Thread: New crankset...

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

New crankset...

Changing my crankset and stuck between SRAM XO or Race Face SIXC. What do you guys think?

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009

New crankset...

Don't have experience with SixC but I'm happy with my X0 crankset. I run a spider less bling ring 1x10 and love it! The Race Face crank arm boots fit them like a glove

I may be wrong, but SixC is lighter but more expensive?

You might also consider the XX1 crankset if you plan to go 1xXX. I would have gone that route if it was available when I bought my X0...

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Get whichever one is 104bcd and fits your frame.

AOK
    mtbr member

New crankset...

SRAM XO has a removable spider which opens up a lot of options should you decide to try something other than 2x10.

You can run direct mount chainrings from MRP, Wolftooth, and North Shore Billet.
    You can swap the standard spider for a XX1 spider from North Shore Billet to run a XX1 chain ring.
    I believe that NSB also makes a spider that will allow you to run 104 BCD rings on you XO crank.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by AOK View Post
    SRAM XO has a removable spider which opens up a lot of options should you decide to try something other than 2x10.

You can run direct mount chainrings from MRP, Wolftooth, and North Shore Billet.
    You can swap the standard spider for a XX1 spider from North Shore Billet to run a XX1 chain ring.
    I believe that NSB also makes a spider that will allow you to run 104 BCD rings on you XO crank.
    All those options cost more $$ and are basically work arounds to get the Sram crank to a 104bcd. Why not just cut to the chase and get a crankset that you don't need to modify. I have an X9 crankset, it's fantastic but a bit hard to find upgrades for without having to spend more money than what I would have to on a standard 104bcd crankset. For the cost of some of those modifications you mentioned you could alsmo afford to buy another crankset.

AOK
    mtbr member

New crankset...

Quote Originally Posted by Lemonaid View Post
    All those options cost more $$ and are basically work arounds to get the Sram crank to a 104bcd.
    This is incorrect. The goal is not to get to 104BCD.

And I am not saying that the OP *needs* any of these mods, just that the removable spider on the XO allows versatility if he wants to try other things in the future. If you buy a non-removable spider 104 BCD crank, you can only run 104BCD rings. If you buy a XO (or any other SRAM with removable spider), you have options.

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonaid View Post
    All those options cost more $$ and are basically work arounds to get the Sram crank to a 104bcd. Why not just cut to the chase and get a crankset that you don't need to modify. I have an X9 crankset, it's fantastic but a bit hard to find upgrades for without having to spend more money than what I would have to on a standard 104bcd crankset. For the cost of some of those modifications you mentioned you could alsmo afford to buy another crankset.
    104BCD is somewhat of a dying standard. 2x10 and 1x11 are the latest and greatest and neither use 104BCD. Shimano/SRAM still offer 3 gear cranksets for those with narrow minds that are resistant to change. Look at ANY pro rider's bike and they'll be on 2x10 or 1x11. Same with most serious MTBers. Within the next few years, 3x cranksets will be obsolete just like 8 speed rear ends.

My love for the X0 and XX1 cranksets stems from my love for 1x10/1x11 drivetrains. Try setting up a 1x10 drivetrain with a 104BCD crankset where your smallest front chainring option is a 32t, or a compromised chainline with a 30t. The spiderless GXP standard allows all the way down to a 24t sprocket for those rides with lots of steep climbing.

To each his own, but the current 2x10/1x11 SRAM/Shimano setups are most definitely NOT work arounds for 104BCD! They work fantastically and have enough gear spread to make anyone happy

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Thanks for the input. leaning the way of the XO. I'm in Florida and NEVER use the granny ring on my current 2X10.
    Thinking of just the single ring...XX then DFYFZX?

AZ
    banned
    With 22/30/40 coming soon I would bet that 104 bcd is deader than the Dodo. The removable spider makes sense just for the options imo.