Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 132

Thread: Modded Fox 36

  1. #1
    Working Man's Toilet
    Reputation: D3DO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    834

    Modded Fox 36

    Modded Fox 36 for the 29er application:

    I have ridden this fork for about 18 months on my Lenz Behemoth.
    I bought it used on MTBR, had Alex Morgan from Buffalo Composite Design (BCD) mod it-(his idea, not mine). From my understanding he uses a CNC machine to machine the arch for clearance of the 29inch wheel and he adds an aluminum spacer to limit travel in one leg of the fork. Last I heard Alex races DH with a Fox 40 with the same mod. I bought the fork for $4hundy, paid alex $120ish for the mod, add shipping, I was into it $550 (not including a new 20mm TA wheel).

    After 18 months of use, I love this fork. It is UBER stiff. Had some flex at first, but it was a POS velocity hoop, this was solved with a wheel change to a ZTR flow.
    The fork performed like every other fox I have had- smooth and supple w/o a lick of problem. Set it up and ride. My first few rides I pinch flatted the front several times. Varied air pressure w/o success, finally went tubeless and have had zero problems since.
    The TALAS option still worked, it was the older model, so I had to dial it up and down, which was a bit of a pain, but at least it still worked. Am tempted to try the new version with the push button TALAS, but have heard the push button travel adjust is finicky.

    As far as the machined arch goes, I am a Behemoth rider for a reason. Clyde central- 6'6" 230 buck nah-ked. I had no problems with flex or cracks. I am also NOT a big jumper, so it didn't take huge jump style hits, but 245lbs geared, barreling down a trail into a G-out, rock garden or step up is good enuff for me.

    There is not a lot of space between the tire and the arch, small rocks stuck in my tread would get wedged in the honeycomb of the back of the arch requiring stoppage for removal- this happened 4-5 times in 18months- not frequently enough for it to be a hassle. I ran the biggest Nevegals made for 29ers (2.3 me thinks). I have only seen the Dissent tire in photos, I see no way it would fit under the arch.
    I ride in SoCal, dry and dusty (thanks for the H20 OR and CO). I would NOT consider this fork anywhere there is mud as you would quickly get impacted, requiring enemization. That being said, I think you could easily take a few more mm out for more space.

    Travel was just over 5"- I measured it at 5 and an 1/8th when I first got it.

    This was a sweet combo with my Behemoth.

    FYI- this may shock some of you, but this is not a Fox approved modification to one of their forks. They have posted a warning on their website, voids your warranty, blah, blah, blah.
    The fact that they know there is this mod should be a sports slap to the head for R&D to get us a Fox F29 36.

    I have sold mine, to try out the new Marzocchi fork, mainly due to itchy feet on my part and desire to try new gear. If it doesn't pan-out I will mod a newer version of the 36.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Ronnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,184
    Quote Originally Posted by D3DO
    I have sold mine, to try out the new Marzocchi fork, mainly due to itchy feet on my part and desire to try new gear.
    Is it the Marzocchi 44 Ti QR15 you are talking about? Have you ordered it yet? I'm interested in getting one for an Intense Tracer 29 and would love to know what you think.

    Ronnie.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

  3. #3
    Working Man's Toilet
    Reputation: D3DO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    834
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie
    Is it the Marzocchi 44 Ti QR15 you are talking about? Have you ordered it yet? I'm interested in getting one for an Intense Tracer 29 and would love to know what you think.

    Ronnie.
    No it is the non-ti version- seen here.
    It is at the shop waiting for the CK 20->15mm conversion kit.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jncarpenter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    6,795
    Are they shipping now?


  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Ronnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,184
    Quote Originally Posted by D3DO
    No it is the non-ti version- seen here.
    It is at the shop waiting for the CK 20->15mm conversion kit.
    That's the one Intense had on their show bike at Interbike. Maybe I'm being silly but the Ti is reported by Marzocchi to be 390g.(0.86lb.) lighter. I'd still be very interested to find out what you think of it.

