Thread: MRP Stage

AOK
    mtbr member

MRP Stage

I received my new MRP Stage 29 fork tonight and thought I would start a post to share my experience since there isn't a lot of info out there on this fork.

Full disclosure - this is my 2nd Stage. I bought one last month to use with my Krampus as it is one of the few (only?) forks out there with decent clearance for a 29+ tire on a wide rim. Due to the lousy weather to start 2015, I have only a handful of rides on the 29+ Stage. Initial impressions have been positive and I have spent many minutes on the Krampus thinking "man would I like to try this fork on my FS bike".

So time to see what's in the box...

MRP Stage-img_3859.jpg

MRP Stage-img_3860.jpg

Fit and finish are very nice. Right up there with anything from Fox or Rock Shox, and better than the X-Fusion Trace I owned. Good feel on the knobs, solid chassis, everything looks great. It just feels like a quality product.

MRP Stage-img_3861.jpg

Quick start card with some initial setup suggestions

MRP Stage-img_3862.jpg

Every Stage is individually dyno tested and signed by the person who ran the tests.

MRP Stage-img_3863.jpg

I love that they include little packs with travel spacers and instructions on how to change travel. This gives you what you need to do the job right down to a pack of grease and replacement o-rings. Nice touch! The fork is adjustable between 120-150mm in 10mm increments by changing the internal spacers. For now, I have mine at 120mm.

MRP Stage-img_3865.jpg

Top mounted adjustments - ramp control on the left and compression on the right. Rebound damping knob is on the bottom of the right leg. The valve to add air is on the bottom of the left leg. There is a button in the middle of the ramp control knob to bleed air pressure. Bleeding from the top prevents any oil from spewing onto your rotor when you want to let air out with the fringe benefit of allowing an easy way to bleed a small amount of air on the fly.

MRP Stage-img_3866.jpg

Sticker on the back of the right leg showing how many clicks of adjustment are available on the various knobs. It is a small thing, but another nice touch IMO.

MRP Stage-img_3867.jpg

All mounted up and ready to ride. Initial impression from ripping around the backyard were very positive. Very supple feel over small bumps and a nice controlled no-dive feeling over the one or two bigger hits I charged into. I will post up first impressions once I have some saddle time on a real trail.

MRP Stage-img_3868.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    This one of the best forks I've ridden in a long time. MRP really hit the mark.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    can you post a pic of the tire clearance on the krampus?

AOK
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtndude23 View Post
    This one of the best forks I've ridden in a long time. MRP really hit the mark.
    Totally agree after one ride on my Phantom + Stage. Really impressed.

AOK
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Coleman22 View Post
    can you post a pic of the tire clearance on the krampus?
    MRP Stage-img_3872.jpg

MRP Stage-img_3873.jpg

MRP Stage-img_3874.jpg

MRP Stage-img_3875.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    is it just the angle but that 3rd picture down of the side knobs looks super tight?

AOK
    mtbr member

MRP Stage

It is tighter there due to the bulge where the seals are, but not as tight as the pic indicates. I didn't measure today but when I did previously I think I measured about 3mm of clearance in that area. I can say that the Stage has more clearance all around than the Pike (modified) or F34 (unmodified) that I have tried on the same wheel.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I'd be very interested to hear what you think of the high speed compression damping. I'm sure low speed is supple based on an around rhe block feel but I'm curious about high speed movement of the fork.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I really like the trail performance of the two White Brothers sus forks I own, but they both have had to go back to WB/MRP for one anomaly or another. One of them twice, including having my LBS try to fix it first (at the request of MRP, which cost me a seal kit and labor on a fork with very few hours on it). MRP said there were two spacers stacked together where a single spacer was supposed to be, and insinuated that my shop did that. Only WB had worked on this fork previous to my LBS.

I like to champion the underdog, but these inconveniences effectively eliminated the Stage as a contender for my recent fork purchase.

AOK
    mtbr member

MRP Stage

I had a Loop a few years ago and can say that while the Stage is similar, it does seem more refined than the WB-branded forks. Refined both in fit / finish / knob feel and also in suspension performance.

Having said that, I never had any issues with my Loop over about a year of riding.

Time will tell how the Stage holds up. Hopefully I don't have any issues.

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Quote Originally Posted by She&I View Post
    I like to champion the underdog, but these inconveniences effectively eliminated the Stage as a contender for my recent fork purchase.
    Very sorry to hear that, I'm disappointed that we've lost your confidence. As well, I'm sorry if you felt anyone on our end shifted blame. Contact me if there is anything that can be done to rectify the situation.

FWIW, the latest fork models are miles ahead in performance vs. the WB stuff. That's not to sell the WB stuff short, but in the last few years we've made a huge investment in R&D and production methods. This includes dyno-verification of every fork that goes out the door, and we're very particular with our performance expectations.

Cheers, happy trails!
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP
    TECH QUESTIONS HERE: INFO@MRPBIKE.COM

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NoahColorado View Post
    ...FWIW, the latest fork models are miles ahead in performance vs. the WB stuff. That's not to sell the WB stuff short, but in the last few years we've made a huge investment in R&D and production methods. This includes dyno-verification of every fork that goes out the door, and we're very particular with our performance expectations.

Cheers, happy trails!
    Truthfully though, it would be pretty tough to make a worse performing fork than the old White Brothers Fluid forks.

And I'm definitely not suggesting that the new MRP stuff is lacking in performance whatsoever.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by NoahColorado View Post
    Very sorry to hear that, I'm disappointed that we've lost your confidence. As well, I'm sorry if you felt anyone on our end shifted blame. Contact me if there is anything that can be done to rectify the situation.

FWIW, the latest fork models are miles ahead in performance vs. the WB stuff. That's not to sell the WB stuff short, but in the last few years we've made a huge investment in R&D and production methods. This includes dyno-verification of every fork that goes out the door, and we're very particular with our performance expectations.

Cheers, happy trails!
    Noah, sorry for the delay in my reply.

I appreciate your response here as well as your presence on MTBR. Thanks for wanting to iron things out; it's been resolved and both our WB forks are being happily ridden.

Glad to hear MRP is pushing ahead. I hope to try some of the new gear sometime. Cheers...

Mike

AOK
    mtbr member
    A few more rides under my belt and I am liking the Stage more and more. I think I have things dialed in to my liking now. The ramp control feature works as advertised. It is nice to have some additional tunability.

This is one of those forks that gets the highest compliment -- you hardly notice it is there. It just goes about it's business sucking up the bumps and keeping you in control.

Even the Q-Taper axle is improved. When I had a Loop a few years back it was a minor annoyance. Tightening the axle always seemed to be finicky and you had to give the tire a whack to break everything loose before you removed the axle. The axle on the Stage uses the same system, but no whack to remove and it seems to even be easier to install (I think maybe they fixed the drive side nut to have a little more tension so it doesn't rotate so freely when you spin the axle).

All in all very happy with my purchase.

MRP Stage-img_3869.jpg