mtbr member

merlin cycles(fork)experience

Really hoping someone can give some feedback or experience that they have had with merlin cycles and buy suspension forks from them...

mtbr member
    Bought a set of wheels from them. Pics showed straight pull, wheels showed up as J-bend. Merlin told me "sorry, those are the pics we have. You can return the wheels"... Still waiting for them to make them right. They haven't even offered or agreed to cover return shipping... to the UK.

So I'm currently on the hook with a wheelset that wasn't as described/pictured and they aren't responding to my emails.

ragley blue pig x

Re: merlin cycles(fork)experience

Bought a stans crest rims/hope evo 2 hub handbuilt wheelset from them a while back 700 miles in and no problems whatsoever so far and the hubs are red ^^

If i was going to be anal and complain i would say unlike the factory built hope hoops/stans flow I got from hope there was no 20mm adapter for the front wheel and no spare spokes but I wasnt wanting that and I could have swaped the qr for either the 15mm or 20mm if I had speced it ^^

ragley blue pig x

Re: merlin cycles(fork)experience

Ive never bought a fork from them^^

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Bought lots of stuff from them no problems. Got some cassettes and shifter on it's way right now.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by hokiebrett View Post
    Bought a set of wheels from them. Pics showed straight pull, wheels showed up as J-bend. Merlin told me "sorry, those are the pics we have. You can return the wheels"... Still waiting for them to make them right. They haven't even offered or agreed to cover return shipping... to the UK.

So I'm currently on the hook with a wheelset that wasn't as described/pictured and they aren't responding to my emails.
    Curious what wheel set? Got a set of Sun Ringle Charger Comp's on their way from Chain Reaction and on the review someone made the same complaint.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Bought a Rockshox Reba RLT from them. They were significantly cheaper than CRC and the fork turned up within 4-5 working days free shipping from UK-NZ. Brilliant! I have no complaints.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I have recently received a 2013 29er REBA RL 100mm from them and to be honest I am in the process of deciding whether or not I should send them back.

I have bought loads of stuff from them in the past without any issues but this fork is bothering me.

1. not in rockshox packaging so probabaly OEM... i have no problem with that. No Pushloc included. No biggy there either, one was sent out shortly after an email to them.
    2. Looks like it has been serviced or modified previously and sold as new. There is tool wear on the airspring top cap assembly nut suggesting that airspring has been swapped out.
    3. The dust wipers are black. All examples I can find on the web are grey except new 2014 versions. Suspicious? There are indentations around the seals suggesting they have been levered off and it looks like they are marginally smaller than the bore of the lowers. Possible leaks or contamination alarm bells for me there!
    4. Steerer cut about 5mm short of the 265mm standard new length. Why?

Sure you get a good bargain but the listing should detail whether you are buying a cosmetically damaged or refurbished item.

I am also curious as to why they are the only online retailers i could find selling a 100mm 29er REBA with 15mm maxle and 1-1/8th steerer. Most I have seen with a 15mm maxle are tapered.

Got me thinking I may have a Frankenfork... and long term warranty issues are a concern too. Left them upside down over night and no oil leaks yet.... thankfully.

As I said I am trying to decide to take a chance on these or return to Merlin...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by davidlouis View Post
    I have recently received a 2013 29er REBA RL 100mm from them and to be honest I am in the process of deciding whether or not I should send them back.

I have bought loads of stuff from them in the past without any issues but this fork is bothering me.

1. not in rockshox packaging so probabaly OEM... i have no problem with that. No Pushloc included. No biggy there either, one was sent out shortly after an email to them.
    2. Looks like it has been serviced or modified previously and sold as new. There is tool wear on the airspring top cap assembly nut suggesting that airspring has been swapped out.
    3. The dust wipers are black. All examples I can find on the web are grey except new 2014 versions. Suspicious? There are indentations around the seals suggesting they have been levered off and it looks like they are marginally smaller than the bore of the lowers. Possible leaks or contamination alarm bells for me there!
    4. Steerer cut about 5mm short of the 265mm standard new length. Why?

Sure you get a good bargain but the listing should detail whether you are buying a cosmetically damaged or refurbished item.

I am also curious as to why they are the only online retailers i could find selling a 100mm 29er REBA with 15mm maxle and 1-1/8th steerer. Most I have seen with a 15mm maxle are tapered.

Got me thinking I may have a Frankenfork... and long term warranty issues are a concern too. Left them upside down over night and no oil leaks yet.... thankfully.

As I said I am trying to decide to take a chance on these or return to Merlin...
    WOW, just inspected mine and my steerer was also cut just a small amount and the seals are black as well. although i didnt recieve mine in a rockshox box either i did however get the pushloc with my order. it just really bothers me that they didnt specifiy that the product was an oem. Just for referance my fork is a reba rlt. i think i might just have to live with it bc im sure sending it back to the uk would cost a fortune. so please keep me updated on how everything goes. i just wanted to start this thread to see other peoples opinions so if my fork did go to sh*t in a year or so i would atleast have a heads up. I think i might end up taking it to my local shop for an inspection and see what they think....

mtbr member
    May 2013
    merlin cycles(fork)experience-image.jpgmerlin cycles(fork)experience-image.jpgmerlin cycles(fork)experience-image.jpgmerlin cycles(fork)experience-image.jpgmerlin cycles(fork)experience-image.jpg

Here are a few pics of mine as received... Sorry for them being unrotated...