    Ronnie.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

  6. #6
    Powered by ice cream.
    Reputation: Enel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    6,305
    Here's a question:

    Say the arch of the fork failed. How would that cause a catastrophic failure of the rest of the fork? You wouldn't want to ride it permanently, but it seems to me you could still ride it out. Am I wrong here?
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

  7. #7
    Killer of Chains
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,797
    Torsional flex would send the tire into the sides of the fork in corners, but I think on an XC trail you'd probably be able to limp home.

    I wouldn't want to have it snap, then still have another 1000' of knarly terrain to descend.

    D3DO Could this same mod be accomplished on say, a RS Pike or really any other fork?

  8. #8
    San Diego County
    Reputation: Duzitall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,475
    Quote Originally Posted by D3DO
    The fact that they know there is this mod should be a sports slap to the head for R&D to get us a Fox F29 36
    There's the question right there. What the heck are they thinking? Maybe their not thinking

    Enel's correct as is bcd, if it cracks, big deal, new lowers. Great post D3DO Good looking baby too, takes after mom I'm sure

    You still in San Diego?

  9. #9
    San Diego County
    Reputation: Duzitall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,475
    Quote Originally Posted by PaintPeelinPbody
    Torsional flex would send the tire into the sides of the fork in corners
    I can't imagine something too drastic happening. The bridge would likely show stress cracks well in advance of snapping. Heck, I still have an '04 DC Shiver in great shape that has basically the same thru axle and no bridge at all.

  10. #10
    Working Man's Toilet
    Reputation: D3DO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    834
    Quote Originally Posted by Enel
    Here's a question:

    Say the arch of the fork failed. How would that cause a catastrophic failure of the rest of the fork? You wouldn't want to ride it permanently, but it seems to me you could still ride it out. Am I wrong here?
    I agree- lets say the arch cracks or even complete break, what then? you have an arch-less fork like the Maverick-
    Maybe they are worried about arch vs tire and it sending you OTB.

  11. #11
    Working Man's Toilet
    Reputation: D3DO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    834
    Quote Originally Posted by PaintPeelinPbody
    D3DO Could this same mod be accomplished on say, a RS Pike or really any other fork?
    You would have to ask Alex is current, I asked after my mod about a pike, 1.5years ago- He said it depends on the thickness of the arch. The Fox was his best candidate due to it's thickness. The RS was the thinnest, so no, the Marzocchi 55 a maybe-
    You could probably talk him into it if you are going to give him a 500-800 dollar fork to tinker with.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: fallzboater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    919
    Quote Originally Posted by PaintPeelinPbody
    Torsional flex would send the tire into the sides of the fork in corners, but I think on an XC trail you'd probably be able to limp home.
    I doubt it would be a problem with the 20mm TA. Even with Magnesium being fairly weak, these mods seem to leave a good amount of meat.

    I'll be really interested to hear how the Marz (140, I assume) compares. My short list of bikes is a Lenz Behemoth or Lunch Box, Niner WFO, or Sultan, any of which I'd like to have something over 120mm on, and there sure aren't many options.

  13. #13
    Neg reppers r my biatches
    Reputation: FoShizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    17,248
    if only the 36 had a tapered steerer tube

  14. #14
    I like bikes
    Reputation: 29Inches's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    470

    New question here. Why

    Why in the world would anyone do this mod to a Fox fork when WB makes a 5" fork

  15. #15
    Neg reppers r my biatches
    Reputation: FoShizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    17,248
    Quote Originally Posted by 29Inches
    Why in the world would anyone do this mod to a Fox fork when WB makes a 5" fork
    Can I modify a 26er WB fork similarly to work with my 29er wheels?

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CRAZY FRED's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    2,676

    That's the one,

    Quote Originally Posted by D3DO
    No it is the non-ti version- seen here.
    It is at the shop waiting for the CK 20->15mm conversion kit.

