mtbr member
    Nov 2011

29er Build Thread (Pictures soon)

Well figure I can change this to an actual build thread now.

Kona Kahuna Frame (headset came with it)
    Fox Fit 32 CTD 100 Fork
    Stan's Arch EX Wheelset
    Ardent 2.4 / Mountain King II
    SRAM X0 triggers, rear derailleur
    SRAM X9 front derailleur
    Truative Stylo 175 crank (want to change over to SRAM X0 but these will do for now)
    Sram 990 12-34 Cassette
    Avid Elixir CR brakes
    Easton Monkeylite Bars / Raceface Stem
    Kona Seatpost
    WTB Race V Comp Saddle
    (Contemplating buying a new integrated headset)

I think that's everything! Let me know what you guys think. Improvement suggestions welcome!

Picture Time
    New 29er build advice-9964744444_bfa72353c2_c.jpg
    Last edited by lcampbell89; 09-27-2013 at 05:05 AM.

mtbr member
    “People fear death even more than pain. It's strange that they fear death. Life hurts a lot more than death." JM

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I would try and jump that to 500 and get a real nice set, just saynig. Build it once build it right. X9 all the way, all mine is X9 and I love it, well shifting anyways I went Hope for brakes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Are you doing 3x10? Also thinking of Arch Ex for the wheelset but are the Stans hub that come with them any good?

EDIT: Are the Azonic Outlaws any good? And I would imagine the ZTR Race are probably overkill if I am not racing.
    Last edited by lcampbell89; 09-22-2013 at 09:50 AM.

mtbr member
    Stans hub are excellent; never had a problem with them and have 2 sets. Archs are great rims, light, durable, and not too pricey.
    “People fear death even more than pain. It's strange that they fear death. Life hurts a lot more than death." JM

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Ended up getting those Arch EXs with the 3.30.

Updated this to a build thread as I have everything bought now. I hope.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Sweet, I love building a bike from scratch, I take mine all apart in the winter and rebuild them all. It's very relaxing to tweak and clean, inspect for damage and reassemble. The hard part is waiting for the F'n snow to melt then for the trails to dry up, uggg depressed already LOL. Think I will go buy a new bike and sooth my soul.
    NORCO Bigfoot here I come, ohhhhh fat tires!!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Ya I am really excited myself! Although do feel like I have forgotten to order at least one vital part haha.

Now I do have the bug though and want to upgrade the frame on my Nashbar SS 29er as well as the fork.

Then finish up a Bianchi road bike build I started earlier with Campy Record 10 parts.

Unfortunately my budget was pretty much blown all on this bike haha.

As promised though a picture of the frame is now in the main post. It's the only part I have right now. Fork is supposed to get here today though!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    So funny story.

Got my fork in yesterday. Nice fork, steering tube is a little shorter than I would like though.

Bad news is it doesn't fit the frame. My mistake. When I bought this frame I googled kona kahuna frame forks and came up with the answer that it was tapered. So I bought a tapered fork. I had never seen a tapered headtube before so I believed it. Turns out I have a straight head tube! 2010 model not the newer tapered versions. Lesson learned. Was pretty angry yesterday but at this point it is just funny lol.

So now I am looking to buy a frame that is tapered! Seems to be the easier solution. I will just use this frame on my Nashbar SS!

The Giant XTC 1 29er might be where I land. Doubt I will do this but anyone had any interactions with those Chinese carbon frames?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Well ended up getting a Yeti Big Top frame just need a headset now. Thinking Cane Creek 40. Assembled my handlebars today, still got to tweak the position of shifters and brake levers. Feel a little small width wise for my liking but we will see. I will try and get some pictures posted. Hoping the wheelset gets here within the next few days, as I have never done a tubless setup before and I am interested how that will go.