mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Need help going from 2x10 to 1x10 for xc racing.

Sorry for the slightly noob question here. But I have a 2011 Cannondale F29 1 with a 2x10 setup and i would like to turn that into 1x10. I know i will need a new crank and a chain guide.

So I do XC racing and my question is what cranks would be light and compatible with my frame/bottom bracket which is bb30. Or are bottom brackets a package deal?

Any help would be appreciated!

mtbr member
    You don't necessarily need a new crank or a chain guide. You can probably go with a new single narrow wide chainring (race face, wolftooth, absolute black, etc)

What crankset do you have?

Why do you want to go 1x10? If you are racing, I would think having the extra ratios would be beneficial compared to dropping a little weight.
    2008 Redline Monocog 29er SS/Rigid
    2013 Marin Mount Vision XM7
    FS: 26" Black Flag Expert Wheelset (new), Reba 29 Fork

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I currently have FSA afterburners 2x10.

The reason i want to go to 1x10 is because i have literally never ever shifted to my granny gear and never ever plan on doing so. I have no use for it. That being said i would like to save weight and clutter by removing my useless FD and FD shifter. Which would also help save weight.

mtbr member
    Ugh. I dislike those cranks because of the design... You wont be able to use a narrow wide chain ring with that, but you could always just drop a chainring, derailleur, and shifter and use a chainguide.

If you want to replace the crankset, there are lots of options.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Ok so if i want to replace my crankset. WHich cranks would make it worth replacing them all. XX1? XO?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by colehasarsx View Post
    Ok so if i want to replace my crankset. WHich cranks would make it worth replacing them all. XX1? XO?
    XX1 uses a proprietary BCD for chainrings. If you want more options skip them.
    Need help going from 2x10 to 1x10 for xc racing.-img_20130911_172546.jpg

This is my setup with XT cranks and a narrow wide chainring.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    so your saying if i want more options for chainrings, dont get xx1? only reason i mentioned it is because its carbon/lightweight/highquality.

mtbr member
    so your saying if i want more options for chainrings, dont get xx1? only reason i mentioned it is because its carbon/lightweight/highquality.
    XX1 is carbon, lightweight and high quality, but its at a premium. And right now you can only use sram chainrings. Others give you more options in sizes, colors and price. Check out the new race face next cranks. XTR cranks are light and give you more options.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    they dont make 1x10 specific xtr cranks correct? what would i buy just the BB and the arms and then buy a custom 1x10 chainring?

mtbr member
    I dont think shimano makes BB30 cranksets. You have to buy an adapter or something...

My cranks are 3x9 and I just converted them to 1x9. You could go with these:
    FSA K-Force Light BB30 Shimano 10sp Crankset | Chain Reaction Cycles

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Ok i like those! ill look up some reviews around them. And since they have the 104 BCD it could be compatible with multiple chainrings. correct?

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by moefosho View Post
    XX1 uses a proprietary BCD for chainrings. If you want more options skip them.

This is my setup with XT cranks and a narrow wide chainring.
    For 1x10, SRAM does offer more options. The smallest you can usually run on a converted setup like that is 30t, but it's real hard to find and only a couple companies make it. You can easily run 28 or 30t on the SRAM setup, as well as larger rings. The chainring on the XX1 crankset DOES grip the chain extremely well, negating a chainguide with the clutch derailleurs. Lastly, you can switch those chainrings on the XX1 crankset without even taking the crankset off the bike.

I'm partial to shimano, just so you know, but for 1x10, I think SRAM does offer more options with the XX1/X01 cranksets. Anything else can work, it's just not going to have as many real options (great that you can use other company's chainrings, but will they grip the chain like XX1 and do you have the same size selection?).

You can get XX1 cranksets on Amazon for about $280 bucks (I did).
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    For 1x10, SRAM does offer more options. The smallest you can usually run on a converted setup like that is 30t, but it's real hard to find and only a couple companies make it. You can easily run 28 or 30t on the SRAM setup, as well as larger rings. The chainring on the XX1 crankset DOES grip the chain extremely well, negating a chainguide with the clutch derailleurs. Lastly, you can switch those chainrings on the XX1 crankset without even taking the crankset off the bike.

I'm partial to shimano, just so you know, but for 1x10, I think SRAM does offer more options with the XX1/X01 cranksets. Anything else can work, it's just not going to have as many real options (great that you can use other company's chainrings, but will they grip the chain like XX1 and do you have the same size selection?).

Ok so my question now is would the xx1 work with my 10 speed cassette if it is made for 1x11?

Secondly i have a x9 RD and i dont believe it has a clutch. Could i just chainguide until i upgraded it to a clutch RD?

