mtbr member

Need a cassette for m529 hubs? Either Shimano hg61 or sram 990?

I am doing a build and using shimano m529 hubs on flow 29er wheels. Looking for a cassette and the hg61 looks to be decent and specifically recommended for 29ers while the 990 is lighter and not actually recommended for 29ers. Just curious what is more recommended.

mtbr member
    There is no such thing as a 29er specific cassette, the HG61 offers a larger 36t cog for a lower gear while the PG990 has a 34t but is quite a bit lighter (and more expensive).

Decide if you want a cheaper/heavier cassette with a lower gear (would be my choice) or a more expensive/lighter cassette with not quite as low of a gear.
    Former bicycle mechanic for 8 years, current soil scientist.

Blog

mtbr member
    The hg61 is labeled specifically as a 29er cassette, which is where I got the info from. I can get it for under $40 so it's def. the cheaper option but is a bit heavier for sure. The hg61 seems like the better option but I don't want to make the wrong choice.

http://www.jensonusa.com/!LN6pnYuDzZ...FUYw4AodXVQA3Q

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chillout2010 View Post
    The hg61 is labeled specifically as a 29er cassette
    So is the M529 hub...yet both will work perfectly fine on a 26er, 24er, 69er, Fatbike, etc.

Marketing perhaps

Blog

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike Whisperer View Post
    So is the M529 hub...yet both will work perfectly fine on a 26er, 24er, 69er, Fatbike, etc.

Marketing perhaps
    Thanks for the info. I'll have to research a bit more on them.

ballbuster

You sure you want to use that hub?

I am doing a build and using shimano m529 hubs on flow 29er wheels. Looking for a cassette and the hg61 looks to be decent and specifically recommended for 29ers while the 990 is lighter and not actually recommended for 29ers. Just curious what is more recommended.
    18 point freehub engagement drove me batshiz.

I would suggest looking for something with faster engagement.

But yeah, like others have said, the PG990 is lighter, but tops out at 34t for low gear.

Lord Thunderbottom
    I have both on different bikes, if you don't need 2 more teeth on the cassette just save the weight

the M529 hub is trash, engagement is terrible on my stock wheelset

mtbr member
    I'm very surprised to see the reviews on the 529. It had good reviews on the sites I checked, and a friend highly recommended it to me. It was also in my price range as I can't afford $200-300 a pop Chris kings. I got the front and rear for $61

As far as the cassette, I'm 5'6ish and around 150lb. I'm building up a small gt zaskar 29er frame. Using a Race Face Ride XC X Type 9sp crank . Am I going to need the lower gears on the trails? Would it benefit me on hills? I'm not overly concerned about weight due to my size and the frame is light as it is. I'm sure keeping it light is ideal but if I need to add a little weight to have a good durable cassette then so be it.

Sent from space and beamed to a screen near you.

mtbr member
    The M529 is indeed designated as a 29 hub for use with 36T cassettes. Shimano made the hub to comply with the requirements of European standards. The larger radius of a 36T cog increases torque on the hub. It is however a fairly low level hub for use with millions of bikes used for commuting in Europe.

At your weight I wouldn't worry too much about it but I would rather use a better quality hub like a SLX or XT. Also, are you doing a lot of steep, extended climbs? I'm 215lbs. and a 34T low gear is more than adequate. I do a lot of climbing in my area (Northern New Jersey).
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

mtbr member
    Central NY so there will be some climbs but nothing too serious. The most would probably be adirondack territory, but the bike may also see some neighborhood use too

Last edited by Chillout; 11-14-2012 at 02:15 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot View Post
    18 point freehub engagement drove me batshiz.

I would suggest looking for something with faster engagement.

But yeah, like others have said, the PG990 is lighter, but tops out at 34t for low gear.
    2011 models are actually 16 poe which may or may not be an issue for riders depending on the terrain they ride. The ONLY time I've noticed the difference between a low engagement hub and a high engagement hub (I've owned both) is on very technical trails that involve a lot of see-saw pedaling.

As it is, the M529 now comes with a 32 poe freehub body like the M629 and M665 hubs.

