mtbr member
    Jul 2013

New front tire advice wanted

Hello, I am in need of a new Front tire & am looking for advice / insight from fellow MTBR’s.

I currently run & love the cornering grip of my maxxis ardent 2.25” front tire. I ride in san diego, so I encounter a lot of loose over hard conditions.

What tires offer a improved rolling resistance, comparable / better corning grip while possibly being lighter?

I am 5’9” @ 170 on a 29” specialized camber, running tubeless.

For reference, my bike came with a specialized Captain 2.2” & the moment you lean over a certain point, that tire would slide out very easily. One moment you had grip, then instantly a no-grip / oh $hit situation.

My 1st upgrade was going to the ardent & I haven’t changed it since.

Great cornering grip & felt faster than the captain.

Looking for something that rolls faster & lighter, with no loss in cornering performance when compared to the maxxis ardent 2.25”.

Thanks for your insight

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    debating between nobby nic or rocket ron in snakeskin, unless convinced otherwise.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Captains are not a great front tire where I live, and I think there are lots of better back tires. The best thing I can say about the Captain as a MTB tire is that they roll well. That is primarily due to the closely spaced center knobs. That is also one of the reasons I don't care much for the Captain. Those closely spaced center knobs also are not the greatest for braking.

On a Camber in SoCal, I would go with a 2.3" Purgatory up front and either a 2.1" or 2.3 Ground Control in the back. Great SoCal tire combo. If you want to try something other than a tire from Mother Specialized, I can also highly recommend the Bontrager XR-3 in front and rear. The Team version is rated for tubeless use, and are the only model of those I have used (3 sets), so I can't comment of the less expensive variants. The XR-3 Team tires are not cheap, but they are good. But, I don't think they would be any better than the Purgatory/Ground Control combo which costs less.

Unless you are riding in loose conditions like you would find in Big Bear, I would not recommend 29er tires with large side knobs, or even large knobs in general.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Also looking for a new front tire. I was looking into the new Magic Mary Addix soft, but can't find too much about them. Does anyone have experience with this tire and how it compares to the old Trailstar?

Maxxis does seem to have some problems with getting their tires to distributors in Europe and I've been looking for a DHF 29x2.5 3C for ages, sold out everywhere!
    Don't be mad, I'm totally n00b-ish.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    @jeffj, yeah-those captains are crap imo. The front tire was the 1st thing i swapped out on my bike after getting it. They have been up on the shelf since 2012.

The ardent has been great, but is loosing it's edge, as it has many miles on it.

I'm old & looking to save as much weight as possible without sacrificing grip.

I like the fact that both my maxxis ardent & spesh GC has been sidewall strong in north county SD.

after doing more reading = mind fq'n myself, i am now considering a nobby nic - 2.25" front / GC - 2.1" Rear.

Riding conditions vary for me while only being 15 miles apart between work & home. Loose over hard in Peñasquitos Canyon, but home La costa / san elijo has more clay - less loose to me..

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Ardents you have used to be a favorite but Bongrager SE3 (rear) or SE4 2.4 (front or rear) knocked them out of that spot.
    ƃuoɹʍ llɐ ʇno əɯɐɔ ʇɐɥʇ