mtbr member
    Apr 2006

New Mavic 2014 UST 29er rims anyone?

Mavic is now selling 2 new 29er UST rims, they are so new that even the Mavic site lacks details!

They look pretty solid, has anyone seen these in person or built up a set of wheels with these rims yet? They have the latest EN821 and XM819 for sale now. They look damn sweet and include the ISM drilling they use on the high-end pre-built wheels.

Mavic EN 821 UST Disc Rim 2014 - 29 Inch

Mavic XM 819 UST Disc Rim 2014 - 29 Inch

Since there is absolutely no info at all (thanks Mavic) I'm looking for any/all of it:

* ERD (compensated for their fore nipples)
    * Inner rim width
    * Outer rim width
    * Weight (with or without the fore nipples)

It *looks* like the XM819 has a 18mm inner rim width and the EN821 has a 21mm inner rim width.

Rim width will probably be the deciding factor for me personally, then weight. I currently have 21mm inner width rims with 2.25 tires and I must admit I REALLY like the tire profile with 21mm rims.

Full disclosure: yes, I've read at least 3,000 posts on the (Cheap) Chinese Carbon rim thread. Also not at all interested in any of Stan's or WTB rims, they are too "fragile" or "soft" for me (I'm sure I will get trolled for those comments!). I gave the WTB Trail 29er's a shot thinking they would be great but they are just an average rim that have turned out to be way below my expectations.

I'm pretty excited Mavic finally came out with these new UST rims for 29er's, it's just making the decision tough between them, the DT Swiss XR 400 29 and the e.thirteen TRS+ 29" Rim

Bikes!
    This is awesome news! The 819's were my favourite rims in 26" guise, they'd build up solid, reliable and very stiff wheels coupled with a proper tubeless rim. I went with crossmax ST's just for their rims alone, this now means that I can build up perfect custom wheels again

mtbr member
    These Look Sick I cant wait to blow money on them!

Are they better than the alternatives?
    Stans
    dtwswiss?
    Carbon rims of various sorts?

I was just shopping for a wheelset and I was baffled my Mavic's lack of 29er options.

Glad they woke up and did somthing about it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    21 is not wide enough for today or tomorrows builds.
    FlowEX built to 125kgf drive side is plenty stiff for a value wheel. This rim is not soft.
    The carbon Derby rim in this section is 29.5 inner width at 440g for a nice still value build in carbon.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    UPDATE: just got some more info on the 2014 Mavic UST rims (thanks Brad @U.C.)

Rim Model EN821 XM819
    ERD ??? 532
    Rim Width 21mm 18.55mm
    Rim Height 19mm 21mm

Weights included the manuals and fore nipples in the bag, they are 720g and 650g respectively...who knows what a manual weighs! lol 200g is that wishful thinking? Anyway it looks like the Enduro rim is a bit burlier as one would expect.

I really, really liked the old UST 819's I built years ago. Beat the piss out of them, they always held air, bent them back in shape after nasties on the rocks and tires always mounted perfectly.
    Last edited by Skratchy; 09-08-2013 at 03:21 PM. Reason: Fixed table

mtbr member
    With only 18 and 21 mm rim width, looks like Mavic hasn't been paying attention to what mountain bikers are currently riding / wanting.

Looks like same old Mavic.
    If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains,
    you're lucky enough.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013

This is my very first post!

Hi there, I just registered to reply to this post, also sorry for my english if it is not perfect, as I am a spanierd.
    It just happened to me to build a pair of the new mavics tn 819 ust rims yesterday, with sapim spokes.
    My first impression was that it was a product for weight watchers and the likes. But I must say that the threaded eyelets felt really strong, wich surprised me, as in the road model such as ksyrium are very fragile and soft alluminium, this is not the case, also the air retention and tire fit is perfect as usual in mavic ust.
    The finish on them are great stetically, but the weld joint is not what I would expect for such an expensive rim, it looks like they do not care as much as in rim brake ones.
    I think it is a good product, but mavic on the last years downgraded a bit on quality, as many others, probably the en821s are the buiseness.
    If this ones are not good the customer will be back in a few weeks, as he is a destroyer, so I'll let you know.
    Just to finish, Mavic is french, as to say that in Europe we ride different settings on our bikes than in U.S.A. or Canada, such as thinner rims, so don't be upset if it takes a few years to the rest of the world to accept what is already common sense for you, it is hard to get into european brains!
    Have a nice ride!