Blog

mtbr member
    I bought mine from Jenson last week and got the 2011, working on finding the 12' so I can have the better engagement. I think I might of found someone carrying them but they won't know till next week.

Cassette wise I'm looking for an alternative to the hg61 that's a little lighter but may end with that anyways.

ballbuster

I have...

Quote Originally Posted by Bike Whisperer View Post
    2011 models are actually 16 poe which may or may not be an issue for riders depending on the terrain they ride. The ONLY time I've noticed the difference between a low engagement hub and a high engagement hub (I've owned both) is on very technical trails that involve a lot of see-saw pedaling.

As it is, the M529 now comes with a 32 poe freehub body like the M629 and M665 hubs.
    .. but for exactly the reason you cite. I ride a lot of rocky steep climbs, and need to ratchet up and over things a lot.... plus, I'm a big (in girth) guy and ride a lot in granny gear (20x36, btw... making the problem even worse than normal).

Nothing drive me more crazy than having to spin the cranks around 1/6-1/4 revolution in granny gear before the freehub decides to lock up and start pushing the bike. Sometimes, those hubs feel like the freewheel is working in both directions.

At least the M775 level XT hubs are 36 point, and pretty cheap too. IIRC, they are about the same price as the M529. They had a bad batch of freehub pawls, but I think that issue has been ironed out. I have one on my hardtail, and so far I have around 600 miles on it with zero issues. Mikesee built me a Bontrager Mustang/XT hub/DT Spoke low-rent-but-good wheel for like $160, IIRC. I could be fuzzy on the price, as it was like 3 years ago.

*edit* Okay, it's a bit more, but not much at $65 shipped:

XT M775 36h Centerlock Rear Hub Black

... and centerlock rotors are a dime a dozen on fleabay. IMO, centerlock is easier and more reliable than 6 bolt. You can get a $10 adapter to use a regular 6 bolt if you like.

mtbr member
    I bought mine from Jenson last week and got the 2011, working on finding the 12' so I can have the better engagement. I think I might of found someone carrying them but they won't know till next week.

Cassette wise I'm looking for an alternative to the hg61 that's a little lighter but may end with that anyways.

The HG61 is the only 9 speed production cassette with a 36t large cog. There are some aftermarket cogs that work with lighter cassettes such as the PG990 from the likes of Action-Tec but now your really looking to spend some extra $$.

Blog

mtbr member
    Do you have the hg61, would you say it's worth the extra weight? I'm not totally interested in weight weenie but I am following it somewhat.

mtbr member
    Do you have the hg61, would you say it's worth the extra weight? I'm not totally interested in weight weenie but I am following it somewhat.

When I was running 9 speed, I used a XT 11-34 on my 29er. With my current geared bike, it has a SLX HG81 11-36 10 speed cassette and I will admit the 36t is nice but I made do just fine with the 11-34.

Blog

mtbr member
    So I bought the hg61, interested to see how it performs. With sale season coming in I need a front and rear derailer setup to keep an lookout for. Any suggestions with my crank being the raceface xc and cassette hg61 9sp?

R.I.P. DogFriend
    I have used both the HG-61 and the SRAM 990. They both work fine. The HG-61 is heavier, but if you need the bailout gear, it's worth it. If you don't feel the need for the bailout gear, Sadly, the LX CS-M580 9 speed cassettes are getting very hard to find. They were/are hell for strong and not very expensive if you shopped around.

mtbr member
    So I bought the hg61, interested to see how it performs. With sale season coming in I need a front and rear derailer setup to keep an lookout for. Any suggestions with my crank being the raceface xc and cassette hg61 9sp?

I'm a SRAM guy for shifters and rear derailluer...X7 performs quite well for the money.

Blog

ballbuster
    Honestly, I don't think there is much performance difference between cassettes these days.. apart from the weight. Even that weight barely qualifies as rotational weight since it is so inboard at the hub.

All of the cool ramp shifting assist stuff is the same, all the way back down to Deore level cassettes.

I have found that Shimano cassettes have alway lasted me longer than SRAM stuff. I think Shimano uses better quality hardened steel for their cogs.