    That's the one I've been looking for..I saw this fork on the new Tracer and on a WFO a while back but could not find it on the site..Black stantions (is that right?) look so sick on a black fork....D3DO I don't care what anybody says about the 36 mod, I thought it was a great idea ( to at least try anyway)..I too would LOVE to hear your thoughts on this fork, so if and when you can that would be great..Good luck..CF.

  17. #17
    Powered by ice cream.
    Reputation: Enel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    6,305
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    if only the 36 had a tapered steerer tube
    Huh?
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

  18. #18
    T , V , & K Rider
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    2,342
    Quote Originally Posted by 29Inches
    Why in the world would anyone do this mod to a Fox fork when WB makes a 5" fork

    Even though it would void warranty , be resalable only to a fool , and raise safety concerns........it is pretty unique ! TIG.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    266
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    Can I modify a 26er WB fork similarly to work with my 29er wheels?
    You can modify any fork, as long as you limit the travel so the tire don`t hit......and cut the arch. I might be doing surgery on a friends behemoth next month....He is looking on a last year`s production of a nixon comp 160mm.......

    Erling

    (ps) I love my dorado boxhemoth.

  20. #20
    San Diego County
    Reputation: Duzitall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,475
    Quote Originally Posted by ebrabaek
    He is looking on a last year`s production of a nixon comp 160mm..
    You really think you can get a 29er wheel under a Nixon 160 arch? I have a Nixon 145 in the garage and an XDX 29er tire exceeds the height of the scrawny little arch by at least a half inch. There's not much meat on a Manitou bridge to shave.

  21. #21
    San Diego County
    Reputation: Duzitall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,475
    Quote Originally Posted by TIGMAN
    Even though it would void warranty , be resalable only to a fool , and raise safety concerns.......
    Plenty of people would buy that fork used. Plenty of people buy them new and send them to be modified. You don't like it, don't buy it.

  22. #22
    Neg reppers r my biatches
    Reputation: FoShizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    17,248
    Quote Originally Posted by Enel
    good point..totally forgot it was! nevertheless, i am a sheep and will stick with the REBA

  23. #23
    Working Man's Toilet
    Reputation: D3DO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    834
    Quote Originally Posted by TIGMAN
    be resalable only to a fool
    Psalms 94:8 Take heed, you senseless ones among the people; you fools, when will you become wise?

    it has already been sold

  24. #24
    T , V , & K Rider
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    2,342
    Quote Originally Posted by D3DO
    Psalms 94:8 Take heed, you senseless ones among the people; you fools, when will you become wise?

    it has already been sold

    Did you at least tell the sucker you sold the bastardized 36 to that Fox has a warning not to do this modification posted on their website ? Well , if enough fools keep doing this mod........maybe Fox and RS will be forced to finally produce a longer travel 29er fork with bigger stanchions so carry on ! TIG.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    266
    Quote Originally Posted by Duzitall
    You really think you can get a 29er wheel under a Nixon 160 arch? I have a Nixon 145 in the garage and an XDX 29er tire exceeds the height of the scrawny little arch by at least a half inch. There's not much meat on a Manitou bridge to shave.
    Not without cutting. But instead of removing material......It will be clearcut....and rebuild in Carbon fiber with a higher arch...... I will post pictures if we go ahead....

    Erling

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    780

    ... and if we just ... Haahahha

    Quote Originally Posted by TIGMAN
    Did you at least tell the sucker you sold the bastardized 36 to that Fox has a warning not to do this modification posted on their website ? Well , if enough fools keep doing this mod........maybe Fox and RS will be forced to finally produce a longer travel 29er fork with bigger stanchions so carry on ! TIG.

    You have to just love the haters that come along with there sayings on this topic, I have been on my modified 36 about 2yrs now still pimpin. Don't hate the player hate the game It blows away 32mm forks hands down no comparing.
    "It Is What It Is" Phil 4:13
    B-Ray Da Beast

  27. #27
    T , V , & K Rider
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    2,342
    Quote Originally Posted by B-RAY
    You have to just love the haters that come along with there sayings on this topic, I have been on my modified 36 about 2yrs now still pimpin. Don't hate the player hate the game It blows away 32mm forks hands down no comparing.

    No hate for the players.........if your having good luck with the mod that's great !

    For the expense and the fact it is not recommended by Fox are the main reasons I would not go for it.........plus I'm happy with my 120 mm Reba w 20 mm TA for now ! Yeah , I agree it would be sweet to see Fox , RS , and others start producing heavier duty 29er forks like the Fox 36 for frames like the WFO and the Lunchbox for example ! The first post I made was just for jest....that's about it ! TIG.

  28. #28
    Neg reppers r my biatches
    Reputation: FoShizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    17,248
    Quote Originally Posted by TIGMAN
    No hate for the players.........if your having good luck with the mod that's great !

    For the expense and the fact it is not recommended by Fox are the main reasons I would not go for it.........plus I'm happy with my 120 mm Reba w 20 mm TA for now ! Yeah , I agree it would be sweet to see Fox , RS , and others start producing heavier duty 29er forks like the Fox 36 for frames like the WFO and the Lunchbox for example ! The first post I made was just for jest....that's about it ! TIG.
    I hate the players, the game, but especially hate the toolbagz who like to quote the retarded cliche of "dont hate the player..."

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Ronnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,184
    Quote Originally Posted by Duzitall
    You really think you can get a 29er wheel under a Nixon 160 arch? I have a Nixon 145 in the garage and an XDX 29er tire exceeds the height of the scrawny little arch by at least a half inch. There's not much meat on a Manitou bridge to shave.
    I wouldn't like to see a Manitou cut but I often wondered if it would be possible to mate say a Manitou Minute 29 fork lower casting onto a Nixon 160 TPC upper. They both have 32mm. stanchions. Does anyone know if it would be possible? I've had a 2006 Nixon Super TPC on a long travel 26" trail bike the past few years and it's been flawless. I wish I could get a 140 to 150mm. 29 fork like it.

    Ronnie.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    168

    We the people ...

    Quote Originally Posted by Enel
    Exactly.

    I'm seriously considering going down this road due to the fact it ticks all the boxes:

    Tapered steerer.

    36 stanchions

    20mm T/A

    Adjustable travel

    140 mm travel

    Can't find anything else that tick's 'em - alternatively I'll go the Marz and upgrade when something new comes along.

    @ the OP - thanks for the report, greatly appreciated

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    266
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie
    I wouldn't like to see a Manitou cut but I often wondered if it would be possible to mate say a Manitou Minute 29 fork lower casting onto a Nixon 160 TPC upper. They both have 32mm. stanchions. Does anyone know if it would be possible? I've had a 2006 Nixon Super TPC on a long travel 26" trail bike the past few years and it's been flawless. I wish I could get a 140 to 150mm. 29 fork like it.

    Ronnie.
    It would work...except....you would`nt gain any travel..... See the rod coming from your upper stanchions.....both sides....Will need to be longer as well.....Other why it won`t fully extend, and tire will hit the bottom of the crown...... You need to cut and weld an extension to both rods....then it would work......

    Erling

  32. #32
    Working Man's Toilet
    Reputation: D3DO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    834
    Quote Originally Posted by n plus one
    Exactly.

    I'm seriously considering going down this road due to the fact it ticks all the boxes:

    Tapered steerer.

    36 stanchions

    20mm T/A

    Adjustable travel

    140 mm travel

    Can't find anything else that tick's 'em - alternatively I'll go the Marz and upgrade when something new comes along.

    @ the OP - thanks for the report, greatly appreciated
    I agree- no other tick's 'em. Still waiting for one that does. Still can't believe it is still the best option, but alas, such is life.

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Ronnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,184
    Quote Originally Posted by ebrabaek
    It would work...except....you would`nt gain any travel..... See the rod coming from your upper stanchions.....both sides....Will need to be longer as well.....Other why it won`t fully extend, and tire will hit the bottom of the crown...... You need to cut and weld an extension to both rods....then it would work......

