Thread: New fork advice

mtbr member

New fork advice

I recently destroyed my fork after missing a landing on a trail with jumps, and nearly destroyed my teeth (I wasn't wearing a full face helm like I should've been.) But anyways, that means I'm in the market for a new fork as the damage is unrepairable. I'm looking for something in the sub-$400 range, and I need 100mm of travel and a QR axle. The bike's a 29er, obviously since I posted to this forum. The fork that broke was a RS XC32 (air, 2014 model), so I guess it was going to break at some point. I've looked at all sorts of forks that meet the specs I need, but I can't make up my mind. Does anybody have any advice on which fork I should buy?

> /dev/null 2&>1
    Personally I'd go with a used Fox Float on Ebay, you can get 2013 and 2014 models around that price. Avoid cheaper Evolution model. Ask when the last lowers service was, and if there are any scratches on the stanchions.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Procter View Post
    Personally I'd go with a used Fox Float on Ebay, you can get 2013 and 2014 models around that price. Avoid cheaper Evolution model. Ask when the last lowers service was, and if there are any scratches on the stanchions.
    I have considered that, but most come with 120mm+ of travel, and my frame is deigned for 100mm. I have read contradicting opinions on whether or not running a 120mm fork on a 100mm frame can cause damage to the frame, but I realize the difference in length is minimal. Would it cause damage?

Turns right to go left
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbmelville View Post
    I have considered that, but most come with 120mm+ of travel, and my frame is deigned for 100mm. I have read contradicting opinions on whether or not running a 120mm fork on a 100mm frame can cause damage to the frame, but I realize the difference in length is minimal. Would it cause damage?
    From a structural standpoint, it is not a issue to go with a 120 vs 100. The concern might be handling. What frame do you have?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Tapered, or straight? Either way, I'd go with this:
    https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...&category=5692

Sign up for their newsletter and you'll get a coupon code for 15% off, which will put you at ~$300

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 410sprint View Post
    From a structural standpoint, it is not a issue to go with a 120 vs 100. The concern might be handling. What frame do you have?
    It's a 2014 Kona Hei Hei

Quote Originally Posted by car_nut View Post
    Tapered, or straight? Either way, I'd go with this:
    https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...&category=5692

Sign up for their newsletter and you'll get a coupon code for 15% off, which will put you at ~$300
    It's tapered, and I've considered a Manitou fork but reviews are virtually nonexistent which makes me question if it's even worth the risk.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    It's a 2014 Kona Hei Hei

It's tapered, and I've considered a Manitou fork but reviews are virtually nonexistent which makes me question if it's even worth the risk.
    They've recently renamed a lot of their lineup, but the springs/dampers/chassis appear to be all the same legacy parts that have been getting great reviews over the past few years. Totally understand the apprehension when it comes to dropping coin as an early adopter though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by car_nut View Post
    They've recently renamed a lot of their lineup, but the springs/dampers/chassis appear to be all the same legacy parts that have been getting great reviews over the past few years. Totally understand the apprehension when it comes to dropping coin as an early adopter though.
    I'll defenitly check it out

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I'd avoid the Fox float designs of the CTD era. Simply terrible and would wallow and blow through travel. typically a 20mm increase in travel should be within the frame's capabilities but you may not like the resulting geo changes.

If you want a Fox fork get one with the FIT damper. I think you can just add spacers to reduce travel from 120 to 100 if need be.
    Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

Turns right to go left
    It's a 2014 Kona Hei Hei
    That has a 70deg head tube and a 120mm fork will not cause any structural issues. Handling might actually be better with the 120.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Since you say you can't find manitou reviews: I've been riding a Manitou Minute Pro 29er with 100mm of travel for ~4 years now. Love it.

Here's the only problem with manitou: no one knows how to work on them or where to get parts.

Solution: manitou takes all there old stock service parts (seals, springs, etc) for products more than 2 years old and sells them to vendors who will act as the service retailer. niagaracycle.com has any and all manitou parts you need. $45 totally rebuilt my fork.

Bottom line: you get quality on par with fox at 1/4 the cost. Check eBay for Brand new manitou forks for $200 or less

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk