Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Need some input on rim choice and tires

5K views 49 replies 15 participants last post by  keen 
#1 ·
Bit of a newb still but just got a new fork (manitou tower pro w/15mm axle) and forced myself to buy a new wheelset with the larger front axle :cool: so after much searching and debate decided on stans but trying to decide on either arch or flows, found that flows are stronger and wider? So is wider better?
Tried calling some local shops on this tires but got no where go figure :confused: figured the local mtb riders would know a good tire for the trails here....Going to go tubeless, im not a hardcore rider, the trails here have river type rocks sticking out of the dirt and kinda hard dirt with little bit of loose dirt on top, now I only get to the trails maybe on weekends and during the week I ride by my house on pavement to get ride time and exercise.

The wheels are gonna break me so dont have alot left to buy different tires and seems they are not all that cheap either so hope for some good suggestions.
Just to clarify, do I need the flows or will arches do fine? Good tires for me?

Right now I am around 212lbs and dropping slowly:mad:, bike is a 2013 trek wahoo, not sure what else you need to know just let me know.
Thanks!!

#4 ·
I would go with the Flows. I just purchased a pair and am getting them built up now. I like wide rims, I have Salsa Gordos on my SS. I also went with Maxxis Ardent 2.4s. I don't have the Gordos set up tubless but I don't think I need to. With a wide rim I don't get many flats or pinch flats, thorns are another story that's where the tubeless helps.

#5 ·
Thanks for the replies.

I have been talking to Ghisallo Wheels and this what we came up with, wanted hope evo 2 hubs but price jumps a bit so suggested the white hubs.

arch or flow wheels
White Industries M16 hubs with rear 36 and front 32
black double butted spokes
red alloy nipples
taped for tubeless

$650 shipped

Just need tires and sealant...

Those continental tires look pretty good!
So does that set sound like a good worthy set?

Thanks again:thumbsup:

#14 ·
Thanks for the replies.

I have been talking to Ghisallo Wheels and this what we came up with, wanted hope evo 2 hubs but price jumps a bit so suggested the white hubs.

arch or flow wheels
White Industries M16 hubs with rear 36 and front 32
black double butted spokes
red alloy nipples
taped for tubeless

$650 shipped

Just need tires and sealant...

Those continental tires look pretty good!
So does that set sound like a good worthy set?

Thanks again:thumbsup:
I'm kind of down on Stan's rims right now. Do a search for spoke tension and flows. When you build these wheels up, you get the spoke tension right, then when you mount a tire the wheel goes slack. Bottom line the beads fit very tight. So tight it can be difficult to mount and dismount tires. I'd never build a stan's rims for my wife or younger son because they'd never be about to change a tire on the trail.

The flow my older son has on the front performs fine and has been a reliable tubeless rig. But it doesn't offer any benefit over the i23 rims on my bike and the i19 my son has on the rear of his bike, and the i# rims are easier to air up, easier to mount and unmount, and even more secure at lower pressures.

#7 ·
Ok sounds good then, the color part was hard to accept cause I wanted red since the hubs on the bike now came with red which go with its color scheme and why I picked it.
After I got the fork however it only comes in white that I really didnt want but what you gonna do lol, looking at it I thought red hubs would clash with the fork so gonna get the black ones and save a few buks to :thumbsup:

Those tires you linked say clincher will they work tubeless?

#8 ·
Sounds like a sweet wheelset. I'm in the Sac area and have been running flows with lightish tires (I like the extra wide footprint). So far, I haven't run into very demanding conditions, but various Kenda tires have been serving me well. Most of my rides involve 20+ miles of Tarmac on the ART, so fast tread is paramount to me.

#11 ·
Sounds like your budget is under $1000 ? There are lots of choices out there.
Here are a few recommendations especially if you plan to ride more and see more of the trails in your area. For additional tire choices, you may want to check the N.California area folder and post up for some recommendations from the local riders -

wheels - Stans Notubes ArchEx, ext. rim width 24.6 mm, max. rider wt 230 lbs ($600)

front tire - Panaracer Rampage 29x2.35 ($50)
rear tire - go with the same as front or choose: Maxxis Ignitor 29x2.1 ($40) or Maxxis Ikon EXO 29x2.2 ($60)

If you plan to be riding more aggressively and want a wider rim width, the FlowEx have ext. rim width 29.1 mm, max rider wt. 250 lbs ($600).

Happy Trails !

