Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    I take 14,000 ft drops
    Jul 2008

New wheels for <800

'10 Epic 29er with the stock wheel set looking to upgrade mostly for weight. Ive been look at all types of wheels at various places online. Can't find anything decent used at the LBS' so I figure why not shop around and get something nice.

My riding style is mostly loopy singletrack but I'm venturing out more and I weigh 154lbs. Also while we are it....for weight should i switch to tubeless? I am currently running new stock specialized fast trak and captain.

What I have looked at:
    SLR's
    Cobalt3's
    Stan's
    XTR's
    Roval
    chinese carbons
    used EA XC90

29er
    Apr 2010
    Chris king + arch ex

One Gear
    I paid $800 for my Kings and wouldn't look back. Skip the cheap Chinese carbons.You can get a set of Hopes and get well under your budget.

Good luck

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Look at some custom built wheels from a good practitioner. The builder will go through the options with you and build you something that is right for your riding.....not just hitting a weight target.

Edit - you should be able to get a build with Stans Crest to be strong enough at your weight. Just make sure to go for 32 spoke 3-cross pattern - build with DT Swiss competition for more stiffness if you need it.
    Rimmer - "There's an old human saying - if you talk garbage, expect pain"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan GSR View Post
    Chris king + arch ex
    +1 or DTSwiss + Stans

mtbr member
    Have you considered Pacenti hoops? I'd second the Chris King hub set for anyone, but if weight is your main concern, then you're likely light enough to use some other brand of good hub that's lighter than a King.

mtbr member
    Chris king + arch ex

Exactly.

SPP
    Rigid.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Go to speed dream wheels and have a custom wheelset built. Trust me on this. Even with shipping, you'll be able to get in under your budget, but probably not with Kings.

29er
    Apr 2010
    you can get kings for under $800

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Chris king + arch ex
    This.

I just got a set of CK/Arch's a couple weeks ago. The difference is night and day compared to stock.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Best bang for the buck, IMHO, are the XTR's. Cheaper than Kings, lighter too. Cheaper than DT240's/190's. Almost as cheap as Hopes but much better, IMHO. New WTB rims would work...

The White Jeff W
    Sun Ringle Black Flag Pro.
    No moss...

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    you can get kings for under $800
    Not on a custom build from Speed Dream. My last set, Kings on Flows was a bit over $800, with no shipping as I'm local. That said, if the OP is going to spend that coin, he ought to buy custom. There's really no comparison.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Factory Stan's Crest with 3.30 hubs and buy a bunch of other upgrades or riding gear with the money you save.

29er
    Apr 2010
    ghisallo can build you kings and arch ex for $722

I take 14,000 ft drops
    Jul 2008
    Thanks for the suggestions guys. I am on the hunt. I love this forum

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    King hubs are great–I ride them–but they are some of the heavier hubs on the market. I'm using the Chinese carbon rims laced to King hubs, and I'm extremely happy with them. I just spent 6 days slamming the crap out of them in Sedona with no problems. Buddy of mine is riding the pre built Chinese carbon wheels and likes them as well. I'll definitely buy them again. King hubs laced to Stan's rims will be great wheels, but they aren't really super light wheels.

Rod
    Endorphin Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by azpoolguy View Post
    Factory Stan's Crest with 3.30 hubs and buy a bunch of other upgrades or riding gear with the money you save.
    I second this. Crests have a max weight limit of 194 so he easily comes in under the weight limit. I have used mine for a year without any problems at all. If you destroy a rim send it back to Stan's and they will rebuild it for you for around 100 bucks.

If you want to get closer to your 800 dollars Kings and a custom builder will do the trick, but that would be overkill, for me.

Edit: You can also find hopes laced to Crest wheels for way under 800 if you look around.
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

I take 14,000 ft drops
    Jul 2008
    Does anyone know the weight of the stock 450sl's with hi lo hubs?

mtbr member
    I've never had anything other than stock wheels on my first MTB a Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29. I don't know what they weigh but I'm sure it's a lot.

RIMS
    Alex RH Disc 29", alloy double-wall, 28mm, pin joint, 32h

FRONT
    Hub: Formula disc hub, high-low flange, double-sealed loose ball, machined disc mount, QR, 32h
    Tire: Captain Control 2.2 w/tubes

REAR
    Forged alloy, mid flange, double-sealed, ground race, machined disc mount and flanges, cassette, QR, 36h
    Tire: Captain Sport 2.0 w/tubes

My question to you guys:

I understand the benefit of going tubeless but won't go there until I have UST wheels.
    I understand the concept of rotational mass, but wonder if I'd notice a difference.
    I don't understand from a mechanical/functional standpoint is how much of a difference a quality hub like DT Swiss, Chris King or Hopes really makes.

Thanks for the feedback,

Hank

mtbr member
    Don't bother with the factory Stan's wheels - you'll blow out the 3.30 hub fairly early and you will wish you spent the extra on the Chris Kings. Been there done that. The Stan's rims are an excellent value though.

mtbr member
    Buy the King / Stans combo and you'll be riding them for a long time.
    If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains,
    you're lucky enough.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    +1 for king rear and light bicycles carbon. Im less concerned about the front hub

I did american classic 130 front (light) which was around $70
    Chris king rear will be 300-330 on sale
    64 spokes will be 32 from dans comp
    light bicycles heavy rims were 341

Total weight was around 1600g

773, not including custom wheel building. Typically 100 for a set.

If you DIY:
    Park truing stand $200, tm-1 tension meter $60, spoke wrench $12

I take 14,000 ft drops
    Jul 2008
    How would you guys feel about a combo of Crest's in the front and Arch's in the rear. Also, maybe mix and matching the hubs. I think Im well within the riding criteria with my weight for Crests' but im not sure about riding style. I do some drops but nothing over 3-5 ft and rare. I figured I could adjust some weight/cost issues by getting a different hub/wheel for front and rear. Stans seem like the way to go from what my research has pulled up. Surprise, the majority of you were right.

-Where did anyone find arches w anything better than 3.30's for under 800?
    -Also what is the weight of the dt240's vs kings vs 3.30's. Is it the cheaper the hub the lighter in this case? doesn't seem to follow mtb rubric
    - Im looking to buy these online as I do not have an ACE wheel builder near me.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    The above component recommendations are right on...I'd throw white industries hubs into the mix. They're reasonably light and priced right. Check out universalcycles custom wheelbuilder--they did a nice job for me.
    whatever...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast