mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Niner carbon fork 15mm thru axle vs standard drop outs

What advantages to paying $150 more for thru axle?

Dirty South Underdog
    IMHO, the added security and convenience of not using a QR is the #1 reason. Additionally, it's very very stiff and accurate through techy stuff.
    Brickhouse Blog (most known unknown)

Just Riding Along- best internet radio show on Mountain Bike Radio

Trail Ninja
    Obviously worth $150 more because 15QR is better, since the TA makes it stiffer. 15QR makes a suspension fork better and stiffer than QR, so the same obviously applies to rigid forks...

(yes, that was sarcasm)

If I were in the market for a Niner rigid fork, I'd personally would consider getting the $300 QR version at JensonUSA. $550 for a rigid fork just doesn't sit well with me.

Start slow and taper off
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea138 View Post
    IMHO, the added security and convenience of not using a QR is the #1 reason. Additionally, it's very very stiff and accurate through techy stuff.
    How is the thru axle more convenient? I don't find them more convenient but maybe I'm missing something.
    My Artwork

Hard words break no bones, fine words butter no parsnips.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Varaxis View Post
    Obviously worth $150 more because 15QR is better, since the TA makes it stiffer. 15QR makes a suspension fork better and stiffer than QR, so the same obviously applies to rigid forks...

(yes, that was sarcasm)

If I were in the market for a Niner rigid fork, I'd personally would consider getting the $300 QR version at JensonUSA. $550 for a rigid fork just doesn't sit well with me.
    Yes I saw that at jenson...great price for QR.
    Thanks for input so far.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    15mm Niner RDO is easier for me....I can go back and forth with my 15mm Fox fork and not worry about changing my hub's axle

mtbr member
    May 2007
    It also allows the brakes to be more consistently lined up when taking the wheel in and out.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by neveride View Post
    How is the thru axle more convenient? I don't find them more convenient but maybe I'm missing something.
    For the average user, with a bike in a stand, try to line up a QR wheel, consistently, each and every time. Just won't happen. Any TA will line up, consistently, each and every time.

change is good
    Sep 2004
    I use a Halo bolt on skewer on my Niner and it tracks well for this clyde through rock gardens. I wonder how stiff a rigid fork has to be?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Why is TA stiffer on a rigid fork? I can understand getting a TA to match your wheelset or to be compatible with current or future bikes.

Trail Ninja
    Quote Originally Posted by c_trail_biker View Post
    Why is TA stiffer on a rigid fork? I can understand getting a TA to match your wheelset or to be compatible with current or future bikes.
    I don't believe there are any official claims that state that it boasts much improved stiffness over the QR version. Maybe the RDO version has a new carbon layup, but I don't just a dropout change and use of a thru axle really changes much in terms of stiffness.

Thru axles spread loads more evenly between joined parts. It helps suspension forks and linkages a lot since forces can act different upon each fork leg or half of the swingarm, since one half may be heavier, due to drivetrain parts or brakes hanging off of one side or a spring only being in one leg and offering more resistance. The net effect of the TA is that it reduces the effects of flex that you feel, which results in a part that feels stiffer than if the same part was done with a more flexible connection. If a part isn't flexing to begin with, it doesn't make it all that stiffer.

People are talking more about the convenience of the 15QR than stiffness. Is it worth $150 (or $250, if you are looking at the sale priced QR fork)? I have a 29er front wheel with a 15QR DT 350 hub that's a decent spare. Would I spend $550 and use that wheel, or spend $300 and either use an existing QR wheel I have or get another? The reason that wheel is a spare is because I converted my CK hub + Edge Rim wheelset to 15QR to run in a new bike. If I wanted to run that wheel in a bike that I plan to use the rigid fork on, do I get the 15QR version for convenience, or convert my wheel? Personally, I'd still go for that on sale QR version. I'd only get the 15QR version if it didn't have such a price premium.