mtbr member
    May 2013

Modern equivalent of RockShox 29er Reba SL

Hello everyone,

I decided to create an account on this forum to ask this one question and then see how it goes from there...

A while back, I bought an unused (or very very very lightly used, I don't know) Motobecane Fantom 29PRO SLfor my wife for 500 bucks. It didn't get any use so I figured I would just adopt it for myself after swapping in a bigger frame. I bought a Motobecane Outkast 29er frame and took it to my local shop to swap, but neglected to notice that the old fork (RockShox 29er Reba SL) was cut too short for the new frame. After checking online and seeing that a replacement fork would set me back another $500, I put the unfinished bike in the garage and didn't think about it for a while.

Now it's getting to be summer and I want to ride, so I'm asking the community for suggestions on which fork would be a good replacement or if I should just suck it up and get another Reba (or another bike). I don't know too much about bike components and I haven't mountain-biked in probably 8 years... I can afford anything, but I don't think I need top-of-the-line performance parts and would rather spend less. I mostly just need something that is compatible with the rest of my components. Any input would be appreciated.

mtbr member
    A RockShox Recon Gold is a step down from a Reba or a Silver (steel steerer). Get a Air version not a coil. I have seen deals on here recently for about $250

Maybe sell the small frame/Reba to buy the new fork?
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

Rogue Exterminator
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

human dehumidifier
    Similarly, I used a Moto as a donor bike, didn't buy the biggest size possible, and ended up with too short of a steerer for the target frame. I replaced the CSU as shown in the link by kjlued to fix the sitiuation. It's not a huge deal to replace if you're mechanically adept. FWIW the price on those has shot through the roof in the 3 years since I bought one.
    I Just Wasn't Made For These Times

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Chinese carbon frame in your size after you check the head tube length. HongFu FM056 is similar to a Scott Scale. $400 + ship for a light carbon bike.

ballbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by Kniq View Post
    Hello everyone,

I decided to create an account on this forum to ask this one question and then see how it goes from there...

A while back, I bought an unused (or very very very lightly used, I don't know) Motobecane Fantom 29PRO SLfor my wife for 500 bucks. It didn't get any use so I figured I would just adopt it for myself after swapping in a bigger frame. I bought a Motobecane Outkast 29er frame and took it to my local shop to swap, but neglected to notice that the old fork (RockShox 29er Reba SL) was cut too short for the new frame. After checking online and seeing that a replacement fork would set me back another $500, I put the unfinished bike in the garage and didn't think about it for a while.

Now it's getting to be summer and I want to ride, so I'm asking the community for suggestions on which fork would be a good replacement or if I should just suck it up and get another Reba (or another bike). I don't know too much about bike components and I haven't mountain-biked in probably 8 years... I can afford anything, but I don't think I need top-of-the-line performance parts and would rather spend less. I mostly just need something that is compatible with the rest of my components. Any input would be appreciated.
    ... or try and find a used one in good shape. I see them go for typically around $300 or less, depending on year. If you got an SL, it sounds like you got a 2007-2008-ish one. Are there bulges in the lowers where the bushings go? If they are straight, then you have a 1st generation Reba. They added the bulges in 2009 for the second generation.

That said, you can also keep an eye out for a Fox Float 29er fork. I see them for under $300 on craigslist all the time. Just be sure you get one with a long enough steerer tube, and probably non-tapered 1 1/8".

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Is it off by a lot or justa little, another option is to see if you can get it on by using a lower stack headset and stem?

Had a friend correct this by going to crank brothers headset they tend to be low stack height.

If you dont know how to measure post up it easy.
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by HEMIjer View Post
    Is it off by a lot or justa little, another option is to see if you can get it on by using a lower stack headset and stem?

Had a friend correct this by going to crank brothers headset they tend to be low stack height.

If you dont know how to measure post up it easy.
    sure don't know how to measure, but that would be a great solution since the fork seems really nice.

and to pimpbot, here is what it looks like. it does have a slight bulge and i got it in 2011 I think, so maybe second gen.

Modern equivalent of RockShox 29er Reba SL-smaller-fork-front.jpgModern equivalent of RockShox 29er Reba SL-smaller-fork-back.jpg

mtbr member
    The Reba is much nicer than the forks people have suggested in the thread.

The "stack" height they are talking about is from the top of the frame at the head tube to the top of the stem. Here is a image to help:

Replacing the stem and removing spacers is going to create the most room. If it will workout that would be good, but it needs to look like this when setup to ensure it all tightens up correctly:

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Keep that fork, it's very nice.....upgrade the frame.
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    What the others have said, don't waste your money on a lesser fork than your already very nice Reba, buy a new crown assembly for it. It's been mentioned to upgrade the frame, keep in mind that if your current frame is the right size then a frame with a lower stack height (shorter head tube) might allow the fork to work with the frame but it may still be too short/low for you to ride without putting a riser stem and/or riser bars on it.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I wound up buying an RX-7 race car during the summer and forgot about this project until just now. That CSU 09/10 Reba 29" is the correct one for me? $259 hurts but I suppose it's better than 500 or downgrading.

Why is this piece so expensive? Also what, if any, kind of market is there for the pieces I'm replacing (frame and pre-cut CSU) if they have no visible wear?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    How about some measurements?
    How long is the steerer tube. How long is the head tube. Show a picture of the fork in place without spacers or stem and then in place with just the stem(a shot into the stem/steerer interface.
    I have had zero problem running a short steerer when the lower stem pinch bolt has had enough tube to tighten and the upper has not. No spacers under the stem. Very little force is applied in biking in the direction that would separate a stem from the steerer. And it would first loosen enough so the bars would move out of the correct alignment with the front wheel.