mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Narrow my wheelset choices

I have a 2012 GT Karakoram 2.0 and I have determined I need to upgrade the wheelset and fork. I am looking for wheelset first (has to convert from 9qr for now and 15mm for later fork upgrade).

I am looking at the following 3 sets:
    2012 Easton Havon (magnesium color)
    Spank Oozy Evo (silver color)
    CrankBrothers Iodine 2

All can be had for $500 +-$50, all have 21-21.5mm inner rim width, and similar 1750-1850g weights. I am 225lbs plus gear but dont ride too hard. Any reason for one over another? or other options?

Carbon & Ti rule
    I would give them all a miss & get something like some Flow EX rims with Hope Pro 2 Evo hubs.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    I would give them all a miss & get something like some Flow EX rims with Hope Pro 2 Evo hubs.
    Me too...

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009

Don't waste time with any proprietary stuff. Stan's Flow EX all the way! I'd even take the stock Stan's hubs over the stock hubs on those wheelsets listed. Make sure if you go the Stan's route double check with them and get the right front hub for your future upgraded fork. I'm pretty sure the normal front hub will work. The 3.30HD hub is only needed if you want to go up to a 20mm thru axle...I THINK. Don't quote me on it. You really only "need" to upgrade the rear hub to a Hope, if you can afford it. The front Stan's hub is plenty adequate, just not necessarily as blingy as a Hope. It's easily rebuildable and adaptable to your needs. And lightweight...

In the $500ish price range, Stan's owns

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I know everyone seems to say stans and i know their good, but anyone actually have experience with the options i mentioned? if so how are they, how do they compare etc.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The most critical part of a wheelset is the rear hub engagement mechanicals. I like Dt star 36 ratchets, 340, 350, 240 or oem versions off ebay. ArchhEx rims, SuperComp spokes with brass nips. Novatec D711 front hub is light at 139g and has changeable end caps. You can lace these together at or under your price point. Easy with a Park TM-1. Another step.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by Danimoth17 View Post
    I know everyone seems to say stans and i know their good, but anyone actually have experience with the options i mentioned? if so how are they, how do they compare etc.
    They are not good, Some would say they are Rubbish.

Stick to something that is known to be good or you will be back here in 3 months looking to upgrade your wheels.

mtbr member
    Stans is known to be good. CB...not so much. Also worthy of consideration is the WTB i19 or i23 hoops. Been running Hopes laced to i23 rims with DT comp spokes for over a year now with great success.

Check out the factory wheel builds through Chain Reaction. They have some great prices on various Stans rims laced to Hopes as well as some other combos.
    Signature

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Bailey44 View Post
    Me too...
    Me three. Just ordered a set of Flow Exs w Hope Pro 2 Evo's from Merlin Cycles for $360 - shipping to US included!!! It looks like they are out of stock now but a quick email is all it would take to see when stock is expected. They have been great in promptly answering my questions thus far. I'll update when they come in but I could not pass this deal up.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    My weight and riding style is similar to yours. I've had the Haven wheelset about a year, and with the exception of 2 broken spokes, they've proven to be very stout set. There have been negative past reviews on Havens, but I've not had hub issues and prefer a UST over the non UST. Tire install is painless, haven't had any burping issues at 22-25# front/30-35# rear pressure
    If you do go with Easton, recommend ordering a handful of nipples as they are the proprietary issue. Most shops will have straight pull spokes, but rare a shop will have the double threaded Easton nipples.

mtbr member

The havens are a solid choice, but my number one in Stan's Flows! Damn near bulletproof.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    2013 Rockhopper 29- The hot rod fun bike
    2013 Stumpy HT Comp 29- The racin' machine

Prime
    I'd take WTB Frequencies over Stans, I've had both, when the i25's are released I'll be swapping out my Flow EX's. Add a pair of DTSwiss 350 or Hope hubs and you can have a pretty nice wheelset for your $500, providing you build them yourself. You don't even need a truing stand, your bike and some creatively used popsicle sticks and rubber bands will do the trick. And a spoke wrench.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I have a set eastons on one bike and they have been good wheels but nothing special. For my new bike I went hope hubs with stans archs that I bought from merlin for under 500 shipped in there custom series and they are so much nicer than my eastons or the dt swisses on my fiances bike.