Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Niner RDO seatpost...anyone?

25K views 65 replies 37 participants last post by  TiGeo 
#1 ·
Anyone try this one? Apparently has quite a bit of deflection. Thinking next year's upgrade will include some carbon goodness...I have held out and been fairly anti-carbon...but the times are a changin'!

Reactions: muzzanic
#4 ·
I also have one on my Jet9 RDO and haven't had a single problem with it in the last 3 months or so. It's a bit harder to tell on a FS bike, but I'd have to say that the deflection is noticeable. I rode a RIP9 with a Thomson post for a couple of months before switching to the Jet9 RDO and RDO post, and, although it's not the greatest comparison, things are smoother.

#5 ·
I have one on my Jet 9 RDO and one on my Air 9 RDO.

The flex is very noticable on the HT. Cannot say that i need it on the FS though but hey everything for the looks.

IMHO you will not be disappointed. If you wanna use it on a non Niner perhaps you should look at the Syntace P6 Hiflex. Same priciple.

#6 ·
Have one on my Jet 9 RDO and love it. Deflection is noticable(to me) and my LBS promotes the RDO Post over selling me a Thompson! They all use them and think they are the best seat post out there. They do sell others, but they all like the Niner the best.

#20 ·
Have Syntace bars and really like them. Considering a Syntace or Niner post. As someone else mentioned. For just a couple of bucks more. You can get a TI post that has a much better chance of lasting for many years.

Does frame material matter? Seems like a carbon post would be better for AL and carbon. TI post for steel and TI frames?

Cannondale also has a flex carbon post out as well.

#22 ·
Syntace has a 10 year warranty and a generous crash replacement policy. Thats good enough for me.

I would already have an eriksen post if it used the thomson style clamp. I had a bontrager post with the style clamp he uses on one of my bikes a few years ago and bent the ti rails on a nice seat the first day out. Not enough support. Probably not be an issue if you use a seat with solid cro-mo rails.

#25 ·
Can someone compare/contrast the Syntace and the Niner? They both are about the same price and supposedly have hi-flex characteristics.

#31 ·
I have Syntace P6 HiFlex on my hardtail...love it. Made a pretty big difference coming from stock post. You can definitely feel it flex under there which is what I wanted. The 10 year warranty truth be told is what sold me over the Niner.

That being said, bought the new RDO handlebar, also a thing of beauty.

#32 ·
Got the Niner RDO and rode today. Sick. Really works. Back/body noticeably less fatigued after ~1 hour ride. Kills the roots etc. My comparison is to the stock Specy post which I thought flexed a lot. I think its combo of flex AND vib dampening. Anyway, highly recommend. Has a 5 year warranty..who keeps there stuff that long anyway?

#33 ·
I am in the process of switching to a carbon setpost also. I say process because the seat post keeps on moving on me when I am out on the trail. The LBS has narrowed the problem down to the grease from the previous seatpost needs to be cleaned out more. So make sure you clean out the grease from the previous seatpost.

As far perfermonce, I did notice the ride was a bit smoother.

Goood Luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.