You can see the wear on the top cap nut, wiper tolerance, steerer trim, tool mark on the dust wiper surround etc...

Also my staunchions have markings for 120mm but these forks according to rockshox are not supposed to be available in all travel... At this point I'm not about to open them up to solve that one!

One last point to note is that the serial number laser etched into the crown is according to SRAM (yes I tried to check the factory spec) invalid!

So this thing could be some kind of ghost Frankenstein creation walking the bike world!

If it works I have no issues but I am irritated that someone thought that they were okay to dispatch internationally in this condition. They didn't even bother to clean away the aluminium filings from the cut some of which were on the seals...

A friend of mine has ordered the same fork due for delivery in the next few days... I plan to compare mine with his and go from there...

Still she has leaked no oil and rebound and lockout seems to be working albeit that things feel a bit stiff at the psi recommendation for my weight but word on the street is to ignore that and go with what feels good...

mtbr member
    One last point to note is that the serial number laser etched into the crown is according to SRAM (yes I tried to check the factory spec) invalid!
    That would really worry me. That is really odd.

mtbr member
    They are cheaper than everyone else by miles for a lot of Reba's - mine came in not retail pakaging but correct sealed pack for remote etc, no pump. Given the models they get that no one else gets, I'm guessing rockshox uses them as excess stock disposal -oems , returns etc.

The White Jeff W
    Quote Originally Posted by Slash5 View Post
    Curious what wheel set? Got a set of Sun Ringle Charger Comp's on their way from Chain Reaction and on the review someone made the same complaint.

Only the Pro wheels have straight pull spokes. The rest are J-bend.

Ive ordered several things from Merlin and have been happy with all of them, especially the prices. I put together a full XT/X9 level drivetrain for $309 (cranks with BB, rear derailleur, cassette, shifters and chain) and got some nice Formula brakes (T1) with rotors and adapters for $250. Those usually go for $350 per end not including rotors.
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    To be honest I never thought to check all that kind of stuff. Mine came in a box with the Pushloc remote, I had it installed by my LBS for the whopping sum of $35 and it's worked like a charm ever since. I do think that the recommended PSI on the fork is a little high though. It recommended 125 psi for me but that felt to stiff for me. I run it at about 100-105 and it is perfect.

If I were you I'd just contact Merlin with all the concerns you have raised and see what they say.

I believe they are a reputable company and will either have the answers to put your mind at ease or take the fork back if you are really unhappy.

mtbr member
    Had several pairs of forks of them and thousands of £ worth of kit, super, no problems. Very handy for me as they are only ten miles away from my home so go in to look before I buy.
    Trek Top Fuel - Santa Cruz Blur -Chinese FLYXII 29er

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I am on the fence about this at the moment. I have written to Merlin about this just for the record, but also know that I will be hard pressed to find another 15mm 29er fork with a 1-1/8th steerer that doesn't cost the earth!

I am waiting for their response...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Slash5 View Post
    Hope Hoops. 650b Hope Pro II EVO's with Stans Flow EX.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Wolverine.n here is Merlin's response to my concerns...

"We have a mixture of the 2013 and 2014 forks – so you will have been supplied with the 2014 model. They are covered under a 2-year warranty with ourselves and SRAM Tech Centre UK, the forks were purchased in bulk and so a small amount of the steerer was cut off but there should be plenty left, and this does not affect the warranty. We often have e-mails regarding small assembly marks but this is how they are assembled in the factory, and sometimes the ratchet that they use does leave very small marks – but they are a genuine product. If you are unhappy with the goods if you would like to return them as “zero value failed sale” then we can refund you."

I am still waiting for the pushloc to arrive before I make a decision but this does offer some peace of mind and their response time and keenness to resolve the matter should be commended...

mtbr member
    May 2013
    merlin cycles(fork)experience-image.jpg

I found this pic of a Reba bought off CRC. That steerer tube is long!
    So I am not surprised that mine may have been trimmed by Merlin even if only to fit it in the box!

mtbr member

Anyone else?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	39.2 KB 
ID:	861435

I found this pic of a Reba bought off CRC. That steerer tube is long!
    So I am not surprised that mine may have been trimmed by Merlin even if only to fit it in the box!
    Does anyone else happen to have any experience with ordering suspension forks from MERLIN CYCLES?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I have bought 3 sets of forks off Merlin. Rockshox Reba 100mm 26", RS Recon U Turn 26" and a Marzocchi Bomber 26". All 3 forks have been perfect the 2 Rockshox came in Brown OEM boxes with all parts, pump and manual. The Zocchi came in a retail box but was missing the extras and had a short steerer though I had measured the frame and it was just long enough. Only niggle was with the Recon IS mounts being quite a long way off lining up but Merlin payed £10 for me to get the mounts spotfaced by the LBS.

Spent a lot of money with them and they are my go to guys for chains, cassettes, gears and forks obviously LOL

mtbr member
    Thanks for the reply, trying to compile all the experiences I can