Thread: New Fork?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013

New Fork?

I got a new 2012 Giant Talon 29er 1 last year. I love the bike. It can take just about anything the lovely flat state of Minnesota can throw at it. Comfortable geometry, decent shifting and brakes, and great trail handling.

My one complaint is the 100mm Suntour XCT S3 LTD 29 fork. To put it simply, it sucks. It seems to do just about nothing to smooth out my ride.

Is it a better idea to get a new bike, or a new fork? If a new fork is the way to go, which one? I definitely want an air shock, but I don't know which one.

Thanks for your help.

mtbr member
    I have replaced the stock fork on my 29er with the Manitou Tower Pro. Even without tuning, it made all the difference from my old fork and probably do the same for you. I don't know if it's still the best budget fork you can get, but it's a quality piece of equipment. It retails for about $450. Also take a look at the RockShox Reba, I've heard that's a decent fork as well.
    Will someday be living in Alaska with 2 pooches

Re: New Fork?

If you're on a budget or just want a good priced well review air fork, you aren't going to beat the price on 2012 X-Fusion Slide forks. There are a bunch on eBay and you may like one with a remote lockout too. There are a couple threads in this forum on the Slide. Videos all over YouTube as well. Also check out your local MORC classified section.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    $189+12ship gets you the 5lb Suntour Raidon air fork from Nick at Suntour.
    If you want to upgrade your Suntour fork

mtbr member
    I got a Manitou tower expert for 300

mtbr member
    May 2012

New Fork?

Probably a Reba. They're pretty cheap on eBay. Remember that you need a 1 1/8" steerer version.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by singletrack-sam View Post
    Probably a Reba. They're pretty cheap on eBay. Remember that you need a 1 1/8" steerer version.
    Yeah, I was wondering about that. So does a tapered steerer work? I really don't know anything about forks.

Also, what is rockshox's entry level air fork? I can't tell if the XC series is spring or air.

mtbr member
    No, a tapered steer tube will not work. You must get straight 1-1/8".

Rockshox' entry level fork series is the XC. The number after XC is the diameter of the stanchions, in millimeters (28, 30, 32). It is available in both coil and air spring.

I believe the XCT has 28mm diameter stanchions. I would look for a fork with 30mm stanchions, or even 32mm, depending on your weight and the type of riding you do.

I echo others' comments about the Manitou Tower Expert. It's pretty much the king of the hill from a "price-to-performance" standpoint.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    My local bike shop told me that the problem with manitou forks is that they don't make parts for old (last year's) models, which is a problem for such a tuneable fork.

Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    The Tower Pro can be a fantastic fork if you set it up. Get the right spring for your weight and start from there. I have one, and am going to start tuning it with the tuning kit to see how much better I can get it. There are many good forks out there, I just know mine, and like it!

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!

Re: New Fork?

Do you have a budget and are you also trying to shed weight off the bike.?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Yes and yes. I don't want to spend more than $500, which is why I was thinking about the tower pro or Reba. A lighter fork would be nice, but I really just want something that works well. I don't think I can afford a new hardtail anytime soon, so I'm trying to make this one last. My lbs told me that my suntour is "halfway broken" after about a year and a half of riding. I need something better than that!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Hi everyone i purchased a Giant 29er Revel 1 which has a Suntour XCT V4 29", 80mm Travel Fork, although the bike rides smooth and handles great I sense I'm missing out when I hit the trails in terms of the full effect of mountain riding.

My question is what would be a recommended affordable fork & is it worth the cost despite the bike being an entry level? Thanks for the help.