I really like the look of the xx1

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post

XX1 is a an expensive option to go 1x11. Cole can easily convert his existing crankset with Wolf Tooth that only less than $100. You still need a chain guide, because in my experience when though I'm using Saint m820 shadow+, my chain still derailed during aggressive downhill. I've converted my XT double crank to 1x10 with SR4 renthal.

I am not too familiar with FSA crank, just look up Products | wolftoothcomponents.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Ok so my question now is would the xx1 work with my 10 speed cassette if it is made for 1x11?

Secondly i have a x9 RD and i dont believe it has a clutch. Could i just chainguide until i upgraded it to a clutch RD?

As long as you have chain guide you don't need clutch RD. XX1 crank should work with 10 speed. but I suggest try saint, XT or even e.thirteen crankset. its cheaper than XX1 and more durable, since it does not use carbon arms.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by rave81 View Post
    XX1 is a an expensive option to go 1x11. Cole can easily convert his existing crankset with Wolf Tooth that only less than $100. You still need a chain guide, because in my experience when though I'm using Saint m820 shadow+, my chain still derailed during aggressive downhill. I've converted my XT double crank to 1x10 with SR4 renthal.

I am not too familiar with FSA crank, just look up Products | wolftoothcomponents.com
    Yep, you absolutely need a chainguide, the clutch derailleur is not enough to keep the chain on there, unless you have XX1/wide-narrow chainrings, but add up the cost, $100 chainring, your $150 chainguide, we are at $250 and the XX1 cranks at $280 will shave half a pound and only $30 more.

Point was of course those 30t rings can be hard to come by, a 28t? Forget it. Not that 2t will necessarily make a world of difference, but we were talking about flexibility/options and which setup has more.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

Elitest thrill junkie

Works fine, there are no issues using a 10spd chain and cassette with the XX1 cranks, lots of people do it. Use whatever shifters and clutch derailleurs you want. This is the "poor man's" XX1 IMO. If you can do a 28t x 36t rear cog, you'll have a lot of gearing, I don't need gearing that low, but you can go there if you need it.

Without a clutch derailleur, yes, you'll want a guide. There are some very simple ones out there that are pretty light and inexpensive. I think the X9s that came about mid-season on new bikes all had clutches, mind did. You will know it's a clutch because there's a little button down by the lower derailleur pivot that has a locking symbol on it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    My Speci 1x10 is an XO non clutch rear D with e13 plastic guide and XO single ring. All stock on 2011 Evo R ht. Selling to friend and he plans to keep it stock/as-is. Works perfect.

The Scott HT is 1x10 with XTR clutch, XTR arms with Wolftooth and no guide. Perfect.

My FS is 1x10 with XTR clutch, XT arms and RaceFace narrow wide 30T 104bcd pattern. No chainguide. Works awesome.

The other bike is XX1 rear D/cassette/trigger with 10sp Shimano chain and Shimano crankarms with RaceFace narrow wide. No chain guide. Works perfect.

The 104 bcd narrow-wide from RaceFace are inexpensive, less than Wolf Tooth, and work awesome. But a 30T RF tacks on about $15 and I think price is comparable to WT.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Ok one thing to note, Im currently rocking a 39t on my fsa afterburner. So i honestly think id want to go to a 36t and no lower.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Ok one thing to note, Im currently rocking a 39t on my fsa afterburner. So i honestly think id want to go to a 36t and no lower.
    Are you sure you want to use that, because you will suffer in long steep climb, unless you are fit as the competitors in superenduro. At least 32t or 34t if you are climbing long steep hill.

mtbr member
    Dont do it ! 2x10's are better!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I have all the parts on the way to convert a 2x9 setup to a 1x10.

Im retaining my SLX cranks. Total cost was $302 shipped for the following:

*RaceFace wide/narrow 30t
    *BBG Bashguard
    *Zee 10sp shifter
    *SLX Mid Cage Shadow plus RD
    *Shimano M771 cassette
    *KMC gold chain for a little bling

I went with a mid cage RD in case I try the 41t option later on if I don't have enough gearing.

mtbr member
    My bike came stock with a 1x10 but I have since ditched the chain guide and went with a Wolf Tooth ring (highly recommend over any of the others). I still run the regular XO short cage rear derailleur and have only dropped the chain once in a couple of months. 1x10 for our conditions here is the ticket. Sounds like you need a new crank (just get a SRAM X9..then you can run the Wolf Tooth spiderless ring). You will also need a short or medium cage r. derailleur..may as well get a clutch-style if you are upgrading..either the Shimano XT or X9 are economical and high-performing. You will also need to shorten your chain a bit..probably only a few links. Some great info on the Wolf Tooth site. The rest of my riding group (4 of them) have all switched over to 1x10 in the last few months..the conversion is v. easy.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    You never drop into your granny with a 39t big ring?? Either you're a BEAST or you don't have any long or steep climbs