mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Need advice 2009 Rockhopper Comp 29er - 1x9 or 2x9

Just picked up a never used 2009 rockhopper that I couldnt pass up.
    Everything is stock
    Shimano FC-M36108 cranks, 22/32/42 teeth
    8-speed, 11 - 32 teeth in the rear

I was looking in to going 1x8 or 1x9 but didnt realize I would need new cranks to do so.
    Would my best bet be to just drop the 42T for a bash guard and possibly change the 2 rings for a different tooth count in order to avoid swapping cranks? Is changing the cassette to a 9 speed just a matter of buying a new cassette, derailleur, and shifter or will I need a whole lot of other stuff? The local trails arent that intense and I used my middle 32T the whole time.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    All you need is a cassette, derailluer, and shifter. I did the same on my RockHopper. As far as converting to 2x9 or 1x9, I'm probably converting to 2x9 soon but I already have a crankset.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    My rear derailleur is an X5. I think it would work with 9 speed according to what I read on SRAM's site. In that case I would only need the cassette and shifter right?
    Then I could do 2 up front with a bash guard replacing the 44t.
    Whats a good gearing setup for the front and rear? Should I just step up the 32 and leave the 22?

Sorry for all the questions I'm a noob with the mtb stuff

mtbr member
    Yeah, I had the X5 on mine too and I grenaded it and had it replaced with an X9. After I got a new wheel set, I went with a Shimano HG61 9 speed cassette and X9 shifters. But yeah, I think you are right that the X5 is an 8/9 speed, so a cassette and shifter is all you need.

Up front, not sure. I'll be running 22/32 up front and my cassette is a 12-36.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I guess i can try it out and see how I like it and then change accordingly. Im coming from a bmx background so I would just ride everywhere single speed

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    You are in luck, that bike has sliding dropouts so you can easily run single speed. Get yourself a cog and spacer kit, shorten your chain and you are good to go.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ssalmons View Post
    You are in luck, that bike has sliding dropouts so you can easily run single speed. Get yourself a cog and spacer kit, shorten your chain and you are good to go.
    I dont mind the cassette in the back since I do some longer flat rides sometimes but the front is what I really wanted to convert. I was under the impression I would need need new cranks to go 1x9.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by SVTCobra03 View Post
    I dont mind the cassette in the back since I do some longer flat rides sometimes but the front is what I really wanted to convert. I was under the impression I would need need new cranks to go 1x9.
    You don't need new cranks. Just take the big ring off and replace with bash. Then take the small ring off and use some kind of chain jump stopper. There are about a hundred ways to do a set-up. Maybe check 1x9 thread in the drivetrain forum. There are a ton of examples there.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    If I can do that it would be great. I wanted to throw some sort of chain guide on there like the e13 srs but they said it wouldn't work without grinding the tabs off. Mrp said the 2x wouldn't work but I can use the lrp eevn though it would put my chain slightly off center. I may just go 2x9 with bash and call it a day. Just have to decide whether to keep the 32 or go up to a 34 or 36 and what cassette to go with

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Why not go 1X8, see how you like it. Remove the granny, large chainring, front shifter and front derailleur. Add a BBG bashwich for $24 plus shipping and you're ready to go.
    If you decide to go 1X9 later, you just need a shifter and chain.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Slash5 View Post
    Why not go 1X8, see how you like it. Remove the granny, large chainring, front shifter and front derailleur. Add a BBG bashwich for $24 plus shipping and you're ready to go.
    If you decide to go 1X9 later, you just need a shifter and chain.
    The only thing is if I go up from 32 the inner BBG would be too small right?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I have a 2x9 now:
    - removed to 42T chainring for a bashguard
    - 11-36t 9-speed cassette
    - x7 rear derailleur
    - x7 shifters

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    What kind of cassette did you go with?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Went with the Bashwich and calling it a day.
    Thanks for all the help

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    me? the only one available in a 9-speed

shimano HG-61 (my mistake, it's 12-36T)

it's not the lightest cassette.... iirc, 10-speed 36T cassettes have more choices and you can get them lighter

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tednugent View Post
    me? the only one available in a 9-speed

shimano HG-61 (my mistake, it's 12-36T)

it's not the lightest cassette.... iirc, 10-speed 36T cassettes have more choices and you can get them lighter

Yeah they do that so they will encourage you to upgrade everything to 10spd.

I just bought my hg61 36t - it weight 425grams so not light but lighter then the hg31 that came off it!

IMO the 36t with a 32t up front is PERFECT for 29ers.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Right now I'm leaving it 1x8 and going to ride and see. Had it out today and it seemed fine. Bashwich should be here next week.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Installed my bashwich setup today and took off the other parts. Rubs a little on the inside but overall I like the setup. Im undecided on whether Ill pull it back off and grind it down or just let it bend on its own.