mtbr member
    Jul 2012

my tire selection

saved enough for tire upgrade. just as i thought i was good with my choice

SCHWALBE HANS DAMF front and RR's 2.2 on the rear, and ready to buy, i come across not so good reviews here on MTBR! and i thought ive read good things on threads posted here..

so this kinda made me re-think again and would be asking for your guys' opinion.

my current wheelset is doing fine for me but i think it will not/is not holding up to my riding style (or lack thereof, more description below) so im predicting it wont last long with how i just roll over things. so i thought of this upgrade choice.

• i ride for leisure (do not/will not compete)
    • i ride frequently here
    • == Stony Creek Metro Park Mountain Bike Trail in Rochester, Michigan || SINGLETRACKS.COM
    • id like to say i still lack the MTB skills to go through the above trail with finesse that i just, from what i understand and how i evaluate myself, BARREL through my path... so i guess durable tires is needed with my kind of riding style (for lack of a better term)
    • im planning to save up next for ZTR FLOW EX's (barring i read negative review from MTBR)

those are the only things i can remember that you guys would probably want to know.

also, should you guys think this is a poor choice of an upgrade im open to suggestions.

also, has anyone shopped here:

Tires, 29" Bicycle Tires @ eBikeStop.com - The online supplier for all your cycling needs...

they seem to have good prices..
    Last edited by bapski; 10-16-2012 at 01:05 PM. Reason: added shop site
    2014 TREK FARLEY
    2013 TREK RUMBLEFISH PRO
    2012 TREK SUPERFLY AL ELITE

mtbr member
    The Hans Dampf is an aggressive, high volume tire which most would consider durable. The RR in back is a racing tire, meant to be light and fast, not so much durable. Kind of an odd mix. But it doesn't matter that much. Ride them into the ground, see how it works out for you.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Gasp4Air View Post
    The Hans Dampf is an aggressive, high volume tire which most would consider durable. The RR in back is a racing tire, meant to be light and fast, not so much durable. Kind of an odd mix. But it doesn't matter that much. Ride them into the ground, see how it works out for you.
    most of WHAT TIRE threads ive read suggests bigger (2.35) up front for climbing and smaller (2.2) on the rear for better rolling..

in my case im putting in a 2.25 on my rear because am not really sure if a 2.35 will fit...
    2014 TREK FARLEY
    2013 TREK RUMBLEFISH PRO

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bapski View Post

SCHWALBE HANS DAMF front and RR's 2.2 on the rear, and ready to buy, i come across not so good reviews here on MTBR! and i thought ive read good things on threads posted here..

so this kinda made me re-think again and would be asking for your guys' opinion.

my current wheelset is doing fine for me but i think it will not/is not holding up to my riding style (or lack thereof, more description below) so im predicting it wont last long with how i just roll over things. so i thought of this upgrade choice.

• i ride for leisure (do not/will not compete)
    • i ride frequently here
    • == Stony Creek Metro Park Mountain Bike Trail in Rochester, Michigan || SINGLETRACKS.COM
    • id like to say i still lack the MTB skills to go through the above trail with finesse that i just, from what i understand and how i evaluate myself, BARREL through my path... so i guess durable tires is needed with my kind of riding style (for lack of a better term)
    • im planning to save up next for ZTR FLOW EX's (barring i read negative review from MTBR)

those are the only things i can remember that you guys would probably want to know.

also, should you guys think this is a poor choice of an upgrade im open to suggestions.
    Once any tire has been out for a year, you will have no problems finding some negative reviews of it if you look around. Tires are so much a matter of personal preference.

If you get the snakeskin version of the RR, it can hold up OK for most riding. They are great for a super fast tire, but like any super fast tire, there is not a whole lot of tread there. It all depends how fast you want the rear end to be. I have a 2.25 RR Snakeskin on the rear of a Bike with a Nevegal up front (sort of by accident). I actually kind of like it. Low rolling resistance where it matters the most, and good grip up front.

