mtbr member
    Nov 2012

new 29'r tires on specialized epic

I need some advice on tires, i'm pretty clueless about this subject other then that I don't like my current tires. I have the stock specialized tires but they don't grip for **** and make me ride like a scardy cat in corners and had a couple of falls due to it

Current Setup (all stock)
    Rims: Roval 29, alloy disc, 26mm wide, 32h
    Front tire: S-Works Fast Trak, 2Bliss Ready, 120 TPI, aramid bead, 29x2.0"
    Rear tire: Specialized Fast Trak Control, 2Bliss Ready, 60 TPI, aramid bead, 29x2.0"

I'm currently running on a tubeless setup beceause the whole shazam is "Tubeless Ready" I would like to keep it tubeless.

I'm looking at something like the Continental MountainKing II
    26x2.2 and 28x2.4
    Is the 26 and 28 the wheel size? But where is 29? :P
    And I guess 2.2 and 2.4 is the tyre width at the botom?

Can I just put any tubeless tire on my rims or do I really need Tubeless Ready tires?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    where and what type of terrain are your riding? sounds like the xc nature of your current tires don't match your trails?

the Spec ground control is a great tire - Im running it rear right now and it replaces Maxxis Ikon and Ardent - that both suffered their demise in rock gardens - it hooks up and not DH heavy - right btw the ikon/ardent weight.

I have always run burlier fronts - but I do ride the colorado frt range trails weekly and not racing - on front - i currently have the ardent 2.4 - not a complaint as a front for 2 yrs now - have also run the Panarace Rampage - and a good front - albeit a bit heavier

my next front I plan to try either a ground control or purg - purg is burlier. Really like what Spec is doing with their latest tire iterations.

hearing great things about the new ikon 2.35 for the front if you are looking to keep things a bit lighter and more XC oriented - but good grip due to the larger outer knobs

there are some good posts on the forum - guys that know the tire and test or try em all - and have some great input -

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I'm not riding super heavy terrain but I really feel that my current tires just arn't cutting it in terms of grip and i'm not confident riding them, I also experience a lot of BURPS and my rear tire is sweating out product over time and it sometimes feels like the tire rolls off the rim. I feel like they are to light and racy.
    I would most def like some more profile, appart from tire choice i'm just not sure about the measurements that i need, is it 29x2.4 that i need to look for?

turtles make me hot
    I'm currently running a Ground Control S Works up front on my Stumpjumper, tubeless on a 30mm wide rim. Tire's a 2.3... VERY happy with it.
    On the back, I'm running a Geax Saguaro 2.2. Also tubeless on a 30mm rim.
    I've also run Ardents, Psycho Genius and Slant Six. Liked em all but the current combo is working well for me. I ride trails with about every combo imaginable.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I'd suggest a Schwalbe Nobby Nic 29x2.25 mounted backwards on the front at 20psi unless you are a heavyweight. The cheaper Performance version will work fine. Same for the rear or a Racing Ralph for a bit more speed at 23-25psi.
    Bike24 or bikecomponents.de list them.
    Last edited by eb1888; 06-21-2013 at 04:32 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Also, ask some fellow riders in the area what they recommend you riding. I would not like going from a 2.0 all the way to a 2.4 on my local trails, it would feel like a tank if I did that. I have some Nobby Nics and loved them, but went with some Rocket Rons since I'm participating in a race series this year. Good luck with your tire selection.

Happy Trails

new 29'r tires on specialized epic

You're on pretty good tires, but might prefer 2.2" over 2". What pressure are you running though? Lower, with tubeless, might help.

There's always next year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim2103 View Post
    Also, ask some fellow riders in the area what they recommend you riding. I would not like going from a 2.0 all the way to a 2.4 on my local trails, it would feel like a tank if I did that. I have some Nobby Nics and loved them, but went with some Rocket Rons since I'm participating in a race series this year. Good luck with your tire selection.
    +1 to this. It can be very hard to give riders advice on tires without good info on local conditions. Tires that would slay the trails in San Diego could kill me when ridden in the Seattle area. I've got a similar bike (Epic Carbon Comp) set up as you, and when I wear out the Fast Traks, I'll most likely replace them with the 2.2 inch wide version, or depending on conditions, a 2.3 Ground Control front / 2.2 The Captain rear combo.

It's interesting to me that you're having issues getting the rear tire to play nice tubeless, as converting my set was the easiest ever for me. With what you're describing, I'd attempt to reset/redo and look at adding more pressure as well.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Lower pressure will cause my tires to roll of the rim beceause of the weak tire walls and causes burps i'm sitting at 1.8-1.9 front and 2.1 rear

The kind of terrain I ride is loose dirt ground, since it rains 50% of the time in Belgium it's kind of soggy and moiste all the time hence the need for a bit more grip. I might end up just replacing my front to a heavy profile 2.2 and leave my rear..
    Last edited by Restyle; 06-21-2013 at 01:46 AM.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by Restyle View Post
    Lower pressure will cause my tires to roll of the rim beceause of the weak tire walls and causes burps i'm sitting at 1.8-1.9 front and 2.1 rear

The kind of terrain I ride is loose dirt ground, since it rains 50% of the time in Belgium it's kind of soggy and moiste all the time hence the need for a bit more grip. I might end up just replacing my front to a heavy profile 2.2 and leave my rear..
    get a set of either Kenda Nevagals or Conti Mt Kings... Get which ever one you see on sale for the best price. These are not the "best" tire for any particular terrain or conditions, but the 2 of them are the best "do it all" tires out there. they are a great place to start and will perform decently in pretty much all types of riding. Think of these two tires as the training wheels for tire tread Once you get into it more and you'll be able to decide what type of tire you need and then spend a bit more for a set that are more specific tread height and pattern.

