mtbr member
    Feb 2013

New fork for 2013 Specialized Carve SL SS

Ok so background. Recently bought 2013 Specialized Carve SL SS. It comes with a rigid carbon fiber fork. While purchasing the bike at my LBS one of the guys who works there asked me if i was going to change the fork to squish. He was asking because he ruined his on his bike and wanted to buy mine. I ride mostly XC with nothing more than 4' drops. Few questions:
    1.) What is the kind of price I could ask for the current, factory installed, mint condition fork
    2.) I wanted to get a good size traveling fork( ~135+)
    3.) I am not sure which kind of forks would actually fit the bike.
    Thanks in advance

J-Flo
    Apr 2012
    1) Specialized sells that rigid fork for $350 new.

2-3) If you want a suspension fork, see if he will trade you your current fork + some cash for a good one that he can get at employee discount. A long travel fork for this bike in the 135mm range would probably be a terrible mistake, as you would end up with a higher front end and more slack geometry, totally changing the feel of your XC-oriented bike, and the huge difference between front travel and rigid rear might even make the bike unstable on drops. Your bike frame geometry is not designed for this! Specialized sells several versions of this bike with 100mm forks, and anything more would be a bad idea IMO.

If you want a suspension fork it would be hard to go wrong with a Reba or SID for this bike. Most of them are internally adjustable from 80-120mm so you could try out the longer travel and see for yourself why it is a bad idea. Any modern fork with a tapered steer tube will fit the bike. If you buy a used one, just make sure the steer tube is long enough.

Personally, I ran a SID and a Reba and didn't like them. I just went to a White Brothers Loop 120 and friggin love the thing. It has a magnetic threshold "lockout valve" that when in the full lockout position, creates a platform that will still give way when hitting a ledge or big rock on a climb. Also the small bump compliance on the thing is buttery smooth compared to the SID that I ditched. If you go to Universal Cycles and sign up for their newsletter you get 15% off as well... so $607.

Review: White Brothers Loop TCR 29er Suspension Fork

Internals are all made in the USA as well

Edit: I just noticed the carve front hub comes with the 9mm QR... The Loop only comes in 15mm... so ignore my post or you would need a new front wheel or front hub to run the Loop.

mtbr member
    100mm fork, anything more may void the warranty.

You need a taper steerer tube fork...or run a reducer for a straight 1 1/8 fork. I vote for getting a taper fork.

9mm drop out fork.

IMO a white fork would look sweet on an all black bike.