mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Newbie looking for some opinions on 29er components

Hello everyone! I am new here and have done alot of searching and reading so please excuse me if there is any duplication in my questions from any previous posts....

I used to ride back about 15 years ago and then had back surgery so for 15 years I always thought I better not do it; well I finally said "you only live once you should try it again"......and here I am so I just started back this year. Now in the past I just had Schwinn but this time I wanted to start moving up a bit so I got a Cannondale 29er Trail 5, nice bike for essentially a beginner again I suppose you'd say.

Question being, sorry for my rambling above, what suggestions do you guys have for components? Stock ones are ok but I would like something a little smoother and reliable. I do some very moderate trails but alot of pavement trails\road so it doesn't get too beat up or anything.

I have read and read and read but I like experience so I wanted to tap you guys as a resource. I was hoping to upgrade as I go but wanted to get some ideas on where to start.
    I have of course hit the easy ones for comfort\peace of mind...pedals, saddle, grips.

Thanks in advance for your help!!

Rogue Exterminator
    Where do you feel the weak links are?

I would say the fork is a great and probably the best place to start.
    Then a lighter wheel set.

Other components upgrade as they break.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    At this point the shifting isn't as smooth as I would like it to be but not saying that it isn't necessarily bad.....I just have seen some very nice drivetrain's out there that look so nice!! Was curious what people seem to like in the way of the different types.

Fork was one thing i had considered....but wasn't sure on which one of course.

Rogue Exterminator
    Shifting isn't smooth could mean several things other then replacing it.
    Could be as simple as a minor adjustment or even just cleaning and lubing.
    Also check things like your derailleur hanger and make sure it isn't bent.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    10-4, thanks for the response! I'm preparing to do a tune up on her so I will check thru that stuff. In the past i didn't really work on my bike too much but now I want to so I'm also trying to learn what works with what etc.

Thanks again!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Also, one thing a lot of beginners don't understand is that shifting while underload is never going to work well, even with top of the line components.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Check your hanger for bend. This is pretty easy to see once you get used to it. But also check for twist, a little harder to see. You can adjust it with care and practice.
    Or take it to a lbs with the Park's gauge and stick around to watch the tech work on it.
    Next, for an upgrade better than new components in value do a lined housing and slick stainless cable full length run with Jagwire. REI has a Novara/Jagwire kit for $19.
    Novara Shift Cable Kit at REI.com
    Read the reviews and follow the recommendations. Including supergluing the cable end before running through the housing and making big loops.
    Do this and you will forget about upgrading.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    Also, one thing a lot of beginners don't understand is that shifting while underload is never going to work well, even with top of the line components.

Thanks, although I place myself into a "beginner" category....I do remember a few things. I never shift her under a load, couldn't dare do anything to hurt her....she is too beautiful for that...lol

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    Check your hanger for bend. This is pretty easy to see once you get used to it. But also check for twist, a little harder to see. You can adjust it with care and practice.
    Or take it to a lbs with the Park's gauge and stick around to watch the tech work on it.
    Next, for an upgrade better than new components in value do a lined housing and slick stainless cable full length run with Jagwire. REI has a Novara/Jagwire kit for $19.
    Novara Shift Cable Kit at REI.com
    Read the reviews and follow the recommendations. Including supergluing the cable end before running through the housing and making big loops.
    Do this and you will forget about upgrading.
    Thank you!! I sure appreciate the response and the link to this cable. I will absolutely get one of these, especially given it's so cheap. I will check the hanger, good call.