#12 ·
Thanks I will check that section, like to find others to ride with to.
Yea less then $1000 wanted to be more around the $600 range which Ghisallo Wheels got me in that range, I was going to go right through Stans web store where you can build your wheels with various options but that came to $775 with hope hubs.

#16 ·
I hate to harp on it, but i wouldnt go used when i could get that set from jenson for under 200. To the op, you already stated your a bit of a newb. Start with the jenson wheels then save up a couple more months and buy your "dream wheels". As someone over 200lbs i wouldnt want to be messing around with rims that have known tensioning problems

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

#17 ·
You could consider Sun Ringle Charger (Flow) or Blackflag (Arch)wheelset. Couple of people here ride them and seem pretty happy with them. Range of models from around $350 to $650. They have Stan's BST rim profiles. Comes with all adapters for 9mm, 15mm,or 20mm front. They also come with rim tape and sealant.

#19 ·
I recently purchased a NEW set of Stan's Flow EX 29" wheels with Stan's 3.30 HD hubs for $479.00 shipped on eBay. I set them up with Schwalbe Racing Ralph's. I went 2.4 on the front and 2.25 on the rear. I'm in SoCal, hard pack with loose gravel. I am very happy with wheelset so far. Tires are great as well. I run Nobby Nics on my 26" bike and I don't like them as much as the Racing Ralphs.

#21 ·
I have owned more than a dozen wheelsets over the seasons. I usually have more trouble deciding on hubs than the rims. I currently have DT Swiss hubs built on Stan's Flow's which have had no issues w/ a season's use. I have had trouble, in the past, w/ damaging rim sidewalls which have not happened w/ the Flows (lowered sidewall ? Maybe). Don't think you can go wrong w/ WTB's or Flows. If you ride hard or don't run enough air you will kill any rim. Improper initial build or lack of tension will also hurt any rim. I really like the DT hubs and the 350 is a cheaper alternative to the 240.

#22 ·
Hey man,
Thanks for chiming in, helped me on the shock decision :thumbsup:

More then likely I will just go with my list I posted, flows with white hubs...price isnt bad the builder has good rep. Far as the dream set I dont really have one in mind, dont know enough obviously to decide what would be considered a dream set, maybe carbon fiber? lol...really was set on hope 2 hubs but saving $125 seems alot just to get red hubs so black it is :)

Sure I will be back, plans to upgrade other items later but these 2 things were the most costly(fork and wheels) so thats done....next is maybe brakes, shifters or cranks. This bike came with pretty low stuff so plan was going in to upgrade as I could...

btw is their anything I need to know about swapping my cog set from wheel to the next? Its a 24sp right now but like to up that when I do shifters.

Thanks again for all the help appreciate it.

#27 ·
Went to performance yesterday and picked up the park cassette tool and their brand chain whip, girlfriend paid for it for a late xmas gift lol...she also picked up one tire but not sure now if its a good choice, the guy there siad he used it and would be good for the local trails and pavement its a stans raven, he suggested putting it on the rear and run something else up front...

They have a poor selection of tires and had to order the Stans but here are some I looked up online, what so you guys think?

WTG Bronson 2.2
Schwalbe Racing Ralph 2.2
Kenda Nevegal
Kenda Small Block 8
WTB Wolverine
Maxxis Ardent

#28 ·
I have no idea what the trails are like in Sacramento, but I would be hard pressed trying to find a balance between road and trail. Not sure what your road requirements are but I might consider putting some low resistance road worthy tires on your old wheel set and put some good trail tires on your new set. I don't think you will find a happy medium between the two.

So that in mind I understand there can be a lot of loose dirt. Someone already mentioned it. Maxxis Ignitors for the rear and a Panaracer rampage in the front. That is what I am running right now. A bit more rolling resistance for the rampage than I like but it makes up for it in traction and cornering. While I don't have one yet everything I have read the Schwalbe Nobby Nic for the front is probably hard to beat in terms of lightness, least rolling resistance, and cornering grip. Out of the ones you have listed though an I would think and Ardent 2.4 in the front would do well.

#29 ·
Actually have been thinking about the 2 tire setup, catch is I need to get the front wheel redone to fit the 15mm axle so maybe a reasonable hub nothing fancy.

Guess far as terrain its got river rock all over and a loose sandy like top layer then its pretty much hard dirt under that....this is my stock tires from bontrager and they slide around alot on the trail, other shot is the trail best one I got right now.

Ah forgot I had the iphone rolling on my first time out on it, can see the ground well lol
First Ride On New 2013 Trek Wahoo - YouTube

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.