mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Most Maintenance-free 120mm 29er Suspension Fork?

I'm thinking of picking up a squishy fork for the new Krampus I just ordered but would like to keep it as simple as possible. Anyone have any thoughts on what would be the most maintenance-free 120mm fork? Are there any 120mm coil-spring forks? Isn't the Manitou Tower Expert "mostly" coil sprung with just a small air chamber?

I'm not too concerned about weight but I don't want to break the bank.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Don't you need a Fox 34 for the most tire clearance?
    Just do the maintenance weekly like everybody else with a Fox.
    You'll get that down to 15 minutes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Fox

Thanks, EB, I'll be running P35 rims instead of the Surly Rabbit Holes which should open up my fork choices beyond just Fox.

I'm pretty much set against Fox for a number of reasons but can you really do the service on their forks in just 15 minutes?

mtbr member
    Reba.

You can do basic service on any fork in about 15 minutes even if you spend time to really clean out the lowers. There are some consumables, of course, so just keep those around. I'm thinking bath oil, crush washers and wipers/foam (if you need to replace).

mk
    TrailWerks Cyclery
    Trailwerks Suspension Service

trailwerkssuspension.com
    trailwerkscyclery.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I'm considering the White Brothers Loop for this role, as it can actually even handle a Knard on a Rabbit Hole. I know it's got magnets, but I have no idea of it's required maintainence.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    Don't you need a Fox 34 for the most tire clearance?
    Just do the maintenance weekly like everybody else with a Fox.
    You'll get that down to 15 minutes.
    What is this weekly maintenance that takes 15 minutes that you speak of?

I've only put about 300 miles on my Fox fork but haven't done anything but check pressure before long rides and wipe the stanchions clean.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bikershrink View Post
    I'm considering the White Brothers Loop for this role, as it can actually even handle a Knard on a Rabbit Hole. I know it's got magnets, but I have no idea of it's required maintainence.
    Service procedures are on their site. Very easy. No crush washers to replace.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    There is no fork on the market thar requires distinctlivly less service or has much longer service intervals in relation to others.
    Let's than have a quick look at 120mm forks.
    1. RS Reba/ Sid or Rev/Sector with reduced travel: Service intervals recommended by manufacturer are insane short. But twice a year will do, or - if in dry conditions - once after season.
    2. Fox FIT: forget about damper (nitrogen inside), air chamber and lowers once per year should do.
    3. Manitou Tower Pro: once per year recommended. Semi-bath oil for lowers, and 5W-40 Motorex fo ABS+ damper. This fork in my opinion is the easiest fork to strip at home. Also v. stiff, and tunable. Best bang for bucks.

So, I'd say this: If you want go for value for money, go Tower Pro. If you want most adjustable fork get FOX CTD Adjust, but it'll rob you a bit (twice the Tower price).

By the way. I got a friend racing in Europe XCM. Mud, dust, rocks, rain, all disasters and he goes. The guy is technicaly numb. He just mounts the bike and push his cranks. He' s been using FOX CTD Kashima since Sept. 2012 (2013 model). Total distance 5700 miles. We opened the fork for check last week. And.......cleeeeeaaaan!!!. Stanchions OK, Seals OK. We just gave the fork some love and back to the bike.
    Guys with Manitou Tower Pro say they're perfectly happy with them. None of them use 120mm, only 100mm for racing. But it's the same.
    Heard also some good feedback od SR Epicon X1, but not long enough been raced to prove long term durability.
    Also good fork: Marzochchi Corsa.
    My recent winner in terms of stiffness: Magura TS8, but a nightmare to service (U dont like)
    X-Fusion: rarely seen in Europe.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    +1 on taking the Manitou apart very easily. I have almost 1000 miles on mine with no internal maintenance. I had the lowers off to swap Springs and removed the damper too its all very basic.

Like a sore d!ck you can't beat it!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by _Alberto_ View Post
    I had the lowers off to swap Springs and removed the damper too its all very basic.
    Yea, but that U do on initial fork setting. Once set, forget.
    Ohh.....unless your big fat clumpy swetting spongy blob and next U turn into no-fat, string muscle, straw looking rider, U might not need to swap the spring back .
    I'm kidding.....

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    So what it comes down to is you can have whichever fork you can get a deal on. I am way happy with my Manitou Tower Pro. I'm 175 and run a medium spring with 90psi air.
    The SID and Reba I demoed do not have small bump compliance stock. There is a mod to cure that. The Fox CTD does not have the adjustment range I want.