mtbr member
    Jul 2012

new tires for my 29er. school me!

I'm in the market for some new tires for my 29er. I've been running small block 8s for the last year and love them. I've also been riding for only the last year. I was about to order another set when I got to thinking, "you don't know what you don't know!" How much better could it be with a different set?

I ride mostly on hard pack but there is also a lot of loose rocks and some sand. We get 11in (28cm) of rain a year so mud is never an issue. most of the trails are XC trails but there are some down hill routs a bit out of my skill level but I keep trying... I've got a full suspension GT.

Bicycle Addict
    MAXXIS Ikons are great on hard pack...then again, most tires are.
    The unexamined life is not worth living - Socrates
    Bearded Women Racing

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Have used Maxxis Ikons as well as Ignitors and Crossmarks. All are decent hardback tires IMO. Really have gotten good wear with an Ignitor up front and Crossmark in back.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    OP here:

this may be dumb, i don't know, i'm still noob when it come to this stuff but the weight of the small block 8s seems SOOO much lower than most. will i notice it?

:::EDIT:::
    if most are just fine for hard pack should I just stick with the small block 8s due to weight?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    If your tires are meeting the needs now why swap? I only dump a ton of money if my tires are not meeting my needs, Where I ride can be dry hard pack, wet roots and rocks, sand and pine tree needle beds all in one ride. I corner very fast, faster then most in my circle of friends, why I don't know just my style I guess, but I need tires that grip like glue. I have found that the specialized ground control works for me on the front and a maxxis cross mark on the back. I am not a believer that both tires should be the same since they are doing two very different jobs. But as every else goes to each their own.
    Giant XTC 2 29er
    KHS Flagstaff 29er FS
    Neon Bow Trials Bike
    Norco Fluid 9.2 29er FS
    Norco BIGFOOT FATTY

ready to ride
    Never ridden the small blocks. But another vote for the crossmark on the rear. Does great on hard pack and really is a pretty good all around tire.

I have an Ignitor I really like too. It has a little bit more of an aggressive tread which is why I got to run once the leaves fall in WNC. I have run it front and back and it performs well at both. Though I prefer something wider for the front. Unfortunately they dont make that perfect tire anymore. So I am still in the search. Probably going to try the ardent 2.4 upfront next.

Tires can make a huge amount of difference. So can playing around with their pressure. Weight is a consideration but I wouldn't over think it. For example I sometimes run by most accounts a heavy Panaracer Rampage in the front. It's a little heavier and has more rolling resistance but it allows me to tackle technical downhills faster and with more confidence. If you think a tire is slowing you down that much you probably need to work on the engine.

To answer your question something like the small block or crossmark would be good but personally I'd try something a bit wider up front.
    Sent via my heady vibes from the heart of Pisgahstan

mtbr member
    I have ridden the Small Block 8 and liked it (at the rear).
    Now I have the Geax AKA which is very simular, althoug a bit heavier.
    Belgian beer and Scotch whisky.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by sixteenornumber View Post
    I'm in the market for some new tires for my 29er. I've been running small block 8s for the last year and love them. I've also been riding for only the last year. I was about to order another set when I got to thinking, "you don't know what you don't know!" How much better could it be with a different set?

I ride mostly on hard pack but there is also a lot of loose rocks and some sand. We get 11in (28cm) of rain a year so mud is never an issue. most of the trails are XC trails but there are some down hill routs a bit out of my skill level but I keep trying... I've got a full suspension GT.
    Post 297 is a good read (there's a section on 29"er tires that were tested - including your Small Block 8's).

My suggestion: get a half dozen different tires and have at it! Change them up, try them out and see what's out there.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown View Post
    Post 297 is a good read (there's a section on 29"er tires that were tested - including your Small Block 8's).