I'd go 2.0-2.2 wide in the back, and 2.2 -2.4 in the front... and yes you need "29" tires .. no 26" You will most likely want a wider tire in front as it does more work with less weight on it for traction. The rear tire support more of your body weight so you can run a mildly smaller tire width and (which clears the frame without rubbing) without issues.

I know everyone likes the Schwable tires, but I found them rather WAY over priced and not that much of an improvement and wore out WAY to fast for the $$$. If I were racing.. ya.. but it sounds like you are more a weekend warrior and the teeny tiny bit improvement they will give you isn't worth the cash out of your pocket. Again, just starting out you're better off getting a do it all type of tire instead of a high end, pricy specific tire type
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I had the same problem when I first picked up my Epic. I ended up with a Specialized Captain 2.2 up front and a Specialized Ground Control 2.1. I found that to be the optimal combination for the bike. I will also say that I now have Mountain Kings with the Protection sidewalks on my current bike I am extremely happy. They do not roll as fast but they have great traction and are less prone to sidewall cuts

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

I have trails that have certain spots that are almost never dry with a few creek crossing.

I love a Specialized Purgatory 2.3 front with a Ground Control 2.1 in the rear. I have plenty of confidence in them on the muddy sections of trail, but still roll well on dry hardpack.

Specialized Bicycle Components

Specialized Bicycle Components
    Last edited by TwoTone; 06-25-2013 at 04:56 AM.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    ^^^ +1

I have GC's on front and rear, tubeless. 2.1 and 2.1. I love them and they handle great with out any burps or sweating. My Son's RH has a Fast track on the rear and Capt on the front. GC's are much better.

Mark
    2012 XXL Carve Expert

Rub it............
    Conti X-King Protection or the Ground Control on the rear, Captain up front.

mtbr member
    Specialized makes GREAT tires.........you just need to determine the combo that works for your trails. I have Specialized tires on all three of my bikes

SC Highball F= S-Works Ground Control 1.95 R= Renegade 1.95

SC Tallboy F =S-Works Ground Control 2.1 R = S-Works Fast trak 2.0

On-One Lurcher (SS rigid) F- S-Works Ground Control 2.3 R = S-Works Fast trak 2.2

185lbs running 20-22 psi.......tubeless

mtbr member
    Depending on when and where you bought your bike you might be able to get the tires replaced with a different Specialized tire. Specialized has a great warranty and if you don't have too many miles on those tires they should be able to do something for you. Worth a shot.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by DECIM8 View Post
    Depending on when and where you bought your bike you might be able to get the tires replaced with a different Specialized tire. Specialized has a great warranty and if you don't have too many miles on those tires they should be able to do something for you. Worth a shot.
    Already got my rear replaced under warranty, still same problem, the tire is to weak and light to keep my stans in, still sweating..

I'm going to go with the Xking 2.4 tubeless up front I really love loads of grip up front and I don't care that much about some extra weight when it comes to tires, sticking to my standard fast track on the rear for now untill it's worn out.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Already got my rear replaced under warranty, still same problem, the tire is to weak and light to keep my stans in, still sweating..

I'm going to go with the Xking 2.4 tubeless up front I really love loads of grip up front and I don't care that much about some extra weight when it comes to tires, sticking to my standard fast track on the rear for now untill it's worn out.
    get Caffe latex or the new Orange stuff... don't use Stan's with Conti tires if you can avoid it. not really sure what chemical or what ever is in the Stans but every Conti I've seen fail with sealant in it has been Stan's .. all mine (had/have many) are great with Caffe Latex... my front tire is a 5 yr old Mtn King... never an issue.. (gunna replace this summer, but having a hard time as it's still pretty good.. and I like the older tread better )
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Looks like you need more volume. Fast Trak is an excellent tire....but not in 29x2.0. A 29er rides best with tires wider than 2.10. Hard to believe even a fraction of an inch makes such a significant difference - but it does. A 2.0 tire is intended for smooth, groomed XC race courses, with an occasional rock or two and for Fire Roads. Anything else, and they are downright scary.
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    I was thinking along the lines of their 90 day "unconditional tire guaranty". If you bought the bike or tires less than 90 days ago they should replace them with any tire in their lineup of "equivalent value". I know this used to be their policy but I can't find it on their website any longer. Might have changed.

It sounds like you have come up with a solution that works for you though. I went from the Fast Tracks that came on my Rockhopper to Nobby Nics and haven't looked back.