Thread: New 34 140 CTD

mtbr member

New 34 140 CTD

So I've been riding my 34 Float 140 CTD with Trail Adjust for a couple of weeks and I thought I would give a quick review.

My basic over view is that it is OK but not great. I apologize ahead to those who only like positive reviews.

It is really light for what it does which is nice, but I think I would take the little extra weight for the added stiffness of a 36mm stanchion with a little more overlap too. You can apply the front brake and rock the fork back and forth and feel something moving like a loose headset, but the headset is tight as far as I can tell. It does seem to track well enough however so it's not a deal breaker.

You can still adjust rebound on the bottom of the right leg. It did seem like I had to add a lot more of that than usual to get control but I didn't have to go to the max.

The CTD is probably the most disappointing aspect. Mainly because they have done away with compression dampening adjustment on all settings except in Trail. You can't change compression on Descend or Climb externally. Plus in Trail there are only 3 settings making fine tuning impossible. I know, according to some press release, they were trying to dumb it down for the dumb, but maybe they went too far.

This wouldn't be as big of a deal if it came set better from the factory but I have had to add 15 psi to the fork over what I run in all other Fox forks to keep it from bottoming out in Descend. And at 15 over normal it was too stiff to track bumps well. So Descend mode is pretty much out as an option for the moment. I'll test some more but it's not looking good.

Perhaps for some the Climb mode would be good for them because they like a really stiff fork, but for me it's too much lockout unless I'm on really smooth trail or on pavement. Neither happen often enough to worry about. So that's not too useful to me either.

The compromise I have arrived at is to leave it in Trail mode all the time, in the middle compression setting, with only 10 extra psi and that seems to work pretty well. The high compression dampening mode for Trail that it came set to was too stiff for me and since the middle setting works I didn't try the light setting yet.

While still new to the fork, and since it was available, I ordered an $80 remote kit so I could take advantage of the CTD easier than reaching down to the fork every time I want to change, but with more evaluation I'm afraid I'm going to be leaving it in the Trail setting almost all the time and for the few times I want to change it I could have just reached down. But it's on the way and I'll go ahead and install it anyhow since I have yet to have remote control on a bike.

Another thing, and I'm not sure how it happens, but when I was still switching between all three settings, before I lowered the compression dampening for the Trail mode, when I was trying to ride in Descend mode and hitting hard edge rocks while climbing the selector ended up in the Trail setting 3 times on it's own in one ride. The detentes aren't very strong I guess. It did stay in Trail mode all day today without moving.

So I guess all in all it might as well not even have the CTD. For me at least.

Or maybe having 2 settings would be better. Full open Descend mode with compression and rebound adjustments #1, and full Terralogic in #2 for climbing. I've found Terralogic works pretty well when you want it stiff but still want blowoff for bumps.

And while they are at it take the plunge and make it 36mm with 160mm travel. Do all that stuff and Fox would have the top of the heap covered for big hit 29ers.

If we're dreaming how about low AND high speed adjustment for compression AND rebound?

Yeah, dream on... right?
    No it never stops hurting, but if you keep at it you can go faster.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Thanks for the review, You have found the fork to work the way I thought it might & hoped it wouldn't

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I hear ya. I tested one before buying recently, and decided to seek out a 2012 model 34 RLC instead (I'm not sorry I did). To me it seemed like they rushed the design to meet a release date/delivery commitment?

MTB B'dos
    Hey, what are you moaning about, you're getting full travel from a Fox Seriously, I figured trying to make things to simple would end up in Fox fvcking things up AGAIN and I guess I was right. Thanks for the review, don't forget to add it to the site product reviews.

On the fork and flex...it's definitely the stiffest fork I've own (have the old Float version), but I'm not sure if that due to the tapered steerer or the claimed increase to 34mm stanchions. That being said, yup I can easily visually see the fork rock for/aft if I lock the front brake and rock the bike, but no where near like my previous Reba and Minute. Have to agree though, it tracks solid like a rock to me, I'm descending stuff with so much confidence, knowing that the bike will hold a line. Vid below is of a super steep, super rocky, mossy trail I love, 1st time I cleared that section not feeling like I might die
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My MTB vids

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I was not prepared to like the CTD on the 34, but to me it works pretty well. Made it very easy to ultimately dial in the fork. My main issue, which seems to be the opposite of a lot of people, is the end of the stroke is a bit too linear. It would be nice to have a bit of ramp up at the end, I find I can blow through the travel too quickly on bigger hits.
    Its initial and mid travel feels buttery smooth and controlled. I ride it mostly in trail mode, with the compression setting in the middle position. The descend mode is too whallowy for me.
    Coming off a Revelation 140, notice a slight increase in stiffness, mainly on harder landings, a marginal performance increase, better tracking, but mainly I noticed the higher axle to crown height of the fork.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    The lo-speed compression adjustments on the RLC series foxes is the best thing about them. Bummer you can only adjust compression in the trail mode. Maybe this is the kind of fork that someone should just set up for their preferences in the trail mode and ignore the descent mode. Just like the previous poster does. But it kind of makes the descent mode a "useless" option.
    I hate 650b because it's not as fun as 26 inch wheels and because it doesn't have the rollover ability of 29 inch wheels.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Hey, what are you moaning about, you're getting full travel from a Fox Seriously, I figured trying to make things to simple would end up in Fox fvcking things up AGAIN and I guess I was right. Thanks for the review, don't forget to add it to the site product reviews.

