mtbr member

New bike components swap out, What and Why

Just wondering, how many people swap out components of new complete bike, besides the normal saddle an grips? If you so what did you change and why?

try anything on a bike
    Sep 2008

I wait til it breaks. Should always buy best you can afford or build from scratch

2012 Anthem X29 4 - mine
    2013 Talon 0 29er womens - wife's.

mtbr member
    Yes I agree with that, but don't you some times want to change SOMETHING to make it different form the crowd?
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_biker View Post
    I wait til it breaks. Should always buy best you can afford or build from scratch

2012 Anthem X29 4 - mine

try anything on a bike
    Sep 2008

Quote Originally Posted by sparkplug View Post
    Yes I agree with that, but don't you some times want to change SOMETHING to make it different form the crowd?
    Of course. Making it your own is always fun. I was assuming you meant changing out main components (drivetrain brakes fork etc).

Grips, saddle, pedals, are all good and not too pricey. Otherwise just ride it like you stole it. Then you can upgrade sooner haha.

2012 Anthem X29 4 - mine

mtbr member
    No the only big ticket item I would ever see changing right off the bat is wheels and fork. For some reason I have a hard time dealing with all the Fox and RockShox forks that come on the bikes. I am sure they are fine but... I guess I like to be a little different.

mtbr member

Re: New bike components swap out, What and Why

Stem as most stockers are too long for my liking and sometimes tires if they suck. All others when they break.
    Here is the thing about equality, everyone's equal when they're dead. - Gavroche, Les Misérables

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    After buying a new bike ($3 K) last December I started having flats on the rear tire. The first thing the bike store owner told me was that I needed to spend another $500 and upgrade my wheels. I've posted this story on the forums under "Stan's rims vs DT, Alex, Sycnhros" and I've been amazed at the number of responders who have said that 's the first thing they change when buying a new bike. Personally, I don't get it. New seat, grips, pedals, maybe even a new carbon bar, but not an expensive items like wheels and wheel sets.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkplug View Post
    not me..

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I dont switch out parts because I want to make something different from the crowd.. I change out parts because they either break... or more often than not.. after riding for so many years, I have certain preferences on how I want the bike to ride and feel.

I prefer the feel of certain grips and saddle.

I change out the stem or handlebar for proper fit.. but I also might like the feel of a handlebar that has more give than a stock bar.

The tires have to work for the trail conditions in my area.

Sometimes you also get spoiled with certain high quality parts. Personally, I prefer a high engagement hub, so all my bikes get a Chris King rear hub.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by goodmojo View Post
    not me..
    me neither. Maybe I'm just cheap, but after spending more money than my truck is worth on a mountain bike I sure don't want to have to turn around and upgrade wheels and wheel sets. And unfortunately this idea seems to be the norm with purchasing a "high end" bike. I can't imagine buying a new motorcycle or car and immediately having to buy new rims, tires, etc. to make it road worthy. Just my opinion. I could be wrong.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by rmoore View Post
    me neither. Maybe I'm just cheap, but after spending more money than my truck is worth on a mountain bike I sure don't want to have to turn around and upgrade wheels and wheel sets. And unfortunately this idea seems to be the norm with purchasing a "high end" bike. I can't imagine buying a new motorcycle or car and immediately having to buy new rims, tires, etc. to make it road worthy. Just my opinion. I could be wrong.
    High end is a relative term. High end for people not in the sport (or beginning) is usually sub-$1000 USD.

For some of us.. we have such a strong preference for certain levels of components that it often becomes cheaper for us to buy a frame and transfer our parts over to the new frame, than buying a brand new complete bike and stripping it down anyway.

Wheels are one of the best high end parts to purchase, especially with convertible hubs, because when you sell your bike you put the old wheels on and put the new high end wheels on the new bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rmoore View Post
    You bought a 3k bike in a hobby where high end is 10k+, where top of the line wheelsets cost $2500.
    You keep harping on this wheelset thing. Your bike was trail worthy with wheels it came on. Every 'I was on a easy casual ride and bent my wheel' always turns into more when you dig into it. My $750 wheelset will bend if I make a mistake.

I weigh 210lbs, I knew off the bat the light XC wheels that came on my bike wouldn't hold up to the riding I do, so I sold them and used that money toward a better wheelset. You need to get over your bent wheel already.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    You bought a 3k bike in a hobby where high end is 10k+, where top of the line wheelsets cost $2500.
    You keep harping on this wheelset thing. Your bike was trail worthy with wheels it came on. Every 'I was on a easy casual ride and bent my wheel' always turns into more when you dig into it. My $750 wheelset will bend if I make a mistake.

I weigh 210lbs, I knew off the bat the light XC wheels that came on my bike wouldn't hold up to the riding I do, so I sold them and used that money toward a better wheelset. You need to get over your bent wheel already.
    haha, I read that thread and didnt realize it was the same guy until you brought it up.

I dont think we will hear the end of his wheelset "dilemma" for a while..

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I have to get a frame-- all the other parts are waiting.