Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2014

Need a STRONG hub

I am in need of some help. I have a Fuel 9 with a rhythm elite hub. I have broke 2 free hubs, one last year and one just yesterday my first day out for the year. I am known from breaking drive train parts. Back in the day I had (and still have) a stumpjumper pro hardtail. I broke over 10 free hubs, phil woods, ringle, many XTR / XT... only one that did not break and is still working is my chris king. Broke many chains and gear sets. also broke a crank arm. Yes I am a big guy 255ish 5'9.

So rather than getting my free hub replaced with another stock replacement, I am looking into get a better hub. Of course I dont want to spend a lot, but I know that is not an option. Some people have suggested a DT Swiss 240. It is showing $475 on jensen. I could swing that, but what else is there in that price range? Also what would be a good rim to pair that with? Might as well put a better rim on if I have to relace the rim? Mavic ?

Thanks for any and all help
    2015 Framed Minnesota 3.0 with Bluto
    2014 Trek Fuel EX 9
    2013 Trek Domane 2.3
    1995 Specialized M2 Stumpjumper Pro

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    DT 350. Same internal mechanism as 240, much much cheaper!

-from the guy who saw you break your freehub yesterday

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    At your weight, on a 29er, WTB KOM i25 rims, with DT comp spokes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Javorsky View Post
    I am in need of some help. I have a Fuel 9 with a rhythm elite hub. I have broke 2 free hubs, one last year and one just yesterday my first day out for the year. I am known from breaking drive train parts. Back in the day I had (and still have) a stumpjumper pro hardtail. I broke over 10 free hubs, phil woods, ringle, many XTR / XT... only one that did not break and is still working is my chris king. Broke many chains and gear sets. also broke a crank arm. Yes I am a big guy 255ish 5'9.

So rather than getting my free hub replaced with another stock replacement, I am looking into get a better hub. Of course I dont want to spend a lot, but I know that is not an option. Some people have suggested a DT Swiss 240. It is showing $475 on jensen. I could swing that, but what else is there in that price range? Also what would be a good rim to pair that with? Might as well put a better rim on if I have to relace the rim? Mavic ?

Thanks for any and all help
    Not sure why you're even asking, you answered you're own question.
    14 Ibis Ripley
    ?? Carver 420 TI
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

Formerly of Kent
    You can get 240s for half of Jensen's price on eBay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

change is good
    Sep 2004
    I'm a big guy and a DT Swiss fanboy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by rfxc View Post
    DT 350. Same internal mechanism as 240, much much cheaper!

-from the guy who saw you break your freehub yesterday
    This. 240's save some weight but at a cost$$. Hadley hubs are very solid. I have a friend who can break just about any bike part. His Hadley's are still going strong years later.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I have Hadleys that have been super awesome for me for 5 years and still going. I have recently gotten a set of Hope Pro s2 and they are feeling solid. I am on a Fuel Ex 7 and I am a Clyde at 285.

mtbr member
    The DT Swiss 240 at Universal Cycles is going for $332, then use the VIP15 discount code for an additional 15% off.

But if you can swing $475, this will get you any of the high end hubs. DT Swiss, Chris King, Hadley or Industry Nine.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan View Post
    The DT Swiss 240 at Universal Cycles is going for $332, then use the VIP15 discount code for an additional 15% off.

But if you can swing $475, this will get you any of the high end hubs. DT Swiss, Chris King, Hadley or Industry Nine.
    Chris King's are needlessly complicated, and IMHO too easily contaminated. Their own service documents suggest cleaning and re-lubing the ring drive every 3-6mos, and it seems that if they get dirty, they will slip. My friend had his 2yr old CK hub rebuilt (by CK) 6 months ago, in the fall. The wheel sat for most of the winter. It's got maybe 10 rides on it in 2015, one of which was a very muddy messy race in early March (see my FB photos)... and sure enough, one week later at swope, his ck hub is slipping. And he's only 155lbs. I'm in the middle of tearing it down now, and the CK process is making me love my dt swiss 350 and 240 hubs even more!

I've IGNORED dt swiss 350 hubs for as long as my buddy has owned his CK hub, and my dt swiss have been flawless.

I've got 2 dt 240 and 2 dt 350 rear hubs in my house, 2 with upgraded 36t ratchets, and I've never had a problem with ANY of them. And I can clean and lube the drive mechanism, swap freehub bodies between wheels, etc, in under 5mins without tools.

Simplicity is beautiful.

The DT 350 is the best deal on the market. Only my wallet can tell the difference between 350 and 240-- and the weight diff is around 60g.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Chris King's are needlessly complicated, and IMHO too easily contaminated. Their own service documents suggest cleaning and re-lubing the ring drive every 3-6mos, and it seems that if they get dirty, they will slip. My friend had his 2yr old CK hub rebuilt (by CK) 6 months ago, in the fall. The wheel sat for most of the winter. It's got maybe 10 rides on it in 2015, one of which was a very muddy messy race in early March (see my FB photos)... and sure enough, one week later at swope, his ck hub is slipping. And he's only 155lbs. I'm in the middle of tearing it down now, and the CK process is making me love my dt swiss 350 and 240 hubs even more!

I've IGNORED dt swiss 350 hubs for as long as my buddy has owned his CK hub, and my dt swiss have been flawless.

