mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Misaligned headset, bended frame or fork?

My bike headset has a side gap. Have tried to rebuild/ajust few times w/o success.
    When I turn handle bar at ~45 deg. it become a bit sticky. Specially turning left is noticably harder.

Bearings are sealed an looks/works fine.

Any idea what's wrong?

Misaligned headset, bended frame or fork?-2.jpgMisaligned headset, bended frame or fork?-1.jpgMisaligned headset, bended frame or fork?-3.jpg

mtbr member
    Is the steer tube bent? That doesn't look like a frame issue.

mtbr member
    Take the forks off use a good, true straight edge and check the steerer along its whole length for a bend. Would have taken a hellva hit to bend one.

I would check everything including making sure the crown race is fully and properly seated too.
    Sent from my Nokia Stupid Phone using Tapatalk
    Trek Marlin 29er

Like It, Love It, Want Some More Of It!

transmitter~receiver
    OP - If you loosen the top cap and the stem bolts, can you push the headset cap down to where it's straight with your hand? It seems possible that the downward pressure on the stem/spacers from the top cap might not be even somehow.
    Is the star nut seated straight?

Quote Originally Posted by tigris99 View Post
    Take the forks off use a good, true straight edge and check the steerer along its whole length for a bend.
    That's a tapered fork, so the steerer is not straight by design.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Remote possibility but it could be a deformed upper bearing cover.

mtbr member
    Nah that bearing cover is kinda brittle it would probably snap not bend.

I would blame the bearing sitting wrong in the cup? Maybe some metal shavings caught underneath?

Crown race improperly seated also a possibility as suggested

transmitter~receiver

Misaligned headset, bended frame or fork?

No way it's a crown race problem.
    Bearing not seated right could make sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

mtbr member
    Is this a new issue or has it been this way for a long time? If it has always been this way it is possible that the head tube is not faced properly from the factory. A good quality shop can easily reface the headtube of the frame, or it may be a manufacturing defect warranty issue.

Big Gulps, Alright!
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinS View Post
    Is this a new issue or has it been this way for a long time? If it has always been this way it is possible that the head tube is not faced properly from the factory. A good quality shop can easily reface the headtube of the frame, or it may be a manufacturing defect warranty issue.
    Ding ding ding, I believe we have a winner.

It's highly unlikely your frame/fork/steerer tube is bent. Assuming the headset is assembled and adjusted correctly (first thing I would check), the next step is to knock the headset out and face the head tube (preferably top and bottom).

That may be tough to do as not a lot of shops have the larger facing tools that tapered head tubes require (don't ask me how I know).

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    That looks like a semi-integrated headset. Does the bottom cup look like it is fully seated? Otherwise I'd agree, knock the cups out and see if you can see what is going on - if nothing then get it faced.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Slash5 View Post
    That looks like a semi-integrated headset. Does the bottom cup look like it is fully seated? Otherwise I'd agree, knock the cups out and see if you can see what is going on - if nothing then get it faced.
    Checked the bottom cup - everything looks exactly the same as in my other bike (Giant Trance X 26").

The top cup/bearing's bed however definetely has problems. It's shape slightly oval.

I've fixed it by putting 8-10 layers of folded kitchen foil.

Misaligned headset, bended frame or fork?-4.jpg

After a couple mins ride it didn't start rubbing the frame.
    Most likely the fix will be temporary because the foil is very soft material. Will put a can's top next time.

This is the second problem w/ the frame. Previous time a suspension link just stapped. Bike is 1.5y old, 5k km.

mtbr member
    At 1.5yrs warranty is still very valid, get it to lbs and have them sort it since its seeming to be a manufacturing defect by this point
    Sent from my Nokia Stupid Phone using Tapatalk
    Trek Marlin 29er

Like It, Love It, Want Some More Of It!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by tigris99 View Post
    At 1.5yrs warranty is still very valid, get it to lbs and have them sort it since its seeming to be a manufacturing defect by this point
    Will do. Few months ago I got a replacement suspention link after it snapped. Hope Giant will replace the whole frame as well.

Crash Dummy In Training
    Quote Originally Posted by ya29er View Post
    Will do. Few months ago I got a replacement suspention link after it snapped. Hope Giant will replace the whole frame as well.
    I just came back on after reading this a couple hours ago to say the same thing tigris99 said.
    I don't doubt that Giant will just warranty the frame for you.
    Good luck I hope they do.
    Would be a good time since they are going to tear it down anyway to clean and re grease bottom bracket and other bearings.
    ​​
    2012 Stump Jumper Comp 29'er H.T.
    1997 Rock Hopper / Manitou TI Bulge Fork / Shimano STX-3 x 7 P.O.S.​

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Giants have lifetime warranties on the frames. Warranty work should be free if it's the LBS you bought the bike from, otherwise you'll have to pay to do the swapping (or do it yourself). New frames can take up to 5 business days to arrive if it's coming from the distribution center on the opposite side of the country (assuming you're in the US), but only a couple of days if it's the same coast.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    My LBS is not so 'L'. It's in Germany while I'm in Cyprus in a small town. I bought the bike online.
    I wish they will not ask me to ship the old frame back since it will be quite expensive for me.

The frame is one of few things that are still original. I'm heavy (220lbs/100kg), the area is hilly and I ride fast enough to be in top (#2 last time) in island wide amateur races. Many parts have been snapped/broken and replaced already. If it was not yet replaced then it makes creaking sounds.
    The only handlebar and stem seems to be reliable.