mtbr member
    Jun 2006

New Dt Swiss XR 1501 Spline wheels 29er

Hi everyone,

I've been looking at buying a new 29inch bike and was planning to switch out the stock wheelset (Easton EA70 XC) for something a little little and perhaps a bit more xc/marathon oriented.

Dt Swiss have been showing their new 29inch XR 1501 Spline wheelset this spring and I,d like to know if anyone has had a chance to ride them. I'm not sure when they'l be available so maybe they won't be available until latter this year. Here's the link for the specs:

DT Swiss - XR 1501 Spline® 29

They are listed at 1520g for the pair, which is pretty light for allow wheels. Any suggestion for similar wheelset or custom wheels that would weight about the same as these and and fairly durable ?

Thanks all for your comments !

Cheers !

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    These wheels are looking like they will list at about 1100.
    More info-
    Out of the Box: DT Swiss Spline 1 Wheels
    For that money the Roval Control Carbon 29 come with Dt Swiss 350 star ratchet hubs and carbon rims at 1200 list.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Well although the specialized wheels look pretty good too, it's a bit more complicated to get them here in Canada since you cannot just buy them off their website like in the US and usually when you get them through a bike shop that sales Specialized they'll coast you even more.

I also have no clue on how you get the control carbon for only 1200$ because they seem to be listed at 1700$ on the website ? For 1200$ I would definitely add them to my shortlist, do you have a link to where they cost only 1200$ ?

Thanks !

mtbr member
    I just built up a 29er with XR1450 Spline wheels, I assume the 1501's are just the latest version of the wheel set. I've not ridden them yet but they seem very well made, the hubs on the XR1450 are DT Swiss 240, higher quality than the DT Swiss 350's on the Roval wheels. I really like the no tool free hub, I removed the standard free hub installed an XX1 free hub in just a few seconds.

Similar wheels I looked at where some of the Stan's Wheelsets (Arch, Crest) they are said to be very sturdy wheels but a bit heavier. Mavic CrossMax are were also on my list.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by NRS_Comp1 View Post
    Well although the specialized wheels look pretty good too, it's a bit more complicated to get them here in Canada since you cannot just buy them off their website like in the US and usually when you get them through a bike shop that sales Specialized they'll coast you even more.

I also have no clue on how you get the control carbon for only 1200$ because they seem to be listed at 1700$ on the website ? For 1200$ I would definitely add them to my shortlist, do you have a link to where they cost only 1200$ ?

Thanks !
    Specialized Bicycle Components
    That is a US price, but your lbs should be able to work with you or shop around if possible.
    I would be looking for a discount off the 1200.