mtbr member

Need Wheelset for PBJ

I weigh 250 lbs and want to have someone build me a less expensive wheelset for my PBJ.

I'm considering:

36 H Zee Hubs - I'm hoping these are compatible with the 6 bolt centerlock adapters

MTX-33 rims

What spokes and nipples will I need?

In terms of tubes, I was thinking about using Continental Tubes filled with Stan's (hope they have removable cores).

I have a new pair of WTB Kodiak 2.5's.
    Last edited by jbsocal; 02-17-2013 at 02:38 PM.

mtbr member
    Hi There, I'm 240 and I went with Salsa Gordo Rims, I think the MTX rims are pretty much the same except cheaper and heavier, I also used 36 spoke hubs but went with dt440. For the spokes I went with dt alpine triple butted with alloy nipples. For tires I got some dissent 2.5s, but I'm really excited for the minion dhr 29x2.5s.

They came out really burly! I had mine built up my mike c at lacemine29.

Quote Originally Posted by jbsocal View Post
    I weigh 250 lbs and want to have someone build me a less expensive wheelset for my PBJ.

I'm considering:

36 H Zee Hubs - I'm hoping these are compatible with the 6 bolt centerlock adapters

MTX-33 rims

What spokes and nipples will I need?

In terms of tubes, I was thinking about using Continental Tubes filled with Stan's (hope they have removable cores).

I have a new pair of WTB Kodiak 2.5's.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rodgerdodger View Post
    Hi There, I'm 240 and I went with Salsa Gordo Rims, I think the MTX rims are pretty much the same except cheaper and heavier, I also used 36 spoke hubs but went with dt440. For the spokes I went with dt alpine triple butted with alloy nipples. For tires I got some dissent 2.5s, but I'm really excited for the minion dhr 29x2.5s.

They came out really burly! I had mine built up my mike c at lacemine29.
    A guy told me he takes 10 foot drops and jumps on his 26er tubeless. He thinks I will be OK tubeless, even though I am 70 lbs heavier.

Are you running tubeless?

If not, what brand of tubes are you using? Any Stan's or Slime?

I can't find any Zee hub reviews and the Saint hubs have mixed reviews, the 440's are too expensive new.

I was only considering the Zee's because I can buy a pair for about $180 which I think would significantly reduce the build cost...I still would have to buy either centerlock rotors or centerlock 6-bolt adapters.

I read somewhere that the Gordos were discontinued.

I think Mike is in Alaska fat biking on the Itarod Trail until sometime in March, he said he would lace something for me then if I wanted to wait.

I'm getting a used set of 240's/Flows...but I'm still short one set of wheels because I bought two frames (locally no one seems to want to buy my small RIP).

Thanks.
    Last edited by jbsocal; 02-20-2013 at 12:11 AM.

mtbr member
    I don't run them tubeless, but I'll probably switch to tubes with stans at some point. Colorado cyclist runs that in all their demo bikes. It seemed fine to me when I demo'd there.

I'm not sure those 240's/Flows will work unless it has a 150mm rear hub. I think most hubs have a totally different hub for 150 (no conversion kits).

Quote Originally Posted by jbsocal View Post
    A guy told me he takes 10 foot drops and jumps on his 26er tubeless. He thinks I will be OK tubeless, even though I am 70 lbs heavier.

Are you running tubeless?

If not, what brand of tubes are you using? Any Stan's or Slime?

I can't find any Zee hub reviews and the Saint hubs have mixed reviews, the 440's are too expensive new.

I was only considering the Zee's because I can buy a pair for about $180 which I think would significantly reduce the build cost...I still would have to buy either centerlock rotors or centerlock 6-bolt adapters.

I read somewhere that the Gordos were discontinued.

I think Mike is in Alaska fat biking on the Itarod Trail until sometime in March, he said he would lace something for me then if I wanted to wait.

I'm getting a used set of 240's/Flows...but I'm still short one set of wheels because I bought two frames (locally no one seems to want to buy my small RIP).

Thanks.