My suggestion: get a half dozen different tires and have at it! Change them up, try them out and see what's out there.
    excellent! I was under the impression that small block 8s were lighter than most but a lot of them on that list are comparable or even lighter. thanks for the help, I'll post when I decide what to get.
    :::EDIT:::
    what is the deal with the wear rating? I don't understand it. is lower better or higher?
    Last edited by sixteenornumber; 12-17-2012 at 02:26 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by fahza29er View Post
    If your tires are meeting the needs now why swap?...
    like I said in the first post, I don't know what I don't know. I could be using tires from 1992 and I'm sure they would work fine too. I just think that there is a good chance there is something better out there. also my tires are warn so i need some new ones anyway.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Without spending a lot it sounds like Schwalbe Rocket Ron Performance 2.25 would be a good tire. Should be around 35 when it becomes available in the new version any day. Fast rolling, under 600g and a little more aggressive than Racing Ralphs. RaRas are available here-
    Schwalbe 29x2.25 Racing Ralph Perf Dual Compound Computer

1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
    Nov 2009
    if you hit deep sand or gravel a lot possibly try something similar but wider in the front. I like Ignitor front and crossmark back but part of that is accessability and price, after the fact they do the job.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    Without spending a lot it sounds like Schwalbe Rocket Ron Performance 2.25 would be a good tire. Should be around 35 when it becomes available in the new version any day. Fast rolling, under 600g and a little more aggressive than Racing Ralphs. RaRas are available here-
    Schwalbe 29x2.25 Racing Ralph Perf Dual Compound Computer
    Looks like a great tire but did you notice the wear test, 60 minutes vs 270 for a Seguaro.

I'm with stupid
    I was also of a fan of the ignitor front and crossmark rear for dry stuff when I ran it, Then I went to much bigger heavier tires ( 2.4 ardents, butchers, nevegals, big nobby nic). But for all around throw them on and forget it the ignitor/crossmark set up is a great set up that can seem to do alot.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I've been riding Conti Race King 2.2s on my Flash 29er on typical New England singletrack (rocky, rooty, pretty technical). They grip surprisingly well, but when the trails turned wet this winter I noticed my front tire was starting to slide (albeit predictably). I replaced with a Schwalbe Racing Ralph 2.4, and so far I'm pretty happy. Grip seems better, especially on wet off-camber stuff.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Puzman View Post
    I've been riding Conti Race King 2.2s on my Flash 29er on typical New England singletrack (rocky, rooty, pretty technical). They grip surprisingly well, but when the trails turned wet this winter I noticed my front tire was starting to slide (albeit predictably). I replaced with a Schwalbe Racing Ralph 2.4, and so far I'm pretty happy. Grip seems better, especially on wet off-camber stuff.
    don't the race kings wear out fast?

MTB B'dos
    Put me down as someone who loved his Crossmark R/Ignitor F combo, but like Redneck I too moved to wider and bigger tyres and my confidence in rougher terrain improved since I had more confidence in the tyres ability to grip and work, the sidewalls to not get torn and I started riding steeper and more aggressive trails and terrain.

I highly suggest that if there are some steep places that intimidate you that you consider putting something nice and big upfront like an Ardent 2.4", Rampage 2.35", the rear just stick to something along the lines of the Crossmark/Ikon or for a bit more aggressive Ignitor.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I'm not much of a tire nerd but I have WTB Bronsons front and rear and they seem to do the job well as an all around tire. Fairly low center profile so they roll fairly well and large nobs on the side to grip in corners and loose stuff. I had a very muddy race with them this past fall and they were able to hold their own. Granted I wasn't going very fast but I was still able to go through corners people were falling in and make it up hills people were having trouble spinning out on.

But like I said I don't know too much about tires.

ColoradoCoolBreeze
    Quote Originally Posted by sixteenornumber View Post

It's hard to beat the weight and rolling resistance of the SB8. I have it on the rear of both my XC bikes a 26 and 29 FS.
    I ride very similar trail conditions and really like the 2.25 Ardent for the front and 2.1 SB8 for the rear if I know the trail will be a bit loose.
    If I am doing a long trip like a rails to trails or dirt road I'll put a SB8 on the front as well.
    I can feel the weight when running the Ardent.

hth

04 Azonic Saber
    08 Yeti AS-x
    12 Rocky Mtn 29er Alt 970