Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    This place needs an enema

Minion DHF's in 29 x 2.5"

At long last the rumored (and needed!) 29 x 2.5" Maxxis Minion DHF tires are here.

As in, available to be purchased and *ridden*.  Yep, right now.

Casing has EXO protection and is Tubeless Ready.  

I've been running mine tubeless since October on both Stans Flow EX and Pacenti DL31 rims.  I've ridden them in Arizona, Utah, and Colorado, on the most fun and chunky trails I know.  

They have massive casings (~62mm wide on a Flow EX, @ 20psi), massive knobbage, hold untubed air beautifully, and are basically the best thing since sliced rye.  

They are, by far, the most adept big-hit tire made for big wheel bikes.  I've ridden them back-to-back against Hans Dampf, Ardent, Purgatory, and Nobby Nic.  Those are all great tires--for cross country riding.  If you want to really get after it *and* not worry about flats, the DHF's are in a league of their own.

The three ride shots above are courtesy of Scott Morris.

Hell, they're even Skippy approved:

Cheers,

MC
    Last edited by rockcrusher; 05-03-2013 at 02:22 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    many thanks Mike, delivered with great photos, credibility and panache!!

mtbr member
    Mikesee,
    Have you had any time on the 29" version of the Conti TK 2.4s to offer a comparison? I have had no time on any other tire for a size and grippiness comparison, but have had plenty of time on a 26" DHF for my gravity sled. The 26" DHF tend to run a bit narrow vs say a Conti Der Kaiser, both in 2.5. TIA
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    Mikesee,
    Have you had any time on the 29" version of the Conti TK 2.4s to offer a comparison? I have had no time on any other tire for a size and grippiness comparison, but have had plenty of time on a 26" DHF for my gravity sled. The 26" DHF tend to run a bit narrow vs say a Conti Der Kaiser, both in 2.5. TIA
    Nope, haven't ridden anything Conti in a long time. I have friends that swear by them but from what I've seen the 29" stuff is typical Conti undersized.

Most/all of the Maxxis 29" stuff I've seen in the last year has been true to claimed size. The casings on the handful of DHF's I've seen are every bit of 2.5" at reasonable riding pressures. The 29 x 2.5" DHF is noticeably bigger than the 26" x 2.5. To me the 26" version looks like a 2.3.

Cheers,

MC

mtbr member
    You have any dual ply?

Quote Originally Posted by sikocycles View Post
    You have any dual ply?
    Yep, two. On my bike, being ridden.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    Yep, two. On my bike, being ridden.
    Damn you.....

mtbr member
    These set up pretty easily tubeless on the DL31 rims?

Quote Originally Posted by GTscoob View Post
    These set up pretty easily tubeless on the DL31 rims?
    3 wraps of Stans wide (25mm) tape, a valve, and some sealant. Aired up with a floor pump, bead seated at ~22psi.

Might not need 3 wraps, I just fear/hate burps and the extra layers are cheap insurance. I do the same on my Flow EX's.

FYI, the shipment arrived this AM. Lightest tire was 1000g, heaviest was 1040g. Claimed by Maxxis at 1015g. Nice to see such consistency across 20+ tires.

....just cruisin through
    Just sent ya an email, Mikesee. Need a pair of EXOs in AZ!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Here are just a few of the key ingredients: dynamite, pole vaulting, laughing gas, choppers.....

mtbr member
    Woo Hoo...Universal Cycles Rules!

Minion DHF's in 29 x 2.5"-minion-dhf.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by RipRoar View Post
    Woo Hoo...Universal Cycles Rules!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	minion dhf.jpg 
Views:	1439 
Size:	78.7 KB 
ID:	795641
    "Zero in stock, zero available to ship" = rules?

Nice price though--for something they don't have.

mtbr member

We the people ...

Quote Originally Posted by mikesee;
    "Zero in stock, zero available to ship" = rules?

Nice price though--for something they don't have.
    {snip}

Update: Apologies, Didn't realize YOU were also selling them....thought you were just passing the tire stoke....

Cassoulet forever !
    I would be interested in a comparaison with the WTB Dissent, wich i loved, except the weight
    Frenchspeaking 29"ers community site http://VingtNeuf.org

Quote Originally Posted by RipRoar View Post
    {snip}

Update: Apologies, Didn't realize YOU were also selling them....thought you were just passing the tire stoke....
    Thanks for the apology, but not necessary. Glad you scored a set.

workin' it Administrator
    I split this thread, threw a SPAM copy into the forum and locked it, and left this one so that you can ask questions, share stoke. If you have buying q's email the op directly don't ask through this thread please.
    Try this: HTFU

29er
    Apr 2010
    would these be overkill on a trail bike as a front tire?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan GSR View Post
    would these be overkill on a trail bike as a front tire?
    Depends on the trail bike, the trail, and the rider.

I'm still looking for reasons to *not* ride them. None found, but I'm willing to keep looking.

29er
    Apr 2010
    how is the rolling resistance compared to a hans dampf ?

mtbr member
    Put in my first ride on them today (front and rear; 60A/62A version; Pacenti DL 31 rims; Banshee Paradox). New Mexico (dry, loose over hardpack, sharp-ish rocks) conditions. They replaced a 2.35" Hans Damph front and 2.35" Nobby Nic rear. Based on what I've read, I was expecting a lot from the tires. Despite my high expectations, they still managed to seriously impress me.

To begin with, they roll no worse than my previous setup; at least as far as I can tell. If I had to put money on it, I'd say they roll better. Cornering grip-the bit of slide I'd get with the HD is, for all practical purposes, gone. Hit a rock mid-corner? Who cares. Not me. Tire just bites in once it's back on the ground. Climbing traction-these things don't want to slip. Way more traction than the NN on loose climbs. Ever find yourself on a really steep, loose, and techy climb in the wrong gear? And you know if you shift you'll fail? Not anymore. Just stand and hammer. If you have the torque, this tire has the grip. Braking performance-the big difference I noticed was hard braking on bumpy, loose surfaces. Much more confidence inspiring than the HD. It feels more secure; less, for lack of a better word, floaty, than the Schwalbes. Which until today, I really, really liked.

I love these tires. They are everything a tire should be. Though I'm not a huge fan of rye bread, they are indeed the best thing since sliced Tillamook Sharp Cheddar.

Or to paraphrase Jeremy Clarkson from his first drive in the Ariel Atom: These tires grip like nothing you can possibly imagine. The amazing thing is you never, ever miss a corner. You rail every corner. Every single time.

Steve

On a related note, I have some slightly used HD's, NN's, Bontrager tires and Wild Grip-R's; and a brand new Chunky Monkey; for sale...
    Proponent for an Evidence Driven Life.

mtbr member

Minion DHF 2.5 vs Trail King 2.4

Just received my DHF from Mikesee (thanks Mike!) and slapped it on the front wheel. My old rear TK blew a sidewall so, moved the old front to back.
    I took some pics of casing widths...based on the Wider Nancy rims.

A look at both. The knobs are def bigger on the DHF!
    Minion DHF's in 29 x 2.5"-minion-dhf-2.5-vs-tk-2.4.jpg

Conti Trail King 2.4 29er. Measured casing width is 2.32in.
    Minion DHF's in 29 x 2.5"-conti-tk-2.4-29er-2.32-.jpg

Maxxis Minion DHF 2.5 29er. Measured casing width is 2.255in.
    Sorry the pic is over-exposed.
    Minion DHF's in 29 x 2.5"-minion-dhf-2.5-29er-2.255.jpg
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    Maxxis Minion DHF 2.5 29er. Measured casing width is 2.255in.
    But this is much smaller than thread opener "mikesee" measured. 62 vs. 57 mm

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DerBergschreck View Post
    But this is much smaller than thread opener "mikesee" measured. 62 vs. 57 mm
    Interior width of Mikesee's Flow EX is 25.5mm. The LB plastic hoop's interior width is 23mm. With some margin for error, this could justify the difference. Also, dunno if Mikesee measured after riding for a bit, but I measured off a fresh mount. I know the TKs stretches a bit from a fresh mount...?
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Put my new shoes on today...wow! Aggressive, very predictable, and fast. The trails I rode today are hard pack, loose corners, loose rock, rooty...AK trails are normaly straight up hero dirt. It's been warm, no rain and super dry. I'm a Schwalbe fan, especially the HD's for my 29er. Those shoes are outstanding by all means, but the minion dhf and dhr 2 combo have exceeded all expectations by far. They grip all! Slam'em into the turns, off camber landings on simi loose...no worries. Roots, rock gardens, they beg for more. I will say the rear drifts, then hooks up! Braking: straight line, in a turn, off camber, brake hard, brake softly...they bite and stop on command. I'd say they roll just as well as the HD's if not better...Climbing: in the saddle the stick like hook and loop Velcro, stand and hammer, they broke free( my HD's didn't whilst standing on a climb)
    Oh, my set up is; 2.5 Minion DHF ( up front) and 2.35 Minion 2 DHR out back. Pretty close to size too...
    (F) PSI 25'ish ( maybe like 23') (R)PSI at 28
    Running tubeless, ( these have to be the easiest tubeless mount I've yet to experience)
    Floor pump w/no tube to seat the beads. No burps either!
    I'm floored by the performance of these aggressive high volume shoes, they gave me nothing but total compliance today. (For DH, I don't like them at all) 29er...best aggressive shoes in production I feel. To me this is a outstanding AM tire that you can finess or muscle, whatever the trail throws your way...( can't comment on granite/kitty litter, or straight up rock trails...yet. Must say thanks to Maxxis for these guys for sure!(still love my Schwalbe HD's)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast