Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: New forks?

  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    18

    New forks?

    Going to do my first upgrade (13' Fuji Nevada 1.9)and was hoping you guys can shoot me some advice. 90% of my riding is on the street and my current shocks (Suntour SF13-XCT w/ 100mm travel) leave me riding a pogo stick. The other 10% I am on just basic dirt trails no real jumps. I definitely want the option for lock-out. My questions to the community.

    1) Can someone confirm that I have a 15mm QR axle? (36H hubs w/ Vera Terra SPD22)

    2) What are your recommendations to look for and steer clear from?

    Me: 220lbs, 6'1". Budget $300 used/take-off.

    thanks for any input

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: joe_bloe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    627
    No, you don't have a QR15 front hub. You have 9mm QR. For $320, you can get the Manitou Tower Expert fork from Price Point. Just know that you're buying a fork that's basically worth as much as the rest of your bike combined. And then your bike will still be worth about $250.

    If you're unhappy with the way the bike rides on pavement, one solution would be to use that $300 to buy a used road bike for the road, and ride your moutain bike on the trails.
    Last edited by joe_bloe; 07-05-2013 at 04:46 PM. Reason: Updated information for 29er fork

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    18
    Its funny you said that, I went the opposite of that route. I have a nice road bike, my buddies gave me crap about not riding trail so I bought a low end mtb. I am finding that the mtb is great for my <10 mile rides during the week, so I'm riding it more. Still keeping my RB for my weekend long distance rides.

    thanks for the info bud, I tend to set my bikes up to me. Even if I bought it for cheap and there isn't much resale value. I end up keeping them till there thrashed or stolen (2). I may be completely wrong though (new to the springy bike scene).

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    3,696
    Nick at Suntour has setup an upgrade offer for riders with your fork.
    You can get a 5lb. Raidon air fork for 189+10 shipping.
    Or a lighter 3.8lb Epicon air fork with low speed compression adjust for 389+10shipping.
    You would need a 15mm hub front wheel for an Epicon.
    Both have adjustable rebound damping. They are 2014 models.
    If you want to upgrade your Suntour fork
    A Manitou Tower Pro or 2010-12 Rockshox Reba are good forks you can find on ebay.
    Once you set an air fork up for your weight you won't need a lockout.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    18
    Thank you, I will start my search.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    3,016
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    Nick at Suntour has setup an upgrade offer for riders with your fork.
    You can get a 5lb. Raidon air fork for 189+10 shipping.
    Or a lighter 3.8lb Epicon air fork with low speed compression adjust for 389+10shipping.
    You would need a 15mm hub front wheel for an Epicon.
    Both have adjustable rebound damping. They are 2014 models.
    If you want to upgrade your Suntour fork
    A Manitou Tower Pro or 2010-12 Rockshox Reba are good forks you can find on ebay.
    Once you set an air fork up for your weight you won't need a lockout.
    For what you're doing this is the way I'd go
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass
    12 TallboyC Frame for Sale-Large

Similar Threads

  1. What forks are these? PLEASE HELP lol
    By Adz in forum Beginner's Corner
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-15-2013, 08:16 AM
  2. DH Forks with QR
    By masterp2 in forum Shocks and Suspension
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 11-25-2012, 11:57 AM
  3. Upgrading 150mm forks to 160-180mm forks
    By timng85 in forum Shocks and Suspension
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-24-2012, 11:37 AM
  4. Need help with forks
    By polecats03 in forum Shocks and Suspension
    Replies: 59
    Last Post: 05-01-2012, 11:52 AM
  5. 29er forks more likely to snap than 26 inch forks?
    By Alastair78 in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 06-05-2011, 06:15 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •