mtbr member
    Aug 2015

Need Fork Recomendation

I have a two year old Hardrock with 29'' tires. It has Suntour XCT forks. I pulled them apart today to check seals, clean and oil. The seal must have failed at some point and the spring is totally rusted out. I'm thinking I might be better off just getting new forks rather than buy parts and rebuild already crappy forks.

This bike is a commuter and mountain trail rides. I'm not looking for something expensive.

What are your recommendations?

This is my first post so sorry if this has already been answered on another thread.

mtbr member
    I was going to suggest the Suntour loyalty upgrade program but I see that they are out of stock of the Raidon forks for about 3 more weeks. So in light of that a good budget fork would be a Rockshox XC 32 Solo Air fork. You can get new ones on fleebay for about $180 shipped.

RockShox XC32TK Solo Air 29" 100mm Fork 9x1 9QR 1 1 8" Turnkey Black Rim or Disc | eBay

Rock Shox XC32 TK Straight 29'' Fork Suspension Travel 100mm Q R 9mm New | eBay

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

cowbell
    Another option to consider is a Manitou Marvel. I've got a Reba on my FS and recently bought a Marvel Comp for my SS. I think the Marvel is a better ride than the Reba, honestly.

Gew
    mtbr member

Hope

Guys, I'd love a recommendation too, so I bump this thread. Early this spring, I bought my first 29:er. It was a real bargain; some e-store had a huge frame model, said to be recommended for tall (185-205 cm) people.

Anyways, I got the complete bike for what equals to approx. $530, which IMO is still to day the cheapest brand new 29:er I've seen. Entrance level Shimano stuff all around, e.g. Tourney TX for gear shifters, Bowden cable operated disc brakes, Shimano of course.

Yeah, enough beating around the bush. I'm happy with the bike. The only thing that really makes me aware of the fact that it's a cheap(!) bike is the fork. It's a "Zoom" (manufacturer) spring type fork, i.e. no real hydraulics whatsoever involved. I ride pretty rough, lifting the front of the bike more or less all the time. Every time I do so, when this "fake suspension" fork compresses and decompresses, it feels really nasty. Cheap.

I'm aware that a serious fork will cost me more than the entire bike, so I'm interested in advice in some "entrance level" fork that will be a good bang for the buck. Actually, I'd rather live without any compression at all, instead of the shitty was this fork work. So, I've been looking around for stiff forks, but it seems pretty much impossible to find such that has mounting for disc brakes.

I asked at our LBS and the clerk said that they were really rare, and that I'd probably be better off buying a cheap fork with compression. Oh, he even gave me the name on a cheap entrance level fork from RockShox, unfortunately I can't remember it's name.
    Last edited by Gew; 2 Weeks Ago at 04:47 AM. Reason: Splitting text into paragraphs, for easier reading.

Just Ride!
    I just replaced a very harsh Rock Shox SID with a Magura on closeout

LeftLane Sports - Magura TS8 R 100 29er - 2013

mtbr member
    Sounds like you and I were in the same boat. My Rockshox XC32 coil fork crapped out on my 3 year old Specialized Carve a few weeks ago.

I figured I could buy the same Rockshox fork, with the air upgrade for around $230. Since I ride my bike hard and often, I went with an X-Fusion Slide on-line. I paid a little over $350. I think the RockShox XC 32 Solo Air would be a good shock for your usage and budget. Depending on your steering configuration you could get out as cheap as $180.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Amazon has fox 32's and RS revelations at $429 right now.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Have to keep in mind, 1 1/8" steer tube and QR dropouts will be required. Good forks usually don't have these features.

Good but expensive forks have been listed. For serious trail riding, I wouldn't go anything less than a rockshox recon (which is available with a straight steer tube and QR dropouts). air cartridge and metal bushings, while the rockshox XC32 uses plastic bushings. Good for a couple years, but with hard use, they go out and cannot be replaced. The metal ones last longer and are replacable.

For a super cheap fork that still works, the rockshox XC28 is acceptable for a light weight rider, or the Suntour XCR for someone over 200lbs (larger stanchion diameter). Neither will match those listed above, but they're better than the cheap stock forks.

cowbell
    Seriously. If you need a 1 1/8 fork an 9mm QR on a good quality fork, I've already posted the answer.

Manitou Marvel Comp Forks - 9mmQR 2015 | Chain Reaction Cycles