mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Need some fork help for a older newbie...

While I am very mechnically inclined I need some help firguring out which Rockshox Reba RL to order for my 2012 Trek Mamba. I know it is a 1 1/8" steerer but not sure if it is a tapered shaft, ect.... Also does anyone know if this particular model fork comes compatible with the G2 geometry (51mm offset) by chance?

Anyone out there can help me out I would greatly appreciate it, plan on ordering it online once I can narrow the model down. Also do you have to cut the fork down or do they come to the correctly legnth when new?

Thanks in advance...Todd

mtbr member
    Not tapered, just strait 1 1/8". And you can use a standard offset 29er fork on a G2 frame...it will ever so slightly slow the steering.
    Former bicycle mechanic for 8 years, current soil scientist.

Blog

mtbr member
    If you want to keep the G2 offset, you would have to either order from Trek (not sure if that's possible) or find someone who upgraded their bike and is getting rid of a Reba with G2 offset. The forks you find at most retailers (both online and LBS) won't have the G2 offset.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    G2 forks appear on ebay frequently under 29er in sporting goods.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Yeah none of the LBS have any left over G2 higher end stuff, most of them only come in after they are trashed. If all it is going to do is slow down the turn in a little I can deal with that. LBS found me a Reba RL for $00, alot of coin when they are all ove rthe web and ebay for $300-400 all day long.

Other LBS is trying to get me to just trade in the Mamba (it is in perfect condition) and jump up to a Giant Anthem X 29'er 4 which I would love to do, the wife on the other hand is less than pleased to hear that suggestion as it will be the 5th mountain bike then along with ym 2 road bikes this year will meant I have dropped almost $6k in bikes this year alone not counting gear and everything else.

I can do wheels and the fork for less than the jump to the Anthem x will be with trading my bike in.

decision, decisions....

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by TJay74 View Post
    Yeah none of the LBS have any left over G2 higher end stuff, most of them only come in after they are trashed. If all it is going to do is slow down the turn in a little I can deal with that. LBS found me a Reba RL for $00, alot of coin when they are all ove rthe web and ebay for $300-400 all day long.

Other LBS is trying to get me to just trade in the Mamba (it is in perfect condition) and jump up to a Giant Anthem X 29'er 4 which I would love to do, the wife on the other hand is less than pleased to hear that suggestion as it will be the 5th mountain bike then along with ym 2 road bikes this year will meant I have dropped almost $6k in bikes this year alone not counting gear and everything else.

I can do wheels and the fork for less than the jump to the Anthem x will be with trading my bike in.

decision, decisions....
    I would not consider a fork without the proper offset to be an upgrade.

$00 sounds like a great price, though
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Well after checking out the Anthem X 29'er 4 I was not impressed with it. The fork is not really any better than the one on the Mamba and the shock is the basic one as well. I really did not like the shifters or deraillures either.

In order to get the Anthem X the way I would want it would require me looking at the Anthem X 29'er 1 at $2600 minus my trade. At that point I am well above the price point I was wanting to stay in.

Nice thing though, the shop with the Anthem said he can order me a black Rockshox Reba RL for me at $450, then $450 for a set of Stans Arch Ex wheels and another $100 to get them setup to run tubeless.

So it seems I am going to stick with my Mamba for now, frame wise for a HT the frame gives up nothing compared to the other Trek HT models other than running gear, that can be swapped out down the road as the other components wear out.

Thanks for the help, looks like going to this shop worked out since they can get the G2 fork for me at a decent price.

mtbr member
    FYI, you could probably set up the Stans wheels tubeless by yourself for a lot less than the $100. I'm guessing you'd need to get the valves and tape and the rest of the $$ they're charging is for labor.

Valves are $16 from Stan's, tape is $13.50.

It all depends on how comfortable you are doing work on your bike yourself...

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    The $100 is mainly the cost of new tires, the wheels come ready to run other than the stans sealant I belive.

mtbr member
    Gotcha. That makes a little more sense.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Well had the new fork installed tonight, along with truing my rear wheel I jacked up and the guy also reset and adjusted the rear deraillure for me as well.

The new fork is worlds ahead of the stock Rockshox XC32, I went with the Rockshox Reba RLT Dual air and I like it so far on the short test drive, flipped the stem and adjusted the seat per the mechanics fit recommendation.

Now to get the wheels on and get setup tubeless and ride it.