Thread: New 140mm fork

mtbr member
    Jul 2017

New 140mm fork

Hello 2 wheels friends

Im building an santa cruzz tallboy lt alloy

I'm lost on purchasing the fork... limited budget and thinking on the new reba ou last year revelation... love the ideia of a pike but off budget...

But on this demand for a good deal found an manitou minute pro 29 140mm for a good amount.

Having trouble getting some feedback on this fork

Really like to ear your opinions

I ride a more aggressive xc style... no enduro
    Rider Weight 200 pounds 😁😁

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Welcome.

I don't know about that Manitou but have associates who've been very pleased with Sun Tour forks that generally help you meet a low budget and get good performance.

Good luck.
    ƃuoɹʍ llɐ ʇno əɯɐɔ ʇɐɥʇ

damned rocks...
    I don't think that a 140mm fork with 32mm stanchions and your weight are going to play well.

You can find Pike RCT3 on sales between 500€ and 600€.
    Currently I'm ogling the Manitou Mattoc 27.5+/29er, 140mm travel, 34mm stanchions.

Short-Change-Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by Aglo View Post
    I don't think that a 140mm fork with 32mm stanchions and your weight are going to play well.
    For standard xc riding (more flowy trail with little rock or technical) the 140mm 32mm stanchioned fork would be OK at your riding weight. But start throwing in some tech and you will see it hit its limit and become somewhat flexy and noodly.

Quote Originally Posted by Aglo View Post
    You can find Pike RCT3 on sales between 500€ and 600€.
    Currently I'm ogling the Manitou Mattoc 27.5+/29er, 140mm travel, 34mm stanchions.
    This fork does not exist as a MATTOC, what you are thinking of is the MAGNUM in the 27.5+ fashion which will fit a standard 29er tire.. There is no such thing as a 29er Mattoc....

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    If you look around online you can find a Yari for 500.00 USD. I bought this to get it custom tuned, and like it stock better than a Pike.

Short-Change-Hero
    Meant to add that I have been running a 34mm SRSuntour Auron 29er for about a year now and have been impressed with it. Has good small bump compliance but also can take the big hits as well. Was able to pick it up for a little more then $450 shipped to my door brand new. I know that there are much better products out there but at this price it does very well so if you are on a budget this could be something for you (or its little brother the Aion or the bigger brother the Durolux).
    https://www.srsuntour.com/

Also, with the Demo To Your Door program that they just instated you can try before you buy. Not a rep or anything for them, just know what its like to want/need something on a tight budget and not necessarily want to go used. If that is the case, this is a great option.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    hey!

thanks for all the replies.

The manitou have ok reviews but not so good out of the box and even with is so much talked tune ability as its problems... its difficult to find the proper parts and honestly i don't to spend my time taking apart the fork on a tune demand

The other question is in fact the stanchions size... normal xc i agree that it would be ok a 32mm fork but for the tech stuff a 34mm fork is better

The yari is a more 160 mm travel orientated fork... and because of that the weight increase.

I like the ideia of a pike or even a x-fusion and i think that i will save a few more bucks.... and wait an additional agonizing time without riding my new baby!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    The Yari is only a little over 100g more than the pike, but is so stiff it's worth it. At 210lbs, it doesn't flex in rock gardens. Or pack up like my pike did.

mtbr member
    The Yari is also available in travel from 120mm to 160mm. The 140mm is on Amazon for around $540.

Short-Change-Hero
    Not sure on release date and/or price but Mantiou just released that they have expanded the Mattoc family to include 29 and 29+!!! Been asking for that for years so looks like I will have a new upgrade next year to save up for!!

mtbr member
    Fox is blowing out the 2017 stock as well. You can find good deals if you hunt around a bit. I just got the Fox 34 27.5+ 140mm fork for $650.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    used pike for like 400-500 is perfect
    Santa Cruz TallBoy LT

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus75 View Post
    The Yari is only a little over 100g more than the pike, but is so stiff it's worth it. At 210lbs, it doesn't flex in rock gardens. Or pack up like my pike did.
    +1
    Yari is probably best bang for your buck. Super stiff. I'm 235 geared no flex at all. Stiffer then the Diamond I have on my other bike. Yari works well right out of box, only recommendation would be to do a basic fluid service when you get it they come somewhat dry as far as lubrication, at least mine did. Other plus is if you wanted to upgrade down the road you could get an Avy cartridge and have a better fork then a Pike for under $1000.