Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Niner RDO seatpost...anyone?

25K views 65 replies 37 participants last post by  TiGeo 
#1 ·
Anyone try this one? Apparently has quite a bit of deflection. Thinking next year's upgrade will include some carbon goodness...I have held out and been fairly anti-carbon...but the times are a changin'!

Reactions: muzzanic
#38 ·
Third ride on the RDO...again, definitely more compliant than the stockers aluminum one that came on my bike. I am going to be anal and follow the install directions (I was in a hurry when I got it to ride) by applying a carbon paste but so far it hasn't slipped. I cleaned out the seat tube pretty well but will actually degrease it when I apply the paste. So far, I would say it was worth the price over standard carbon posts out there.

#40 ·
I am going to be anal and follow the install directions (I was in a hurry when I got it to ride) by applying a carbon paste but so far it hasn't slipped.
Does niner advise using paste ? Syntace actually says to clean out grease and spray a small amount of silicone spray in the seat tube. Carbon paste not recommended because it accelerates wear of the outer finish.

Anyway... I just installed mine dry and it hasn't moved a bit.

#44 ·
Those of you riding either the hi-flex or RDO on FS, do you think it's a noticeable difference to a non-flex post?

I'm looking for a new post for my Spec Epic from the stock and was looking at these vs the Thomson Masterpiece. Thomson is about $40 less (on Amazon) and a wee bit lighter. Not sure if the flex would really do much for a carbon FS?

Thanks

#45 ·
I just don't get how you would notice the small amount of flex/deflection on a FS...I would save my money and just get either a 1) nice al post like a Tompson or 2) a cheaper carbon post.

#50 ·
The syntace (which I have) has a longer bottom perch for the seat rails, which offers better support for ti and carbon rails. Syntace also has a 10 year warranty and a crash replacement deal. I've read the actual carbon layup is identical and done in the same factory as the niner post.

The syntace 30.9 can be had on amazon for $166 shipped (from speedgoat).

#55 ·
Sure enough it is....I would contact them. They have been very good with giving me some sort of discount usually 10% off. I know the discount coupon RealDeal works for 10% off, Just tried it and it brought it down to 157 and some change. There was also one that I have used for purchases over 300 - 15off300. Not sure that works any longer but worth a try

#63 ·
I use the RDO on my A9C RDO. It does take the sting out of the little bumps and is noticeable.

Some day there will be a suspension seatpost that: is lightweight carbon, doesn't provoke staring and actually works too... till then, it's the RDO for me.

Anyone have a look at the Ergon "strut" style seatpost? That looks interesting, but it isn't approved for mtb's as far as I can tell..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.