    Erling
    Not sure I agree with you. The more I think about it the more I think it should work. The travel of the Nixon is limited by the travel of the compression and damper rods into the stanchions. If a 29" lower casting were fitted it would come up higher on the stanchions though. The limiting factor would be the danger of the tire or fork lower bottoming out against the crown. This would mean inserting a spacer to limit travel which might mean the exercise is not worth while.

    If someone has a Minute 29, I'd like to know how long the lower casting is from the dropout. I'd like to see how different it is from the Nixon casting.

    Ronnie.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    266
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie
    Not sure I agree with you. The more I think about it the more I think it should work. The travel of the Nixon is limited by the travel of the compression and damper rods into the stanchions. If a 29" lower casting were fitted it would come up higher on the stanchions though. The limiting factor would be the danger of the tire or fork lower bottoming out against the crown. This would mean inserting a spacer to limit travel which might mean the exercise is not worth while.

    If someone has a Minute 29, I'd like to know how long the lower casting is from the dropout. I'd like to see how different it is from the Nixon casting.

    Ronnie.
    Okay.....Picture this....Take off the lowers.....Now you have two upper stanchions with a rod sticking out of both. The end of those rods screw into the lowers...... If you then put on a lower cast from a absolute 29`er....the arch will now clear the tire......But at full compression the tire will hit the top of the arch....... Reason I know this is that I tried this myself. All you would achieve is that you would not have to cut the arch.....But remember the 29 inch tire is 1 1/2 inch taller And even on a 26`er nixon there is only 3/8 tire to arch clearance on full stroke.....

    Erling

  35. #35
    Working Man's Toilet
    Reputation: D3DO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    834
    Quote Originally Posted by ebrabaek
    Not without cutting. But instead of removing material......It will be clearcut....and rebuild in Carbon fiber with a higher arch...... I will post pictures if we go ahead....

    Erling
    I would love to see this.

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    998
    can the mod done with a fox 36 VAN as well?

  37. #37
    Just Wanna Ride!
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,374
    Been a while now - anyone had this mod break??

  38. #38
    Working Man's Toilet
    Reputation: D3DO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    834
    Quote Originally Posted by hellocook
    can the mod done with a fox 36 VAN as well?
    Yes.
    I do the TALAS as I like to ratchet down the travel for longer climbs.

  39. #39
    Working Man's Toilet
    Reputation: D3DO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    834
    No failures yet. Am waiting on a new one too....mmmmmmm

  40. #40
    Snapper
    Reputation: johnd663's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    489

    Leap of faith

    I would love a modded 36 for my DW Sultan - not necessarly for the longer travel but more for the stiffness and the buttery Fox feel. I could then run a coil in the rear and up front. I have thought about purchasing a used Talas 36 off the classifieds here - having it sent for the mod and them shipped to Australia but that would require a fairly large leap of faith. Hell thinking my local engineer can machine it for me and l can put in some spacers to limit travel.
    Any one selling a used modded 36 - please let me know.
    Thanks for the review OP.
    JD

  41. #41
    Working Man's Toilet
    Reputation: D3DO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    834
    Quote Originally Posted by johnd663
    Any one selling a used modded 36 - please let me know
    Used mods are few and far between and usually come at a premium due to rariety.

    It does take a leap of faith, but didn't jumping on your first 29er?

    I would recommend buying a used fork having them ship it to the mod and then having it shipped to you. That is how I did my first, second.... soon to be third. (except the last 2 have been new!!)

  42. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,140
    2 modded Talas 32 100/120/140mm for over a year one on hardtail, other on Tallboy (but 15mm tru axle on the Tb). No breaking of arch. I would do 15mm and maybe tapered to minimize the extra flex in the brace.
    Love it for fast XC stuff. 5'9" 170 lbs. Not made for all mountain or more with the 32 Talas because of weakened arch. Also note: I am really easy on my bikes on the descents at my age. Also, you should not be messing with the arch cutting unless you have cnc machine access and skills.
    http://www.instructables.com/id/How-...-Cheaply-and-/
    Also, imho the mods these days are really only good for shorter guys who benefit from the lower axle/crown and shorter wheelbase with the smaller offset. If I were taller guy that just wanted more travel, I would not mess around with it but would simply use a Reba 29er that this year offers 140mm full time instead. In most cases from what I have seen of many riders that aren't really all that sensitive to slight changes will not notice..whew.
    The fox mod gets me a slightly steeper head angle, shortens up my wheelbase and overall drops my crown height but gives me taking more care with lower bb also. nuff said (repeating self in circles.) flame on.
    Last edited by ghawk; 10-13-2010 at 07:49 AM.

  43. #43
    Working Man's Toilet
    Reputation: D3DO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    834
    Quote Originally Posted by ghawk
    Also, imho the mods these days are really only good for shorter guys who benefit from the lower axle/crown and shorter wheelbase with the smaller offset. If I were taller guy that just wanted more travel, I would not mess around with it but would simply use a Reba 29er that this year offers 140mm full time instead.
    I hope you are referring to your 32 TALAS- as the 36 has more travel and WAY more stiffness, and us tall guys (I am 6'6") love the modded Fox.

  44. #44
    JB
    Reputation: Nevada 29er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    284
    Quote Originally Posted by D3DO
    I have sold mine, to try out the new Marzocchi fork, mainly due to itchy feet on my part and desire to try new gear. If it doesn't pan-out I will mod a newer version of the 36.
    I have a Moth Martz 44 combo, safe to say you'll be shopping for a new Fox 36 soon unless theres major changes to the 2011.

  45. #45
    used to be RipRoar
    Reputation: TraxFactory's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 1999
    Posts
    1,671
    Quote Originally Posted by 29Inches
    Why in the world would anyone do this mod to a Fox fork when WB makes a 5" fork
    36mm stanchions.

    When I built my Sultan I really considered this mod, but figured being 240# probably would not be a good idea. Good to hear OP success.

    I really want a 36mm stanchioned single crown 29er fork. Kinda bummed WB's new line does not seem to have one.

  46. #46
    Underskilled
    Reputation: CaveGiant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    4,117
    WB are bringing some nice forks out this year, still not the promised 36, but much larger mag lowers.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?

  47. #47
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,140
    I hope you are referring to your 32 TALAS- as the 36 has more travel and WAY more stiffness, and us tall guys (I am 6'6") love the modded Fox.
    Yes, I was mainly commenting on the shorter travel talas 100-140 32 for smaller guys in an XC mode, but I doubt if I would do the mod if I were taller guy only looking to go 140mm.
    Btw, Alex at BCD is not doing the mod anymore is that right ?

  48. #48
    Working Man's Toilet
    Reputation: D3DO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    834
    Quote Originally Posted by ghawk
    Yes, I was mainly commenting on the shorter travel talas 100-140 32 for smaller guys in an XC mode, but I doubt if I would do the mod if I were taller guy only looking to go 140mm.
    I concur would not run a modded 32 if I was over 180# or ride serious gnar. A Through axel (TA) is a MUST as well.

    Quote Originally Posted by ghawk
    Btw, Alex at BCD is not doing the mod anymore is that right ?
    I am not aware of this, he is currently modding a fork for me, and just did one.
    I would not be surprised as I am sure it is a lot of work for not a lot of scratch.

  49. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,140
    Cool, I sent him pm a few months ago and got no response so I just figured the big F had put the hammer down.
    I would probably not take all the time to do another, much easier and time/cost cheaper and cleaner (my cuts did not look that good as the above picture) to send to him.
    Sure would like to do a new Tlogic Talas if the lockout were firm enough.
    I'm out for awhile.
    Last edited by ghawk; 10-13-2010 at 10:30 PM.

  50. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    176
    Just had him do a 2011 Talus 180 for my new Lunchbox and it looks pretty good to me! He charged me 200.00 and took him about a week to do it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •