mtbr member
    Oct 2017

Need help with forks.

Hey guys I have a 2018 Cannondale Trail 5. Its got a tapered head tube, so now I'm looking at picking up the Rockshox Recon Silver. I'm a little confused about buying a fork with either tapered or straight steerer tube. I think I've heard there's adapters and stuff to run a straight fork in a tapered frame, is this true? If anyone can give me some advice that would be awesome, also pictures would greatly help. Thank you.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Need help with forks.-img_20171005_205557.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    It will benefit you (along with making it easier) to get a fork with a tapered steerer tube. This "should" fit your existing headset with minimal if any issues (but it is the bike industry where standards are never that).

It will also give you more options for forks from super entry level all the way up to top of the line and everything in between.

The options for running straight steerer tubes are more for the guys with nice older straight forks that have to get new frames. There are still new straight steerer tube forks being made, but much less than there used to be so your options are not as good.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Rides Bikes View Post
    It will benefit you (along with making it easier) to get a fork with a tapered steerer tube. This "should" fit your existing headset with minimal if any issues (but it is the bike industry where standards are never that).

It will also give you more options for forks from super entry level all the way up to top of the line and everything in between.

The options for running straight steerer tubes are more for the guys with nice older straight forks that have to get new frames. There are still new straight steerer tube forks being made, but much less than there used to be so your options are not as good.
    Thanks for the advice. I found out my bike already runs a 1-1/8 with headset reducer so I went with the Rockshox Recon which came with a straight tube and i ordered a headset reducer just incase the one i already have on the bike wont work or anything.