mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Moving from from 3x10 to 1x10?

I currently have an XT cassette and XT crank....I find my self only using the middle selector of my left shifter and all of the selectors on the right shifter....can't I get a 1x10 and tweak as needed? Would that involve a whole new crank or would I just pull two off of the current crank and not install a front D?

mtbr member
    Just take off the outer rings and lose the front derailleur like ya said. You may need new chainring bolts and a chain guide if you don't want to use your front der. as a guide.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Exactly. You need single speed chainring bolts. Also, remove the front derailleur cable and use the limit screws to adjust the cage to keep the chain on. Then lower down the derailleur about 1-2mm from the chainring.

mtbr member
    Or use a single speed chainring with no front derailleur. I'm currently running a 1x9 setup with no issues.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    e13 makes several great chainguides add one of those to a singlespeed ring and you're all good.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bike21 View Post
    Or use a single speed chainring with no front derailleur. I'm currently running a 1x9 setup with no issues.
    It depends on the crank spacing as well; I run a renthal SS chain ring on the inner side of a Stylo crank, but was still dropping the chain in my granny gear. MRP solved that for me.

mtbr member
    Remove the rings, get the shorter chainring bolts, and an e13 chainguide. Done.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Would I have to change the front shifter or just leave it alone and never shift it? Actually, I could just remove it right? Would I lose much weight going from 3x10 to 1x10?

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ddublu View Post
    Would I have to change the front shifter or just leave it alone and never shift it? Actually, I could just remove it right? Would I lose much weight going from 3x10 to 1x10?
    About 300-400 g less weight.
    If yo dont't want an ugly chain guide in the front use the new 10x Shimano ZEE rear derailleur, which has Shadow+ *and* an extremly short cage - in combination with a SSP chainring in front you won't loose your chain even without a chainguide

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by DerBergschreck View Post
    About 300-400 g less weight.
    If yo dont't want an ugly chain guide in the front use the new 10x Shimano ZEE rear derailleur, which has Shadow+ *and* an extremly short cage - in combination with a SSP chainring in front you won't loose your chain even without a chainguide
    So lose my current XT rear D in place of the Zee option, huh. I notice they come in short and mid - go with short, huh?......interesting...Thanks....lastly, just count the number of teeth that I have on my middle ring and that's the ring I want to get? May just end up losing the XT crank and going with a RaceFace SS front and BB.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    So if I understand correctly.....I would need a front chain ring like this - RaceFace Turbine 32t x 104mm Chainring 10 speed Black

I assume I could use my XT crank arms. Could I put these crank bolts on? - KCNC Chainring Crank Bolt Screw Shimano Bicycle Green | eBay

Keep the same XT BB?

mtbr member
    If I remove 2 chainrings from a 3x10 crankset, can I use my existing chain?

Is a bashguard needed to protect the remaining chainring? I only use my middle ring and let the biggest ring take some dings when going over logs.

What about a chain guide? I would be removing the front derailer and would use something similar to the MRP 1x.
    This seems like a reasonable DIY conversion that wouldn't require a new crankset.

mtbr member
    Before going SS 4 years ago, I was using XT or X9 grade parts, from racing days. A few weeks ago, I decided to put a derailleur back on one of my bikes, because that one is becoming a loaner bike for my friends who don't have one and want to ride with me. Didn't want to spend too much so decided to try the new Zee. I have been extremely surprised by how well it performs. My set-up is 1X10 with 32 in front with 11-32 in the back. Zee derailleur (short cage), zee shifter (superb) SLX cassette and chain. Flawless so far and no chainslap. Been using it without a chainguard, zero issues.

Johnnydrz

Envoyé de mon iPad à l'aide de Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ddublu View Post
    So lose my current XT rear D in place of the Zee option, huh. I notice they come in short and mid - go with short, huh?......interesting...Thanks....lastly, just count the number of teeth that I have on my middle ring and that's the ring I want to get? May just end up losing the XT crank and going with a RaceFace SS front and BB.
    ZEE is always short cage, but there are two different versions for biggest ring is 28 or 32/36 teeth.

Mid ring ist mostly 32t - so take a 32t SSP Surly ring. If it is worn out just turn it around and ride the same amount on the other side

If XT crank is triple no new crank will be necessary. Just fix the one ring in the middle position and the chainline will be right.

One more thing: you need some shorter screws (e.g. for SSP usage), because you only fix one chainring and not two.

When you finished it will look like this:

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I'm pretty stoked....think I am going with a Limited Raceface crankset/BB....can't decide whether or not to replace my XT Rear D with the Zee though.....will it really make a big difference in chain slap over jumps and bumps or is there a way to shorten the XT rear D?

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Subscribed. I'll be interested in what you end up with.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    all i did was get a N stop chain guide 10 dollars then got a bbg bashguard 18 dollars. then just removed the little ring and the big ring put the bashguard on. dont have a single problem and i removed all the shifter and front del

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

surly

Will a Surly front 32t chainring work with a 10spd chain?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnydrz View Post
    Before going SS 4 years ago, I was using XT or X9 grade parts, from racing days. A few weeks ago, I decided to put a derailleur back on one of my bikes, because that one is becoming a loaner bike for my friends who don't have one and want to ride with me. Didn't want to spend too much so decided to try the new Zee. I have been extremely surprised by how well it performs. My set-up is 1X10 with 32 in front with 11-32 in the back. Zee derailleur (short cage), zee shifter (superb) SLX cassette and chain. Flawless so far and no chainslap. Been using it without a chainguard, zero issues.

Johnnydrz

Envoyé de mon iPad à l'aide de Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdog100 View Post
    Will a Surly front 32t chainring work with a 10spd chain?
    My guess is not likely or at least it won't perform well. Most SS specific components utilize thicker widths. 8/9 speed chain will be no problem though.

If you already have a 10 spd chain you hope to use I would check Surly's website to see what they say.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Yea it didnt work. Had to put the xtr 32t ring back on crank

hold my beer & watch this
    Jan 2007
    I changed my bike to a 1x10, and imho, the best bulletproof setup is twin BBG bashguards in place of the removed rings. Std guard on the outside and superlite on the inside.
    Chain retention - no problem, had this setup on my old bike (9 spd) for years, never dropped a chain, same deal on the new bike.
    I would recommend removing some links from the chain since you don't need the same length with only the 32T ring.
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
    -- Robert Heinlein --