mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Need help buying parts for my first wheel building venture!

I want to get a set of Chinese carbon rims to see how they hold up and if they really all that and a box of rocks.

I am not sure what company I am going to order the rims from but I think I will go with 32h rims.

My question is I am not sure what I need to keep in mind when I order the other parts.

I would like them to be a fairly light wheelset as they will be going on a lightweight 29er HT.

What are some hubs that are nice but not nearly the price of DT 240's or even CK hubs?

Where can I find out what I will need for nipples and spokes? length? are some spokes not compatible with some hubs?

Any advice would really help me out!

bt
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Prowheelbuilder.com CUSTOM HAND BUILT BICYCLE WHEELS Built By Professionals - Prowheelbuider.com is a good source for products and references for wheel building. There you will find a spoke calc tab to calculating needed spokes lengths. They also have a good supply of spokes, nipples and tools you may need. I would recommend Hope Pro II as reasonable value hubs. American Classic are good as well without getting crazy expensive. Sram X.9 is a good front hub but not so good for the rear. Shimano XT is OK if you don't mind the weight.

DT Swiss also have a spoke calc spreadsheet you can reference for proper spoke lengths. Sheldon Brown is another good reference for wheel building (how to). You will need the ERD (effective rim diameter) in order to calculate spoke length requirements. That's a spec you should be able to find on the associated web page for your rims. You must have that spec to move forward. Good Luck!

AZ
    banned
    Use plenty of beer during the build.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bt View Post

Actually, this is a very good point. Stans rims are just as light, less expensive and probably stronger.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by madog99 View Post
    Actually, this is a very good point. Stans rims are just as light, less expensive and probably stronger.

Stan's are not stronger. They are not only not as strong they are not as stiff.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Two of the several things I would use-- Parks TM-1 tensioning guage and nipple washers to spread the load.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by simpy16 View Post
    I want to get a set of Chinese carbon rims to see how they hold up and if they really all that and a box of rocks.

I am not sure what company I am going to order the rims from but I think I will go with 32h rims.

My question is I am not sure what I need to keep in mind when I order the other parts.

I would like them to be a fairly light wheelset as they will be going on a lightweight 29er HT.

What are some hubs that are nice but not nearly the price of DT 240's or even CK hubs?

Where can I find out what I will need for nipples and spokes? length? are some spokes not compatible with some hubs?

Any advice would really help me out!
    Hubs-Hope Pro2 Evo hubs are reasonably light, very well made, come in lots of colors, and are adaptable to practically every axle size. You might also look at American Classic hubs if your looking to shave extra weight. They are not as adaptible as the Hope hubs and only come in black, but they are very light while still being quite reliable. The Hope hubs are quite loud when coasting, the AC hubs are nearly silent...some people care about this so I'm mentioning it.

Spokes and Nipples-The only spokes that will not fit standard MTB hubs are full aero bladed spokes. Oval spokes will still fit (such as Sapim CX Ray) no problem. You need to get your basic measurements and use a spoke calculator such as this one to get the correct spoke length.
    Edd, an easy to use spoke length calculator
    Former bicycle mechanic for 8 years, current soil scientist.

Blog

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I built some of the chinese rims on Hope evo's and revo spokes. They weigh in the low 1500's Been great so far.
    Small ring in front makes it easier. Small ring in back makes it harder. That blows my mind.

mtbr member
    Hope EVO / Revo / Carbon rims low 1500's? Not likely. More like mid 1600's.

Keep in mind that the main reason people seem to go carbon is for the stifness.
    If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains,
    you're lucky enough.

Prime
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    Two of the several things I would use-- Parks TM-1 tensioning guage and nipple washers to spread the load.
    Like nipple rings, only flatter. Good idea.

Prime
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    Use plenty of beer during the build.
    In place of a tension meter?

Custom Wheelbuilder
    You could build on White Industries hubs. They are pretty durable, and they aren't too costly.
    Check out www.zencyclery.com for fully customizable, handbuilt wheels.

www.facebook.com/zencyclerywheels

Prime
    Look at DTSwiss 350's. Not as nice as 240s, but a whole lot cheaper, and nice enough.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    When you decide to purchase carbon mtb rims (29er or 26er), you need to ask the supplier the ERD details, then you will know the length of spokes to match the rim, a carbon 29er rims with details for your reference: 29er clincher - Super light! - MTB - Rims