On the fork and flex...it's definitely the stiffest fork I've own (have the old Float version), but I'm not sure if that due to the tapered steerer or the claimed increase to 34mm stanchions. That being said, yup I can easily visually see the fork rock for/aft if I lock the front brake and rock the bike, but no where near like my previous Reba and Minute. Have to agree though, it tracks solid like a rock to me, I'm descending stuff with so much confidence, knowing that the bike will hold a line. Vid below is of a super steep, super rocky, mossy trail I love, 1st time I cleared that section not feeling like I might die
    You're almost as slow as I am.
    I hate 650b because it's not as fun as 26 inch wheels and because it doesn't have the rollover ability of 29 inch wheels.

T , V , & K Rider
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by eastie View Post
    I hear ya. I tested one before buying recently, and decided to seek out a 2012 model 34 RLC instead (I'm not sorry I did). To me it seemed like they rushed the design to meet a release date/delivery commitment?

I got the 2012 Fox 34 Float RLC as well but have not used it yet.......hope the best to those getting the new version though ! TIG.
    " A way to a deep freedom " - Tarja

MTBR Member
    I'm diggin' my Float 150 FIT CTD...also have a '10 F29 FIT RLC(and have previously owner others) so I know what to expect there.

OP...what you're feeling is bushing slop. Grab your front brake with one hand, place your fingers around the stanchions where they enter the wiper seal, and rock back-forth. If it gets worse, you may want to send it in for warranty.

mtbr member
    Thanks for this honest and somewhat in-depth review. I wasn't really sold on the CTD from the beginning and got lucky finding the 2012 Float 34 FIT RLC in OE black after some time on a 2012 Talas 34 that I've never used the travel-adjust feature.

And if we're dreaming of ultimate spec forks, I would love a Fox 36 Float 140mm 29er in black, with the QR20 axle, and RC2 damper.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I love the CTD feature. Three settings instead of two. Yay! I treat the D setting not as descend, but more as the "really hideous rock garden" setting. For most descending "T" keeps the fork higher in the stroke, which I prefer. My only gripe was the C setting was not very firm at all, so the spring that triggers that setting was replaced with a firmer version.

It is so funny after all these years of people complaining about not getting full travel, now we don't want full travel?

I'll offer two very simple tuning tips that you can do at home (or have your LBS perform very cheaply):

1. Bottoming too easily? Add a little oil to the left leg after removing the air cap (depressurize fork first!). Not getting full travel? Remove a little oil. In both cases, a little goes a long ways. Start with 5 to 7 ccs.

2. Too plush for you in the D mode? Replace the stock 5 wt oil in the FIT cartridge with 7.5 wt oil. As a bonus, this will allow you to run the rebound setting closer to the middle of the range, rather than nearly closed, which at least in my experience, always ends up being the case with Fox suspension products.

Ride fast! Take (small) chances!
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

mtbr member
    Kosmo,

That is a good idea to use the D mode in slow rough rather than fast dh cause that was when it was bottoming out when I hit a hard edge at speed.

I've been getting full travel out of my Fox forks for a long time. But I run lower than normal pressure and use the dampening to control things.

I'm surprised that you felt the C setting was not stiff enough. It acts almost like a rigid fork for me in C. Maybe they started adding that mod you mentioned to the shipped forks.

Thanks for the tuning tips. If I feel like I can't live with it I'll try them.

I'm not saying it's a bad fork. Just that it could be better pretty easily.
    No it never stops hurting, but if you keep at it you can go faster.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by modifier View Post
    I'm not saying it's a bad fork. Just that it could be better pretty easily.
    Agreed. For instance, why can't we just have a compression clicker with 5 crisp, firm detents, running from full open to darn near full lockout?

Seems simple enough, and others have done it, I believe.
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

mtbr member
    The moment I hear, "made the compression easier..." I knew they've fvcked it up...pretty much "Apple'd" the damn thing, yeah? That's why when I looked for a 34 Float 29er, I purposely looked for the RLC, and not the CTD...the devil you know...
    Actually, as soon as/if I can determine the Marz 44 Micro Ti 29er is at least as stiff as the 34, the Fox is getting the BOOT! Kashima whatev...the nickel coat is sooo much smoother!
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

MTB B'dos
    Well I just tested out the lock-out blow off today on my Float, just finished climbing an asphalt hill and saw some steps and had a go at them, but forgot to unlock the fork, heard a nice "tingy" sound thought it was the rim hitting. Everything seems OK, had it adjusted 3 or 4 clicks out form full hard, so maybe that helped.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My MTB vids