• 11-11-2012
    TiGeo
    Niner RDO seatpost...anyone?
    Anyone try this one? Apparently has quite a bit of deflection. Thinking next year's upgrade will include some carbon goodness...I have held out and been fairly anti-carbon...but the times are a changin'!
  • 11-11-2012
    boomvader
    I just got one on my Jet RDO. So far, so good. Niner carbon seems to be of excellent quality.
  • 11-11-2012
    broadwayline
    I used one for half of this season - a bit heavy but on a hardtail the flex really smooths out the chatter / rough sections and has never loosened / caused me any problems to date.
  • 11-11-2012
    llamma
    I also have one on my Jet9 RDO and haven't had a single problem with it in the last 3 months or so. It's a bit harder to tell on a FS bike, but I'd have to say that the deflection is noticeable. I rode a RIP9 with a Thomson post for a couple of months before switching to the Jet9 RDO and RDO post, and, although it's not the greatest comparison, things are smoother.
  • 11-11-2012
    sand0kan
    I have one on my Jet 9 RDO and one on my Air 9 RDO.

The flex is very noticable on the HT. Cannot say that i need it on the FS though but hey everything for the looks.

IMHO you will not be disappointed. If you wanna use it on a non Niner perhaps you should look at the Syntace P6 Hiflex. Same priciple.
  • 11-11-2012
    HouseNotes
    Have one on my Jet 9 RDO and love it. Deflection is noticable(to me) and my LBS promotes the RDO Post over selling me a Thompson! They all use them and think they are the best seat post out there. They do sell others, but they all like the Niner the best.
  • 11-11-2012
    pernfilman
    Post deflects as much as any other quality carbon post. Compared to my Ritchey, Enve, and Easton. THomsons are rough for sure. I always use carbon.
  • 11-11-2012
    Dry Side
    Have one on my Niner J9RDO and AC9. No complaints.
  • 11-12-2012
    D_Man
    Kewl, but I'd like to see their deflection results compared to an eriksen sweetpost, which costs only a little more.
  • 11-13-2012
    TiGeo
    Lots of folks on FS bikes here...I have a had time believing that you will notice any min. post deflection/movement on a FS.
  • 11-13-2012
    Dambala
    Syntace makes high quality components.
  • 11-13-2012
    Nail Every Trail
    Interesting. I'm going to be building up a 29er hardtail and maybe I'll have to add something like this to the "build wishlist".

Besides the Niner post, what are the others worth a look at?
  • 11-13-2012
    riding29
    Question for those running this post on hard tails. How much post are you showing? I know the benefits would start to diminish as the post is pushed in more but wondering to what degree.
  • 11-13-2012
    92gli
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Nail Every Trail View Post

Besides the Niner post, what are the others worth a look at?

Syntace P6 hiflex. It's supposed to be the same as the niner but with a better clamp that offers more support for the seat rails. Also has a 10 year warranty.

I have one on the way as we speak. Going to be using it on my Yelli screamy. I'll post a report once I try it.
  • 11-13-2012
    talabardio
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sand0kan View Post
    IMHO you will not be disappointed. If you wanna use it on a non Niner perhaps you should look at the Syntace P6 Hiflex. Same principle.

I'm confused; this post will only work on a Niner?
  • 11-13-2012
    talabardio
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 92gli View Post
    Syntace P6 hiflex. It's supposed to be the same as the niner but with a better clamp that offers more support for the seat rails. Also has a 10 year warranty.

I have one on the way as we speak. Going to be using it on my Yelli screamy. I'll post a report once I try it.

Ritchey has one out now too, called the "WCS CARBON FLEXLOGIC LINK". it doesn't say it's specifically for 29ers though.;)
  • 11-13-2012
    llamma
    Quote:

Originally Posted by talabardio View Post
    I'm confused; this post will only work on a Niner?

No, it'll work on anything. I think that it's mostly just Niner owners that are attracted to the Niner-branded post.
  • 11-13-2012
    AKamp
    Quote:

Originally Posted by D_Man View Post
    Kewl, but I'd like to see their deflection results compared to an eriksen sweetpost, which costs only a little more.

And you still have the Eriksen in 20 years and not be afraid to ride it.
  • 11-13-2012
    92gli
    Quote:

Originally Posted by talabardio View Post
    it doesn't say it's specifically for 29ers though.;)

Wait... P6 hiflex isn't german for "stick this in your 29er" ?
  • 11-13-2012
    Mojo Troll
    Have Syntace bars and really like them. Considering a Syntace or Niner post. As someone else mentioned. For just a couple of bucks more. You can get a TI post that has a much better chance of lasting for many years.

Does frame material matter? Seems like a carbon post would be better for AL and carbon. TI post for steel and TI frames?

Cannondale also has a flex carbon post out as well.
  • 11-13-2012
    talabardio
    Do the ti posts absorb as much as the carbon posts do?
  • 11-14-2012
    92gli
    Syntace has a 10 year warranty and a generous crash replacement policy. Thats good enough for me.

I would already have an eriksen post if it used the thomson style clamp. I had a bontrager post with the style clamp he uses on one of my bikes a few years ago and bent the ti rails on a nice seat the first day out. Not enough support. Probably not be an issue if you use a seat with solid cro-mo rails.
  • 11-22-2012
    j69nx
    I'm on the same boat between rdo and hiflex. Can't wait to ride the rdo in my A9C in SS.
  • 11-22-2012
    Pauldotcom
    I am actually looking at the Niner carbon post / not the RDO. I wonder how well it stacks up...
  • 11-22-2012
    TiGeo
    Can someone compare/contrast the Syntace and the Niner? They both are about the same price and supposedly have hi-flex characteristics.