Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

New Wheelset???

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  bcwall 
#1 ·
Hi guys, I have a Cannondale SL trail 2 that is bone stock. I ride this bike at the most 10 times a year. Not many places to ride around here unless i want to drive a hour and a half.

Even thou I don't ride it that much i am thinking about upgrading the wheel set on it. I really like the Stans Arch EX wheels with some 2.2 X- kings.

My question is do you all think its worth the money to upgrade seeing that I dont ride the bike that much? And if I do upgrade will I see a big diffference from stock(Maddux DC 3.0 disk with Kenda small block 8's)? Also, is there any other wheelset I should be looking at?

Thanks for any opinions and info.

#3 ·
Well. Got my road bike like I want it. And got a chance to go camping this past weekend and rode. I really enjoy it more than the road bike. Also my wife said she would buy me a set for my birthday coming up. Plus everytime I get away and ride I come home with dreams of full suspension 29ers in my head. Really dont need to spend that much money on a bike that I dont ride that much so a wheelset seems like a good idea.

#4 ·
The only reason to change a part, at least for someone who isn't getting to ride very often, is if it's worn out or unsafe. No sense adding $400-$500 bucks to a bike that isn't seeing use. We don't know what your typical riding trial is, how much you weigh, what your price range might be, or what you want from your riding experience. If you are average wieght, and the wheels are staying true and not causing you any problems while riding, then just get out and ride more. Wear those suckers out, then think about new wheels. In the mean time, you could spend time in the wheels and tires section researching different wheels. There are a number of good alternatives to the Arch EX--though those are good rims--and there is a lot of discussion about options in the wheels forum. Long story short, don't upgrade just to upgrade.

#5 ·
I agree with the other posters. The only way it might make sense to buy the new wheelset is if it would eventually end up on the new FS 29er that you really want. But I think that would be doing it backwards - I'd hold off now and work on the FS 29er; it's what you really want anyway. And $400-$500 is a good start towards getting it!

#6 ·
Thanks for the advice guys. Think the best option is to just leave the bike be. Maybe a new set of tires when the small blocks wear out. I just get upgrade fever everytime I ride it. Doens't help that one of my road riding buddies also races mountain bikes. So he always has the sweet new gear!

Thanks again for the advice!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.