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Skratchy View Post
    UPDATE: just got some more info on the 2014 Mavic UST rims (thanks Brad @U.C.)

Rim Model EN821 XM819
    ERD ??? 532
    Rim Width 21mm 18.55mm
    Rim Height 19mm 21mm
    Looks like EN821 has the same ERD. Universal Cycles -- Mavic EN 821 UST Disc Rim 2014 - 26 Inch
    B....,

I just spoke to Mavic and the ERD is 532mm.

Have a good weekend,
    Schmitty, Universal Cycles
    sales@universalcycles.com
    (800) 936 5156

http://www.universalcycles.com/
    Weights included the manuals and fore nipples in the bag, they are 720g and 650g respectively...who knows what a manual weighs! lol 200g is that wishful thinking? Anyway it looks like the Enduro rim is a bit burlier as one would expect.
    32 FORE nipples weigh about 52-53 g. The actual weight of the rim coincides with the official information. EX823 '13 at least.

Schipperkes are cool.
    I have a pair of the 29" rims, slapped em on the DT ERD calc and measured 598mm. Seems about right with the Bontrager Dusters at 604mm

Mavic of US has not gotten me their ERD yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    21 is not wide enough for today or tomorrows builds.
    FlowEX built to 125kgf drive side is plenty stiff for a value wheel. This rim is not soft.
    The carbon Derby rim in this section is 29.5 inner width at 440g for a nice still value build in carbon.
    Well, the Mavic sponsored Enduro racers, Jerome Clementz and Fabien Barel, helped develop the new Crossmax Enduro wheels and asked for a 21mm front and 19mm rear rim, for use with 2.4 front and 2.2 rear tires. They feel that wider rims compromise the tire performance.
    I also find that too wide a rim reduces tire responsiveness and increases harshness. 21-23mm inside width seems to work well for most tires in the 2.1-2.4" range. 17-20mm for
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

transmitter~receiver
    **CAUTION**
    Quote Originally Posted by banks View Post
    I have a pair of the 29" rims, slapped em on the DT ERD calc and measured 598mm. Seems about right with the Bontrager Dusters at 604mm

Mavic of US has not gotten me their ERD yet.
    Mavic does not speak ERD.
    They use SSD (spoke support diameter), which is 4-5mm short of ERD.
    For example, the TN719 had a Mavic reported SSD of 598mm while the measured ERD was 603mm.
    The following quote is from the DT Swiss Calculator Help page:
    For example, Mavic’s values require approximately 4 – 5 mm be added when using the DT Swiss program.
    link
    Mavic's spoke calculator makes the correction behind the scenes without disclosing it.
    I would ignore any numbers you get from Mavic and measure yourself. If you measure and get the same number they report, that is a red flag and you need to double-check yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

Schipperkes are cool.
    I have been building on Mavic UST rims for 13+ years, lacing wheels since the late 1980s'.

I used the DT Spoke Chart, DT Swiss - Proline Tools and took their Spoke/nipple Rim tools apart, to use that long nipples. I inserted the DT long nipples into the rim with the UST inserts, tightened the inserts and recorded 3 times, averaging 598.

Used DT on line calc: DT 350 6bolt 135mm hub + 598 + 32* + 3x + 16mm nipples = 286mm spokes. Tensioned, trued, rounded like a Mavic.

Pulled one insert out to see how much spoke into nipple depth I had. Somewhere around 11-13mm total, leaving about 3mm from then end. Damn perfect; the 16mm nipple will not thread past the end of the spoke.

I weighed the EN821 rim with inserts @ 559g. Bontrager Dusters are 555g with TLR strip. Bony has 2 year warranty, 1.5mm wider & can be found with 28* called Rhythm.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.

transmitter~receiver

I have been building on Mavic UST rims for 13+ years, lacing wheels since the late 1980s'.

I used the DT Spoke Chart, DT Swiss - Proline Tools and took their Spoke/nipple Rim tools apart, to use that long nipples. I inserted the DT long nipples into the rim with the UST inserts, tightened the inserts and recorded 3 times, averaging 598.

Used DT on line calc: DT 350 6bolt 135mm hub + 598 + 32* + 3x + 16mm nipples = 286mm spokes. Tensioned, trued, rounded like a Mavic.

Pulled one insert out to see how much spoke into nipple depth I had. Somewhere around 11-13mm total, leaving about 3mm from then end. Damn perfect; the 16mm nipple will not thread past the end of the spoke.

I weighed the EN821 rim with inserts @ 559g. Bontrager Dusters are 555g with TLR strip. Bony has 2 year warranty, 1.5mm wider & can be found with 28* called Rhythm.
    Sounds like you've got it locked up... just a reminder to all that Mavic's numbers are not ERD and will result in spokes that are too short if that is not taken into account.
    Also factoring in in your case is the way DT threads their 16mm nipples; which effectively reduces the spoke length by ~2mm; the same effect as a 4mm reduction in ERD.

I'm sure you know that it is not physically possible to thread a spoke past the end of a DT Swiss 16mm nipple.
    If you were building with Sapim nipples that would not be the case.
    Last edited by meltingfeather; 11-05-2013 at 06:54 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Hi all! Can anyone measure weight 26'' XM819 Disc 2014 with screwing nipples? Claimed weight according to Mavic catalogue 405 gr. - is it a mistake or it is a weight without nipples? If no- seems like pretty light ust rim http://www.mavic.com/downloads/2014_...ic_catalog.pdf Page 13

Quote Originally Posted by juriss View Post
    Hi all! Can anyone measure weight 26'' XM819 Disc 2014 with screwing nipples? Claimed weight according to Mavic catalogue 405 gr. - is it a mistake or it is a weight without nipples? If no- seems like pretty light ust rim http://www.mavic.com/downloads/2014_...ic_catalog.pdf Page 13
    Mavic has always given the weight without the required nipple cups.
    mtbtires.com

transmitter~receiver
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    Mavic has always given the weight without the required nipple cups.
    ^^This.
    Add 50-55g for the Skrewed Eyelets.

Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    ^^This.
    Add 50-55g for the Skrewed Eyelets.
    IIRC 32 nipple cups for my original 819 rim weighed 40g. Rim weight alone was 465 for a total of 505g
    mtbtires.com

transmitter~receiver
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    IIRC 32 nipple cups for my original 819 rim weighed 40g. Rim weight alone was 465 for a total of 505g
    53.7g in this example:
    Rim with eyelets:

Rim alone (same rim):

Or maybe some other weight:

I was ballpark estimating.

mtbr member
    Sub!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Banks, I'm also using the en 821 29" rims for my current build. I'll be lacing them to chris king hubs (142x12m rear and 15mm large diameter front). Did you account for the spoke hole offset when you measured 598 for the erd? Also, if you did, what's the offset measurement? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by vman81 View Post
    Banks, I'm also using the en 821 29" rims for my current build. I'll be lacing them to chris king hubs (142x12m rear and 15mm large diameter front). Did you account for the spoke hole offset when you measured 598 for the erd? Also, if you did, what's the offset measurement? Thanks!
    Spoke hole offset does not affect ERD.

The only time I have made any adjustments for hole offset was with offset spoke bed rims, and fat bike rims. The 821 is neither.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Hey vman... Looks like we're after a matching pair of wheels!

I've just used tha information from Banks about the Rim Erd to have a go at working this out. Using the info provided on the Chris King website I think basically it works out to 289/290 front and 290/289 rear.

I selected DT competition spokes and left the nipple as 12mm as I think Banks had compensated for this. If you select 16mm then it comes out at 285/286 and 286/285.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    I like wider rims to avoid the dreaded clown nose where the tire swells out of the skinny rim. I had 819s year ago and they were bombproof but too darn skinny.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

So how have you guys found the new 2014 mavic xm 819 29er wheels. I am looking to get some made up. Had them in 26in version and loved them.