mtbr member
    Jun 2015

Need advice on rim width selection: How wide?

I blew up my rear enve rim and canít warranty it bc I bought it used. So Iím going to get some Chinese carbon, which Iíve always had good luck with. The manufacturer Iím looking at offers a 32mm internal and a 39mm internal in the 29Ē flavor. I plan to run 2.35-2.8Ē tires (my current frame maxes out at about 2.4Ē, but my fork can handle plus). Iím really intrigued by the new 2.6Ē tires, which are said to be close in tread width to the old 2.5s but with better casing shape and a bit more volume. Maxis says their 2.6s are designed around 35mm internal. I want to have a rim that works well on my current set up but also future proof my wheel set. Current set up is an evil wreckoning with 2.5Ē dhf front and 2.35Ē dhr II rear. So should I go 32mm or 39mm internal?

Thanks for your replies.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    39 for the front and 35 for the rear based on those tires. But you can use a wider front rim if you use a higher volume more rounded profile tire like a Bonty XR Team. You can run lower pressures front and rear with the Bontys.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    It kinda depends on the bike and actual tire setup, but I'd go with 32 for sure. If you ever wanna run 2.35s or so, 39 will square the tire off way too much and the rim would have little protection. 2.8s on 32 should work just fine. And the 2.6s would actually be a very good very good fit on them.

Keep on Rockin...
    i32

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by mannyfnz View Post
    It kinda depends on the bike and actual tire setup, but I'd go with 32 for sure. If you ever wanna run 2.35s or so, 39 will square the tire off way too much and the rim would have little protection. 2.8s on 32 should work just fine. And the 2.6s would actually be a very good very good fit on them.
    Excellent advice.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Iím not going to lie I think 39i internal rims would look ba. But seems like running 2.3-2.4 tires will be problematic. Conversely 2.8 will work on 32i and be ideal for 2.4-2.6.

Thanks for your replies.

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by PurpleMtnSlayer View Post
    Iím not going to lie I think 39i internal rims would look ba. But seems like running 2.3-2.4 tires will be problematic. Conversely 2.8 will work on 32i and be ideal for 2.4-2.6.

Thanks for your replies.

For 2.4 to 2.6 ~32mm is ideal. Some would say even too wide. 39mm is 2.8 to 3.0 territory.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Don't be afraid to go narrower. Narrower rims work great so long as you are off of the Internet. I was running 2.3's on 29mm IW rims and am now on 21mm IW rims at 20psi front and rear in rocky/rooty terrain. Same pressure as with the wider rims. The 21mm IW rims have held up way better, stayed way truer, and with way fewer rim strikes than with the wider rims. Much lighter weight as well. Win/win.

Dances with horses
    Quote Originally Posted by HacksawReynolds View Post
    Don't be afraid to go narrower. Narrower rims work great so long as you are off of the Internet.
    I'm running 2.35 Hans Dampf on my XC bike with 23mm wheels. 2.25 RaRa in back.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewalk View Post
    I'm running 2.35 Hans Dampf on my XC bike with 23mm wheels. 2.25 RaRa in back.
    Nice. I'm currently running Spesh GC 2.3 gripton 2bliss. Was running Maxxis DHF EXO TR 2.3. Love both sets, but the GC rolls a bit better, is 200 grams lighter per tire and holds just as well all over the place as the DHF from my experience. So many good tires out there. I do not miss smoke, dart, psycho, or velociraptor.

29, Rubber, knobs, low pressure. Can't go wrong. Traction for days.

MTB B'dos
    If those are your only 2 options and you're more likely to stay <2.6", definitely the i32 option.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Not the only options. But I want to try the new semi-plus tires which are designed around 35i. Iíve been running good ďEnduroĒ style tires in 2.3-2.5 on 27i and 29i rims for years and they are really amazing. So Iím not saying 2.6 is better or whatever, just different and intriguing.

I also want to go cheap if Iím going with cheap Chinese rims, so that makes LIght Bicycle, Yoeleo and most of the others too pricey. That leaves Nextie, who have been really good for me in the past. Iíve built three wheel sets from them and all of them have been great (1 out of 6 failed riding DH, I got a full credit for that one). Theyíre price is right at $165-$260 depending on material, layup and age of the design. Theyíre running a holiday sale right now too, so I got both hoops with shipping to US for under $400.

Im a big fan of asymmetric rim so that limits my options, but if I remember correctly they offer 29Ē asymmetric hoops in 45i, 39i, 32i, 29i, 27i, 26.5i, 25i, 23i, 21i sizes.

I ended up buying a set of 32i asymmetric in their new ďpremiumĒ layup, which is supposed to use some higher end carbon and an improved layup.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Different trail conditions make for different tunes of rim width, tire and pressure.

For my terrain with lots of rocks and roots loose over hardpack and shorter steep ups and downs I'd pick a specific combo of rim width, tire and pressure. For a high volume rounded tire with small lower knobs to roll fast I'd go with the Nextie Crocodile NXT29CD50 with 43mm inner width in a 29. I'd try for 11-12psi front and 4-5 more for a rear if a 2.6 tire fit the frame. A rear 2.35 could go on a 35-39mm rim at 18-19psi.
    [Crocodile] Carbon Semi-Fat 27.5+ Rim 42mm Wall Hookless Tubeless Compatible
    That rim width gets me the biggest contact patch without getting rim hits at those pressures.
    And has sidewall support so no foldover crashing.

If the trails had longer downs with more speed more pressure and Cush Core inserts would be my first choice. After that bigger knobs. I doubt I'd consider a rim under 25mm for any speed or terrain. On any frame that can take a 2.6 rear that lower limit would be 35mm.

MTB B'dos
    EBB, we need to see some video of your trails and pics of your bike setups, really very curious to see all opf this if you don't mind?
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    Different trail conditions make for different tunes of rim width, tire and pressure.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by HacksawReynolds View Post
    Don't be afraid to go narrower. Narrower rims work great so long as you are off of the Internet. I was running 2.3's on 29mm IW rims and am now on 21mm IW rims
    I was running 2.4's on 15mm internal width.
    i can't believe I'm riding a bike.