mtbr member
    Mar 2007

In need of a durable tire recommendation.

I blew out the sidewall on a continental vapor today. These were the tires that came on the bike. I just read that they have a thin sidewall.

Right now I am riding MUTs pulling a Burley. I very rarely get on the trails. I don't really care about weight. I am looking for something durable that is good on muts and occasionally on a Midwestern type trail. I have never bought bike tires before. What do you recommend? Should I ditch the front vapor as well? It was the rear that blew.

Thanks

turtles make me hot
    I'm a big clyde and ride pretty gnarly trails. I've been having very good results with a Geax Saguaro. Some of my friends run it front and rear. I only run it in back.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    I have a set of tires I swap onto my bike when I'm riding mixed trails like your MUT's - some of them are paved, some are gravel, some are just dirt. My main issue was something that was relatively durable (ie wouldn't wear out fast on the paved trails) while still providing decent traction on the dirt trails, and wouldn't break the bank. I went with a set of CST something-or-other that looked good. I think they were ~$30 each, I've put about 60 miles on them (mostly over the winter) and they don't really even look like they've been used. They are certainly not light weight tires, so I think they should fit your purpose.

Oh and I've just checked, trying to find the name of the tire. Here it is - and sorry to disappoint, they were about $30 for the PAIR:
    Universal Cycles -- CST Caballero Comp Tire

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    I'm a big clyde and ride pretty gnarly trails. I've been having very good results with a Geax Saguaro. Some of my friends run it front and rear. I only run it in back.
    But be shure to buy the TNT Version of the Saguaro or other Geax tires, because this has a sidewall protection - the normal folding version doesn't have one.

Beut there are other tires with sidewall protection: continentals "protection" tires or Maxxis "EXO" tires.

banned
    Aug 2012
    I just took a pair of Saguaro GEAX non-folders of my 29 ( Highly recommended !! ) and replaced them with Continental Contacts ... Went road, and all but the top 5 gears are worthless, now LOL ... Gear change ?

Big Boy
    geax aka tnt is a very durable tire. This tire isn't too heavy, and it is much more durable than most other tires "puncture proof" tires such as snakeskin and exo. Great tire for MUT.
    -It's time to shred some mild to moderate gnar!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Kenda Honey Badger, the sidewall is thick and it rolls fast and hooks up great!

long time listener
    What about an all around tire, without knobs (doesn't sound like you really need them)? Something like these Continental Town & Country city tires.

Continental Town & Country City Tire - City Bike Tires

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I have a pair of Continental Mountain King Protection tires and have been very happy with them: Continental Bicycle -*Mountain King II

I ride rocky, midwest trails and the thicker sidewall of the Protections have never let me down.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

In need of a durable tire recommendation.

Regular old folding Geax are tough as well and set themselves up on Stan's with a floor pump.

What's "social pace?"
    May 2008
    I have had zero issues in three years of regular riding with a Rampage front and Saguaro rear. Just plain folding. Awesome, and very durable.

I'm trying a Michelin Wildracer 2.2 right now and it feels like it may be better than the saguaro, but we'll see in 2k miles.

Slow and steady
    Jan 2004
    Halo Twin Rail is awesome for MUT, roads and the occasional easy singletrack. Very durable, quiet and fast. Cheap too. Only downside is a bit of weight, but that is a good tradeoff.
    It's a 6" 29er, 69 HTA, 29" standover, setup for 31.6 Joplin, 83mm BB, blah blah blah. A bike for being stupid. --Walt Wehner

What's "social pace?"
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by texasnavy05 View Post
    geax aka tnt is a very durable tire. This tire isn't too heavy, and it is much more durable than most other tires "puncture proof" tires such as snakeskin and exo. Great tire for MUT.
    I had one of these on for about a year. Compared to a Saguaro, it's a bit faster rolling but the sidewalls are less supportive so I had to run an extra 4lb or so. I've also had to repair punctures repeatedly including a rip in a corner knob that I'm still not sure I'd ever trust for racing. Never had that issue with the Saguaro.