mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Need me a 29er mud tire with lots of traction and mud shedding

i have not really ridden in the mud due to it being taboo in the local area. now that i moved to a constantly raining place i need to ride when its wet.

trails are forest with good drainage to sticky mud, roots and some occasional small rocks.

trails hold up well to riding or they are not ridden.

right now i have rampage, racing ralphs, michelin xt and panaracer tires.

bike is a rigid single speed

Rogue Exterminator
    You may get a better response in your new local forum and see what the people in your area are riding on.

My area is similar, I have an WTB Exiwolf on the front and a Maxis Aspin on the rear of my full suspension and it seems to work well except on slick climbs. The Aspin is a good fast tire but sucks for traction in anything wet.

My hard tail has Geax Seguros. They are labeled as multi directional.
    The rear is flipped for traction and the front set to speed. Also seems to work well and having the rear flipped helps a lot on the climbs.

I would not consider any of my tire combinations the best though. They are good and work but I am sure there is better. This is just what either came with the bike or what I was able to get a deal on.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I am running Specialized Purgatory in 2.3" and find it to have very good clearance and wet traction.
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Necro Pugs w/ Lefty PBR
    Surly Big Dummy

MTB B'dos
    If you've got loads of clearance, then I'd suggest something maybe like the On-One Chunky Monkey (upfront for sure) and out back the Smorgasbord. We've had a load of rain recently, raining nearly every night and I went out today with this combo and it worked quite well on my FS. On my Rigid I have a 2.4" Adrent outback and 2.4" Chunky Monkey upfront, if you have the room to run true 2.4" tyres, then you could do the CM F&R and use the Trail Extreme compound for the front and Enduro for the rear - to me the Enduro still is very soft. FYI, Maxxis makes these tyres for On-One and the CM is built on the same casing as the 2.4" Ardent.

Other mud specific options are the Bontrager MudX (renamed now to something else), bit more expensive but the Maxxis HR2 does very well in those sorts of conditions, has good volume and comes in 2 compounds - I ran the normal, harder compound while testing it and it worked quite well for me, expect the 3C would be even better.

If you can find them, a cheaper option as well is the CST OUSTER, they only come in 2.25", but man do they work in the wet and much, find traction when you think you shouldn't be able to.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    If you can find them, a cheaper option as well is the CST OUSTER, they only come in 2.25", but man do they work in the wet and much, find traction when you think you shouldn't be able to.

Not to hijack this guys question, but I think its applicable. How do you find the Ousters on wet roots? I realize that little short of studs will be perfect but my AKA's are pretty sketchy and I'm torn between going Ardent, Ignitor, or Ouster. I have a set of Caballero's in 26 that I like well enough so I figured I'd explore other CST branded options.

MTB B'dos
    Of the 3 tyres you list, the Ouster is the best of them when it comes to wet, Ignitor would be my 2nd choice, Ardent sucks in the wet. Compound isn't the softest, but it's softer than the normal compound of the Ignitor, although not sure if a 3C Ignitor would be better than the Ouster. As far as wet performance goes and in the mud and slop, none of those two can hold a candle to the Ouster - my first experience with them was wet and went down a gravel road cut ontop of coralstone/rock and there were patches of solid rock which I didn't know had moss on them, I made it over that haulin ass on my HT and never looked back when using them, fantastic tyres and about 1/2 the cost.

Quote Originally Posted by skyphix View Post
    Not to hijack this guys question, but I think its applicable. How do you find the Ousters on wet roots? I realize that little short of studs will be perfect but my AKA's are pretty sketchy and I'm torn between going Ardent, Ignitor, or Ouster. I have a set of Caballero's in 26 that I like well enough so I figured I'd explore other CST branded options.
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Living in the tropics, there is a lot of rain and mud here as well. My bike came with Racing Ralphs, which clogged up so fast that the bike wouldn't move. I replaced them with Nobby Nics, which don't hold the mud and are excellent tires in general, especially when run tubeless at lower pressures. My $.02.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Got Bontrager Mud Tyres front and back for the Winter Months 29 x 2" they are a revelation compared to normal all round tyres i had before which were next to useless.

Im just trying a Vredestein Black Panther Xtreme on front of my Niner and thats proving good in wet/Damp Mud conditions but not as good as the Bontragers (but is a tubless ready tyre)

MTB B'dos
    Are you saying the Bonti Mud tyre is no longer TLR? When I got mine a few years ago they only came with the TLR casing, which surprisingly was very light for how thick and stout it was - aired up with hand pump and held air pretty much indefinitely.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrewfuzzy View Post
    Got Bontrager Mud Tyres front and back for the Winter Months 29 x 2" they are a revelation compared to normal all round tyres i had before which were next to useless.

Im just trying a Vredestein Black Panther Xtreme on front of my Niner and thats proving good in wet/Damp Mud conditions but not as good as the Bontragers (but is a tubless ready tyre)
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Dropshot Champ!
    Quote Originally Posted by XJaredX View Post
    I am running Specialized Purgatory in 2.3" and find it to have very good clearance and wet traction.
    this.

pair it with a ground control out back if you don't like the purg out back. Purgatory up front clears mud insanely well. Traction for days.

mtbr member
    Slow as ass,

But
    Nevegals

mtbr member
    My Carve came with Ground Controls front and rear, they did great on everything except pure mud, it rains a lot here so I'm trying out a Purgatory 2.3 in the front now , I'll y'all know the report!

Jake

mtbr member
    I use a Bontrager EXR 2.2 rear.. tread pattern is spread out enough to shed mud nicely and soft compound for good traction. I live in Raincouver(Vancouver) so riding in the wet here is normal everyday life.

SP Singletrack rocks
    Aug 2006
    Conti MK 2 maybe go narrow
    Geax Gato

and if its really muddy and not to rooty/rocky and/or you have full suspension Maxxis Beaver 2.0 120 tpi

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by ascarlarkinyar View Post
    i have not really ridden in the mud due to it being taboo in the local area. now that i moved to a constantly raining place i need to ride when its wet.

trails are forest with good drainage to sticky mud, roots and some occasional small rocks.

trails hold up well to riding or they are not ridden.

right now i have rampage, racing ralphs, michelin xt and panaracer tires.

bike is a rigid single speed
    Bonty Mud or Maxxis Beaver. Done.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

MTB B'dos
    For some reason forgot all about the Beaver, maybe cause I wasn't sure if they'd released the wider version we'd heard about and didn't want to let the rabbit out of the bag - just checked and they list the new wider 2.25" EXO-60 TPI one, so no worries now. Beaver.

Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    Bonty Mud or Maxxis Beaver. Done.
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Cassoulet forever !
    check out the new Michelin specific mud tire, with the twisting spikes
    Frenchspeaking 29"ers community site http://VingtNeuf.org

mtbr member
    Love the purgatory on the back and butcher on the front. Have had the best luck out of specialized tires.

mtbr member
    I have a nearly new condition set of Kenda Klaw XTs that I'd sell cheap if you're interested. Fantastic mud tires.