I think a more typical pairing with the HD up front would be a Nobby Nic in the the rear if you want something a little faster than the HD.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    most of WHAT TIRE threads ive read suggests bigger (2.35) up front for climbing and smaller (2.2) on the rear for better rolling..

in my case im putting in a 2.25 on my rear because am not really sure if a 2.35 will fit...
    My comment wan't based on the width of the RR, but its weight. It has thin sidewalls and light tread. As I said, it's built for speed, not durability or bite. It's true that many riders put the bigger tire up front for increased braking and control. But if durability is a concern, there are better 2.2" choices than the RR for the back.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Gasp4Air View Post
    My comment wan't based on the width of the RR, but its weight. It has thin sidewalls and light tread. As I said, it's built for speed, not durability or bite. It's true that many riders put the bigger tire up front for increased braking and control. But if durability is a concern, there are better 2.2" choices than the RR for the back.
    any suggestions?
    2014 TREK FARLEY
    2013 TREK RUMBLEFISH PRO

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta View Post
    Once any tire has been out for a year, you will have no problems finding some negative reviews of it if you look around. Tires are so much a matter of personal preference.

If you get the snakeskin version of the RR, it can hold up OK for most riding. They are great for a super fast tire, but like any super fast tire, there is not a whole lot of tread there. It all depends how fast you want the rear end to be. I have a 2.25 RR Snakeskin on the rear of a Bike with a Nevegal up front (sort of by accident). I actually kind of like it. Low rolling resistance where it matters the most, and good grip up front.

I think a more typical pairing with the HD up front would be a Nobby Nic in the the rear if you want something a little faster than the HD.
    so you are suggesting HD front NN rear?
    2014 TREK FARLEY
    2013 TREK RUMBLEFISH PRO

Lucky...
    Apr 2008
    I'm running a Hans Damf on the front and a Nobby Nik on the rear of my Yeti SB-95 and really like the combo. Durable, with great, predictable cornering. Have also run the NN on the front with a RaRa on the rear. Also a good combo, but I was only getting 200-250 miles out of the RaRa.
    Yeti SB-95a Black

mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Tires, 29" Bicycle Tires @ eBikeStop.com - The online supplier for all your cycling needs...

2014 TREK FARLEY
    2013 TREK RUMBLEFISH PRO

ready to ride
    Never ridden in MI so hard for me to comment on what tires would work well there. I found a video of the trail you mentioned and it looks like what I would consider hardpack to medium soil. Which is similar to what we have on a lot of our trails in WNC. I'd say your soil is a bit more loamy or soft.

I haven't tried the HD yet but its on my list, and I am still in search for "my" perfect setup. Which I think is really two different setups. One for Fall and Winter when there are a lot of leaves on the ground. For this setup I want something more aggressive that can cut through the leaves and not wash out. Another for Spring and Summer or once the leaves have cleared. This setup something that is still grippy and won't wash out but less rolling resistance.

I just put on a new combination for me on for Fall/Winter. I have a Panaracer Rampage 2.35 up front and a Maxxis Ignitor EXO 2.1 in the back. I put 26 miles on them Saturday at DuPont State Forest which has a little bit of everything. Hardpack, loose, roots, sand, rock gardens, granite, slickrock. I can say they handled great in all conditions. I was pushing them in the corners and even some sections with some very loose dirt and sand. I had the front washout in some sand, but it immediately gained traction and I leaned into the turn. FWIW I think any tire would have given some in this turn given the loose conditions. My only complaint is I felt like I was riding with a flat tire all day. I think that was in part that I did a fairly long ride Friday night, and also the rear turned out to be about 8 PSI lower than I though it was when I checked it the following day. So the jury is still out on this setup, but other than a bit slower I like both tires and they seem very solid..

For my Spring/Summer I have been real happy with a Maxxis Crossmark in the back and Weirwolf LT Race up front. Both hold well in most of my conditions and are relatively fast tires for their designs. They are also tough, both have taken the abuse of WNC Pisgah trails for a season and still have more left in them.

I think I am going to give the Ignitors a try up front with the Crossmarks in the back. While the Ignitors are a bit more narrow than I normally like up front I think their tread will do well and they may roll fast.

Sorry for my little review, just saying what I have found that is working for "me" I think you will probably be happy with the HD up front but you may find it slower than some setups. Always a trade off.

FWIW my second Fall/Winter or Aggressive setup would have been the HD front /NN rear. Might still give them a try.

Just a comment about you thinking your current wheelset won't hold up. Curious why do you think that? I think you will find you might tweak any wheel set if you take a bad line or land poorly on them. Usually nothing that can't be trued. Unless of course you are a clyde then you may want to consider something more stout. I too am thinking about getting another wheelset. Mainly to drop some weight, and be able to run UST tires. For me the WTB i19s or i23s are a bit more attractive because you can run UST tires and not have to do the Stans ghetto tubeless solution. That and they have been getting pretty good reviews..

I haven't used ebike stop but I have had jenson price match them. The only reason I went with jenson was because they had another component I wanted that ebike stop didn't. I am sure they are fine though, and they do have some attractive prices on their tires.

Cheers

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mattnmtns View Post

Just a comment about you thinking your current wheelset won't hold up. Curious why do you think that? I think you will find you might tweak any wheel set if you take a bad line or land poorly on them. Usually nothing that can't be trued. Unless of course you are a clyde then you may want to consider something more stout. I too am thinking about getting another wheelset. Mainly to drop some weight, and be able to run UST tires. For me the WTB i19s or i23s are a bit more attractive because you can run UST tires and not have to do the Stans ghetto tubeless solution. That and they have been getting pretty good reviews..

I haven't used ebike stop but I have had jenson price match them. The only reason I went with jenson was because they had another component I wanted that ebike stop didn't. I am sure they are fine though, and they do have some attractive prices on their tires.

Cheers
    i just think it wont hold up since new as i am into MTB i dont think im skillful enough to properly look/pick "LINES" that if usually one would go around a rut/root/rock, id probably just run over it, just saying im not able to look ahead skillfully yet, i think.

ive also looked at those WTB wheelsets but think ive read they only take proprietary parts(?) am not sure which specifically but ill try to look it up again.

jenson is quite popular and nice to know they pricematch. ill probably go by them as ive read a lot of guys getting stuff from them once i decide which tires to get.

thanks mate.
    2014 TREK FARLEY
    2013 TREK RUMBLEFISH PRO

change is good
    Sep 2004
    I weigh 230lb and the SS RR didn't fare so well in rock gardens. It kept burping on my ENVE rim. Any more pressure then I'm pinging off rocks. The TNT tires don't burp and rarely flat but are heavy and they don't like Stan's rims. My X-King burped some too going over the rocks but maintained pressure. The burping may be less of an issue with Stan's rims. FWIW, I like the new Bonty 29-3 I have on the front.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The tire for the technical loop at Stony, which is called Rollercoaster-Snake I use is RaRa Performance on ArchEX rims-- front 18-23psi and rear 20-25. The back is wearing out after 300+ circuits. It"s dry hardpack with round rocks and roots It tears the side knobs on the Evo compound tires. The HansD is heavy and slow and overkill. For a little more aggressive thread you might try a Rocket Ron 2013 Performance 29x2.25. Schwalbe improved it to roll 15% faster for 2013. It also weighs less at 570g vs 610 for the RaRa Perf. and may be less durable. It coulb make a good front tire. It's the new dual compound. Not yet out there.
    Schwalbe 29x2.25 Racing Ralph Perf Dual Compound
    This is the 2013 dual compound version which may improve grip. $32.81.
    I also buy from these guys for price-- if you put together a larger order.
    Bike24, Bikecomponents.de

TreeFortBikes in Ypsi has stock on the Racing Ralph Performance 29x2.25. They price match CycleClub for 32.81.
    Last edited by eb1888; 10-17-2012 at 07:48 AM.

ready to ride
    i just think it wont hold up since new as i am into MTB i dont think im skillful enough to properly look/pick "LINES" that if usually one would go around a rut/root/rock, id probably just run over it, just saying im not able to look ahead skillfully yet, i think.

ive also looked at those WTB wheelsets but think ive read they only take proprietary parts(?) am not sure which specifically but ill try to look it up again.

jenson is quite popular and nice to know they pricematch. ill probably go by them as ive read a lot of guys getting stuff from them once i decide which tires to get.

thanks mate.
    Unless you are looking for some specific gain i.e. less weight, more points of engagement, then I would say ride them until they wear out. What you have is only about 20g lighter in the rims, might be able to save some weight in the hubs, That said I wouldn't worry too much about upgrading to flows just "because" they can "take more".

I know very little about MI trails, so I may be wrong here. From what I have seen though a good XC setup should be ample to handle the trails you are riding. Even as a beginner you shouldn't destroy your current wheel set unless really abuse them and you are a good bit over 200 pounds. I'd ride them for a while and see how they work for you.

Regarding the WTB, nothing proprietary about the rims other than they taught TCS which is really the UST standard as I understand. Someone please correct me if I am wrong. From what I understand they supposedly run TCS/UST tires better than Stans. Where as Stans "may" run standard tubed tires tubeless better. No personal experience with the WTB rims, but I am seriously considering a i23 upfront, and an i19 in the rear laced to some hopes.

Cheers to obsessing about bike parts

PS if you end up not liking the HD let me know I might have a tire to trade with you.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mattnmtns View Post
    Unless you are looking for some specific gain i.e. less weight, more points of engagement, then I would say ride them until they wear out. What you have is only about 20g lighter in the rims, might be able to save some weight in the hubs, That said I wouldn't worry too much about upgrading to flows just "because" they can "take more".

I know very little about MI trails, so I may be wrong here. From what I have seen though a good XC setup should be ample to handle the trails you are riding. Even as a beginner you shouldn't destroy your current wheel set unless really abuse them and you are a good bit over 200 pounds. I'd ride them for a while and see how they work for you.

Regarding the WTB, nothing proprietary about the rims other than they taught TCS which is really the UST standard as I understand. Someone please correct me if I am wrong. From what I understand they supposedly run TCS/UST tires better than Stans. Where as Stans "may" run standard tubed tires tubeless better. No personal experience with the WTB rims, but I am seriously considering a i23 upfront, and an i19 in the rear laced to some hopes.

Cheers to obsessing about bike parts

PS if you end up not liking the HD let me know I might have a tire to trade with you.
    i read up wheelset reviews again last night and i think i meant MAVICs that only take proprietary stuff and not WTB...

obsessing about bike parts? lol... guess, not having my bike right now diverts my attention to the refresh button on these forum....

but seriously, why im thinking my current wheelset is not holding up is because ive had them trued once already and i think they're not durable/sturdy/stiff(?) enough?

pm sent.
    2014 TREK FARLEY
    2013 TREK RUMBLEFISH PRO

Rod
    Endorphin Junkie
    i read up wheelset reviews again last night and i think i meant MAVICs that only take proprietary stuff and not WTB...

obsessing about bike parts? lol... guess, not having my bike right now diverts my attention to the refresh button on these forum....

but seriously, why im thinking my current wheelset is not holding up is because ive had them trued once already and i think they're not durable/sturdy/stiff(?) enough?

pm sent.
    I wouldn't worry about that unless you have to get them trued a couple more times. It is normal for them to need trued once after you start riding your bike. Ride them, save money (just in case), and enjoy man
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

Rod
    Endorphin Junkie

I want to specifically talk about this. The reviews here can be a great resource and they can also mislead you on certain topics. If you were shopping for a headset or set of handlebars you wouldn't need to worry, but when it comes to tires there are a lot of variables at play. Everyone looks for different things in tires, they ride in very different terrain, if they have the tires mounted on the front or back, and their bike handling skills all play a role in their tire reviews.

Here are a couple of examples to provide some clarity.

If someone bought a bike with Racing Ralphs on the front and back who hasn't ridden much before they would say the tire provides no grip, slides out, and it is scary, but super fast. (You see a lot of these on fast/racing tires)

If a user rode in sharp rocks the tire wouldn't be durable. (prone to cuts)

If they ran it with tubes it would be prone to flats from thorns (not durable.)

If they were looking for speed, someone like an xc racer, bought the correct tire (durability), and set up the air pressure properly then it is an amazing tire. In other words if someone buys the tire and uses it the way it was designed, most tires do well. I know these do. The RaRa provides a lot of grip, great volume, and rolls super fast if that is what you're looking for. If you want a tire that will last forever this won't be it.
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    The tire for the technical loop at Stony, which is called Rollercoaster-Snake I use is RaRa Performance on ArchEX rims-- front 18-23psi and rear 20-25. The back is wearing out after 300+ circuits. It"s dry hardpack with round rocks and roots It tears the side knobs on the Evo compound tires. The HansD is heavy and slow and overkill. For a little more aggressive thread you might try a Rocket Ron 2013 Performance 29x2.25. Schwalbe improved it to roll 15% faster for 2013. It also weighs less at 570g vs 610 for the RaRa Perf. and may be less durable. It coulb make a good front tire. It's the new dual compound. Not yet out..
    Schwalbe NA says the Rocket will be available late November to December. It is built on the same carcass as the Racing Ralph Performance. It weighs less because of more tread block space. They say the dual compound is a little softer than the ORC compound of 2012. Grip should improve with only a small change in durability. So for me, this seems a good front tire with the RaRa as the back The back will wear a little faster than this year but still not as fast as an Evo tire. List price is the same.

I'm with stupid

Yeah its a good place, no worry about anything there.