I've got 2 dt 240 and 2 dt 350 rear hubs in my house, 2 with upgraded 36t ratchets, and I've never had a problem with ANY of them. And I can clean and lube the drive mechanism, swap freehub bodies between wheels, etc, in under 5mins without tools.

Simplicity is beautiful.

The DT 350 is the best deal on the market. Only my wallet can tell the difference between 350 and 240-- and the weight diff is around 60g.
    You obviously don't have any experience at all with Kings.
    14 Ibis Ripley
    ?? Carver 420 TI
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I don't have any need to.

Magically Delicious
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Javorsky View Post
    I have broke 2 free hubs, one last year and one just yesterday my first day out for the year. I am known from breaking drive train parts. Back in the day I had (and still have) a stumpjumper pro hardtail. I broke over 10 free hubs, phil woods, ringle, many XTR / XT... only one that did not break and is still working is my chris king. Broke many chains and gear sets. also broke a crank arm. Yes I am a big guy 255ish 5'9.
    A personal observation of riding with some big guys.

I have several guys that I ride with that are your size and larger. The smallest guy is 260 (known weight) and the other two are definitely bigger, so I'm guessing 270 and maybe 275. All of them fast with an abundance of available power. The two biggest guys are also the most seasoned and experienced riders. So here's the interesting part. The two big guys almost never break parts. The lightest (260 lbs.) is always breaking everything and he's on higher quality, high end components.

The apparent answer appears when riding behind these guys. The two heaviest guys ride like their flowing and floating through the trails. No hard drives out of the corners, no obvious aggressive power application and you rarely hear them even shifting. It's as if they are one, fluid unit curving through and down the trail. They are graceful and smooth with every turn of the cranks. They understand power management, when to apply it, and to what level is necessary in maintaining maximum momentum and speed. They make it look so easy and effortless. And these are the big guys that never seem break anything.

Ron, the lightest guy at 260 is a different story. He seems to buy the most expensive stuff and maintains it well, but manages to trash drive train components like they were made of plastic. The difference is evident when riding behind him. He drives hard and rides hard. He stands up and powers up hills and brawns his way through the turns. The power level is impressive, but he displays excessive use of his strengths with no regard for the force he commands of his components. His shifts are not well planned or executed. His shifts are a synonymous to driving a manual transmission without the use of the clutch. Hard and loud. He muscles his ride equally as fast as the others, but he does it through brute strength and power.

What the apparent difference is how the big guys finesse their bikes through the trails with the grace and elegance of a butterfly and Ron stays with them through his authority of power and rule.

While this might not be a text book case, it leaves the observer with a clear and concise answer to where the root problem appears to lie. So perhaps treating the problem and not the symptom could yield a different and more desirable result. Perhaps some coaching might be in order.
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I don't have any need to.
    Then don't spout off crap that is totally incorrect about them.
    14 Ibis Ripley
    ?? Carver 420 TI
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I have personally observed that A DT swiss hub is less complicated, requires fewer tools to service. Great it you love CK; I'm not trying to bash.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I have personally observed that A DT swiss hub is less complicated, requires fewer tools to service. Great it you love CK; I'm not trying to bash.
    This has been beaten to death on another thread, no special tools are needed to service a CK hubs, outside of a total rebuild. I have 10 year CK hubs that haven't been touched.
    The seals are some of the best, it's why some complain about the slight drag, so easily contaminated line was utter BS.

I have/had 240, 350 and CK, they all serve their purposes. The only issue I have is people posting shit about a product they have no experience with.
    14 Ibis Ripley
    ?? Carver 420 TI
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

transmitter~receiver
    I'm not trying to bash.
    For not trying you did a great job of it.
    FTR the drive mechanism between the new is very similar. The only difference being that drive torque is used to further force the splines together on the King rather than relying on a spring.
    You might want to learn about the Chris King disassembly process before you take on your buddy's hub. If it is driving you nuts you are doing it wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    For not trying you did a great job of it.
    FTR the drive mechanism between the new is very similar. The only difference being that drive torque is used to further force the splines together on the King rather than relying on a spring.
    You might want to learn about the Chris King disassembly process before you take on your buddy's hub. If it is driving you nuts you are doing it wrong.
    To celebrate the simplicity of my dt hubs: To service my dt 350 and 240 ratchet rings, I don't have to take the brake rotor off. Hell, I don't even need to take the cassette off the freehub body.

I'm sure CK's are great for those that like to spend the $$$. But for that money, I was shocked when my 155# friend had to send his back (via the LBS), and was also shocked when it slipped on him twice this last weekend.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I have had great luck with my Hadleys.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fracaxis View Post
    This. 240's save some weight but at a cost$$. Hadley hubs are very solid. I have a friend who can break just about any bike part. His Hadley's are still going strong years later.
    ^^^^^
    I have both and if I was going to do it again it would be Hadley all the way....

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I also have both and have just bought a second set of Hadleys for my next build. Very happy with both but I love the 72 POE of the Hadleys.

~ B A D A S S ~
    3 challengers appears:

true precision
    white industries
    kappius
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

aka "Seņor Taco"
    Jan 2015
    I vote for DT 350. With your savings you can buy after ride Taco's & Coronas for some time. That's what I did. But I like Tacos.
    I'm so far behind, I think I'm 1st

aka "Seņor Taco"
    Jan 2015
    Need a STRONG hub-image.jpg

aka "Seņor Taco"
    Jan 2015
    Need a STRONG hub-image.jpgRockin the DT 350's in this shot. And more than a few Tacos.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast