the ti rails on a nice seat the first day out. Not enough support. Probably not be an issue if you use a seat with solid cro-mo rails.

mtbr member
    I'm on the same boat between rdo and hiflex. Can't wait to ride the rdo in my A9C in SS.

mtbr member
    I am actually looking at the Niner carbon post / not the RDO. I wonder how well it stacks up...
    “People fear death even more than pain. It's strange that they fear death. Life hurts a lot more than death." JM

mtbr member
    Can someone compare/contrast the Syntace and the Niner? They both are about the same price and supposedly have hi-flex characteristics.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast