Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Mtb shoe

4K views 40 replies 25 participants last post by  needajob 
#1 ·
i know this isn't the correct spot for this question. I am in the market for new mtb Shoes i just ordered the Giro Guage but they are to small. I am trying to get some feed back from everyone on the best most comfortable shoe around the $200 mark??

Any help would greatly be appreciated.

#4 ·
Shoes are really difficult to buy. You can't really get a feel for them by walking around in a store because you're buying them for pedaling and not walking. If you put cleats on it leaves marks on the sole of the shoe making them unreturnable. Your best bet is to just try one out and see how it goes. At $200 you'll be getting a pretty good shoe. I personally like the Specialized line of shoes. The different inserts for different arch heights are a nice touch.

#5 ·
I love my Sidis. I got some Dominator4s on close out about 10 years ago. They're still going strong. I had the local shoe repair guy put some new Velcro on them about 5 years ago for $20. Apart from the worn plastic soles, they still look and feel new.

I'd say look out for a set of Sidis on sale or something.... Or some used, near new ones.

#7 ·
I bought some Specialized Rime a couple of weeks ago and I have been happy with them. They have the vibram soles so good if you need to hop off and walk a little.They have the breathable material so not really much break in period and they are already comfortable. I also have a pair of the Giro Gauge on the way. Got them for $109 at Jenson. They had 2011 pair left and they were my size so I couldn't resist. If I don't like them I will sell them and probably make a couple of bucks.

#13 ·
This. The Rime is the best shoe I've had so far. Not for fit - it's an average fit for me, or for comfort - they're not noticeably more comfortable than other shoes I've had, but for the whole package of fit, comfort AND the Vibram soles that make them extremely capable when you have to climb over rocks or carry your bike over rough stuff.

And, since they're actual rubber and not hard plastic, they don't slip when it's wet out.

#9 ·
Dude, lots of differnt types of spd shoes. Decide if you want a tight fitting hard soled race shoe. A lose soft soled free ride cleat. Cycle cross..... laces, velcro . Mavic has a cool method of tightening with a knob and wire....

Be carfull cause in the 200 dollar range you may end up with a super stiff race shoe that hurts your feet.

Id recomend Giro privaters.

#17 ·
Another vote for the specialized rime shoes. Stiff yet very comfortable, and super grippy for walking on granite slabs, and rocky hike & bike sections. One minor complaint is they are quite vented, so carry extra pair of socks for wet rides and wear warm socks for cooler rides.

#20 ·
I just retired the $35 Shimano shoes I bought in 1998. Countless lace and insole replacements... just about worn out. I figure they had a conservative 30,000 miles on them.

You can't switch brands after that kind of success. I got the Shimano MT43 for around $70. Boy howdy, SPD shoes have come a long way in 15 years :lol:

I was looking for a sole that wasn't super stiff...trail friendly, and grocery store friendly when touring kind of shoe. These seem to be perfect. I won't know for sure until I put 10,000 miles or so on them :)

If I had $200 to spend on shoes, I'd get these again, and spend $130 on new tires, chain, and cassette :lol:

#27 ·
I've been using shimano MT52's for a few years now. The lastest version of these shoes is MT53. I switched from the conventional, super hard sole mtb shoes and have never looked back. If you ride trails with sections of HAB these are the shoes for you. SPB compatable, rubber sole with plenty of traction on slickrock, no too stiff so walking is comfortable.
Product Shoe White Costume accessory Black

#29 ·
Time will tell for my rimes. My riding area has alot of granite, and that tears shoes up fast. So far they have been holding up great. If I get 3 to 4 years out of them then its worth every penny. One minor complaint is maybe just a tad stiffer, but im used to the carbon sole of my old pearl izumi shoes.

#37 ·
Get two pairs

Shimano MW80/81 fully waterproof which make ridding in poor weather a delight (nice and grippy for walking in the mud to)

And for summer / non raining weather some Specialized Tahoes (I have a pair that are 4 years old and gone through loads of cleats and are like new!

Pretty much what everyone on here has said and yes Shimano are sized small, if you read their blurb their uk sizes are actually 0.5 smaller but get rounded up for some reason so get a size bigger or two if you want to wear big winter socks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.