mtbr member
    Apr 2010

New XC Race Tires Suggestion ?!

Hello Guys,

I am using this setup in my Spark 900 RC race bike:
    - Front: Schwalbe Rocket Ron Snakeskin 29" Tire Black, 29 X 2.25, Folding
    - Rear: Schwalbe Racing Ralph 29" SnakeSkin Tire Black, 29" X 2.25" Tubless Ready Folding

This tires are really good in "zero punctures" i am riding it for 3 months and zero punctures ultil now.
    But this setup is a little heavy. I am looking for a new setup (tubeless ready) tires to save weight on the wheels.
    i am using a Mavic SLR wheelset with tubeless.
    my main use is races, xc.

please guys i need help to choose a new and lighter tires but with same resistence against punctures of this ones that i am already using.
    Thanks !

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by eimart View Post
    Hello Guys,

I am using this setup in my Spark 900 RC race bike:
    - Front: Schwalbe Rocket Ron Snakeskin 29" Tire Black, 29 X 2.25, Folding
    - Rear: Schwalbe Racing Ralph 29" SnakeSkin Tire Black, 29" X 2.25" Tubless Ready Folding

This tires are really good in "zero punctures" i am riding it for 3 months and zero punctures ultil now.
    But this setup is a little heavy. I am looking for a new setup (tubeless ready) tires to save weight on the wheels.
    i am using a Mavic SLR wheelset with tubeless.
    my main use is races, xc.

please guys i need help to choose a new and lighter tires but with same resistence against punctures of this ones that i am already using.
    Thanks !
    Ralph and Ron are heavy? What are you smoking...? There's not much lighter out there unless you go Furious Fred, Maxxlite, Raven, Renegade....

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown View Post
    Ralph and Ron are heavy? What are you smoking...? There's not much lighter out there unless you go Furious Fred, Maxxlite, Raven, Renegade....
    Bruce this version that i am using is heavy. The Schwalbe Rocket Ron Snakeskin 29"* 2.25 wight more than 610g

and the Schwalbe Racing Ralph 29" SS 2.25 more than 550g

Hi There!
    Bruce this version that i am using is heavy. The Schwalbe Rocket Ron Snakeskin 29"* 2.25 wight more than 610g

Bruce is right.
    NTFTC

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Thats still good weight for 29er tyres. Normal wisdom is get a SS tyre for the rear and EVO (non SS) for the front and run tubeless. I am pretty sure you can go tubeless with your current tires unless I have my versions wrong but anything that says "Snake Skin" is tubless ready.

If you go the other way and run RR performance version 2.25 you get a 505g tire however you need tubes so that of course make it around 650g compared to a tubless setup.

Always Learning

And that's heavy?

You'll have to dump the sidewall protection if you want to race lighter 29"er tires. In addition to the tires I already mentioned, the Maxxis Aspens are lighter than what you are running.

I think you'll find that anything with decent volume, XC race tread, and good performance that is considered light in 29"er land will be in the 490 - 600g range (give or take a bit). But you'll have to dump the sidewall protection for most. Not a problem here in the Midwest to run the thinner sidewalls, but your trails will dictate if you can get by without it.

jp4
    mtbr member

Re: New XC Race Tires Suggestion ?!

Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown View Post

You'll have to dump the sidewall protection if you want to race lighter 29"er tires.
    I concur. Just run the evo versions if you like the Schwalbe's. They're actually pretty durable in my experience. It's a risk vs reward thing. I'd rather flat out of a race on rare occasion than push heavier tires for hours. My 2 cts.